Thread: Hope is there but fans confidense of a playoff run isn't

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hope is there but fans confidense of a playoff run isn't

I think all of us want to see our Steelers in the post season as anything can happen once there, however I also believe the fans confidense of them making a run isn't there.
    We have to come to the reality that we just might not be good enough to sustain and stack some wins, as the picture gets vividly clear and the facts support that reality.
    Injuries this year on both units put us behind the eight ball as we couldn't get continuity, first it was Harrison have surgery in August that kept him out in the beginning of the season. Then our offensive line from beginning to now had to shuffle players in and out on a weekly basis it seems, and now the secondary. In that span we also had several of our backs injured at one point or another and it appears they haven't recovered to be 100%, and you can include Woodley and Polamalu too.
    Our sack record this year is the lowest in years, our run production is suffering, and the mistakes being made, penalty's are killing opportunities that keep drives alive.
    I've heard some fans say we might be better off losing our remaining games and select a high draft pick next year, for me I want the playoffs as I think most Steeler fans do, the Holidays will be here shortly and without our Steelers in the hunt it won't be the same.
    I hate to admit this but there is a strong possibility the Bengals could end our playoff hopes this Sunday, all you have to do is look at what transpired over the course of the season which will give clues to how good we are.
    Our front seven can't get pressure on the QB, and when you combine that with our injuries in the secondary it creates problems stopping teams and we have to rely on our offense to bail us out. Problem is, our offense is having their own issues, running the ball is one of them and the mistakes at critical times in the game hurt our chances.
    As I said the hope is there, but ask yourself do you really think we could run the table? I have my doubts which I hate to admit. We can't just turn it on like magic to make that run, but for me I hope they do and prove me wrong.

Rookie

User Info Menu

We, as Steeler fans, are really guaranteed only 16 meaningful games per year...anything else is gravy...

I choose to enjoy and make the most out of the games that we do have...hopefully, the run will extend into the postseason...

That would be great...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    We, as Steeler fans, are really guaranteed only 16 meaningful games per year...anything else is gravy...

I choose to enjoy and make the most out of the games that we do have...hopefully, the run will extend into the postseason...

That would be great...
    Agree. It is all about this Sunday. Lose and we can start meaningful discussions about the off season and that better draft pick scenario.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    ask yourself do you really think we could run the table?
    If we sneak in as the 6th seed, it would be a heck of a rough road...likely at New England, at Houston, and at Denver. Ugh.

If we win our last 2 games at home against Cincy and Cleveland, and the Ravens lose their last 2 games at home to the Giants and at Cincy (all reasonable possibilities), then we'd win the AFC North on the basis of a three-way 9-7 tiebreaker with the Ravens and Bengals, since we would be 3-1 in games between those teams, Baltimore would be 2-2 in these games, and Cincy would be 1-3 in these games. In that case, we would host a playoff games against a rookie QB (everyone drools over Luck, but he 18 INT's to go with 20 TD's and completes 54.6% of his passes. Compare that to Ben who has 6 INT's to go with 22 TD's and completes 64.1% of his passes. Amazing that Luck has more Pro Bowl votes than Ben, right?). Then we'd likely travel to Houston to play a team lead by Matt Schaub who has zero playoff experience (remember, T.J. Yates started both playoff games for them last year). They have a solid defense and running game, but not as dominant as it appeared earlier in the season. Win those two, and then you have the AFC Championship in New England or Denver...much more doable route than the 6th seed scenario.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In that case, we would host a playoff games against a rookie QB (everyone drools over Luck, but he 18 INT's to go with 20 TD's and completes 54.6% of his passes. Compare that to Ben who has 6 INT's to go with 22 TD's and completes 64.1% of his passes.
    Exactly, we win easy.
    Just like last year when the disparity in QB effectiveness was even greater (Tebow versus Ben).
    Just like now I was so confident and.......wait we lost that game.....Nevermind.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Exactly, we win easy.
    Just like last year when the disparity in QB effectiveness was even greater (Tebow versus Ben).
    Just like now I was so confident and.......wait we lost that game.....Nevermind.
    True, true...but I'd much rather be able to face off against rookie Luck at Heinz in the first round of the playoffs than having to travel to Brady's or Peyton's place (see what I did there) during wild card weekend...just sayin'.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.