Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    he said he doesn't ENVISION them having an impact... which IMO means he doesn't expect or draft with the expectation of a 1st rounder having an impact. If they do it's a plus but he envisions them being solid contributors down the road vs day one or year one.

We usually draft players and expect them to sit behind a vet and learn how it's done vs drafting a hole and plugging in day 1 with a rookie.
    The problem I have is that every year we see standout rookies starting and helping their teams win games. Look at our defense, other than Timmons and a "healthy" Troy and Ryan Clark is there anyone on our defense who is such a superior player that we couldn't put more talent on the field? It's not like these guys are making Pro Bowls like our great defense just a few years ago or setting sack and INT records for the team.

So what is keeping Steelers rookies from playing when rookies play all over the NFL? IMO it is an unnecessary resistance to just getting them out there and letting them show what they have. They don't have to replace the starter, but playing significant minutes over the course of the season shouldn't be an impossible task.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

he said he doesn't ENVISION them having an impact... which IMO means he doesn't expect or draft with the expectation of a 1st rounder having an impact. If they do it's a plus but he envisions them being solid contributors down the road vs day one or year one.

We usually draft players and expect them to sit behind a vet and learn how it's done vs drafting a hole and plugging in day 1 with a rookie.
    This is an astute observation. Not ENVISIONING an impact removes the weight of crushing expectations from a rookie player. As a result, they go out out and play football, developing at the rate they are capable of...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The problem I have is that every year we see standout rookies starting and helping their teams win games. Look at our defense, other than Timmons and a "healthy" Troy and Ryan Clark is there anyone on our defense who is such a superior player that we couldn't put more talent on the field? It's not like these guys are making Pro Bowls like our great defense just a few years ago or setting sack and INT records for the team.

So what is keeping Steelers rookies from playing when rookies play all over the NFL? IMO it is an unnecessary resistance to just getting them out there and letting them show what they have. They don't have to replace the starter, but playing significant minutes over the course of the season shouldn't be an impossible task.
    Honestly.. I don't see too many rookies standing out and helping teams win games. I think when we see a few who do it turns into "every where else but here"

Besides last year we have been a 10 to 12 win team most years... how much help do we need from rookies? Sure it would be nice to get more TO's from our D but does anyone think rookies would be the key to fixing that problem?

Besides TO's our D isn't nearly as bad as you make them out to be. I would prefer more "impact" rookies and young guys at skill positions on offense. I don't think our D is the reason we lost most of our games last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This is an astute observation. Not ENVISIONING an impact removes the weight of crushing expectations from a rookie player. As a result, they go out out and play football, developing at the rate they are capable of...
    exactly... and anything more is a bonus but looking at our past 10 years I can't see how anyone thinks we are doing this wrong. I would love to see more rookies play on D but only if they earn it... I'm not a fan of the complex D that puts guys on the sideline for 2 years but until our D is 15th... it's hard to see why they would change their approach.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think Jarvis Jones could make an immediate impact as a situational pass rusher from just about any LB spot. I'd like them stack 2 rushers to one side like a Woodley, Jones combo.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    My point still stands though...when 2/3 of our rookies make an impact their rookie year by FACT, you can hypothecize all day long why Colbert would make an untrue statement.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

A wise coach once said it is much easier to lose a game in the NFL by having someone not being in the right place at the right time. So while you may see 'flashes' of a rookie here and there while in a game, odds are very high that he will not be consistent enough to be starting every play. Most teams play rookies out of desperation, and that would include the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    My point still stands though...when 2/3 of our rookies make an impact their rookie year by FACT, you can hypothecize all day long why Colbert would make an untrue statement.
    probably because he didn't say rookies don't have an impact.

How many times has our FO and coaching staff say we drafted a guy to start on day 1? We don't draft guys with the plan of them starting on day 1.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

probably because he didn't say rookies don't have an impact.

How many times has our FO and coaching staff say we drafted a guy to start on day 1? We don't draft guys with the plan of them starting on day 1.
    You no ah speakah any engrish???

"Quite honestly, I don't envision anybody coming in and being an impact in Year 1," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said at Monday's pre-draft news conference.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    You no ah speakah any engrish???

"Quite honestly, I don't envision anybody coming in and being an impact in Year 1," Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said at Monday's pre-draft news conference.
    Envision: To picture in the mind; imagine.

Example... I don't envision Ike intercepting a pass in week 1.

This doesn't mean it hasn't happened in his career but I don't envision it happening anytime soon