Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five Questions for Five Potential Draftees

Backup

User Info Menu

Five Questions for Five Potential Draftees

1. If Troy can play consistently for at least two more years, do you still draft Vaccaro?

2. Do you draft Eifert with four capable TE starters on the roster?

3. If Worilds and Woodley get 10+ sacks this coming season, would drafting Jarvis Jones have been a mistake?

4. If Ziggy sucks it up and is let go after this year, should the next starter be drafted this year (Werner)?

5. Could Ben still throw for 4,000 this year with his current receiving core, or should FO trade back to nab a Hopkins or Hunter?

6. Do you draft Baccari Rambo just so that we can have somebody on the team named Rambo???

Legend

User Info Menu

1. If Troy can play consistently for at least two more years, do you still draft Vaccaro? How do you predict that. Please send this weekend's Powerball numbers! However, I would not draft Vaccaro in Round 1.

2. Do you draft Eifert with four capable TE starters on the roster? There aren't four capable TEs on the roster? Really? Miller is coming off a severe injury and is over 30. Spaeth is a career back up. Paulson will always be a back up. DJ Johnson shouldn't even be on the roster. So yes you draft Eifert who will be your starting TE for 8+ years after Millers retires.

3. If Worilds and Woodley get 10+ sacks this coming season, would drafting Jarvis Jones have been a mistake? It will be a mistake drafting him at #17 no matter how many sacks they have. he won't play as a rookie. He has injury concerns and work ethic concerns. Not #1 material. Remember Huey Richardson!

4. If Ziggy sucks it up and is let go after this year, should the next starter be drafted this year (Werner)? If we want our D Line to "occupy blockers" instead of turning them loose to go after the QB then no Round 1 DL.

5. Could Ben still throw for 4,000 this year with his current receiving core, or should FO trade back to nab a Hopkins or Hunter? No issue with that. We need more picks. Draft Eifert and that will help him get 4000 yards.

6. Do you draft Baccari Rambo just so that we can have somebody on the team named Rambo??? Sure, why not? He can play special teams and stand on the sideline for two years like any other defensive rookie we draft. The fans would have a good view of the name "Rambo" with him so close on the sidelines all the time.

Last edited by Oviedo; 04-19-2013 at 04:22 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

1. Sure. Clark ain't getting any younger either. Not my optimal pick necessarily, since I think the strength of the safety class is on day two, but it wouldn't send me into mourning or anything.

2. Not at #17. But with a tradedown I would. Eifert is better than Spaeth, Paulson, and Johnson.

3. No mistake. We drafted Timmons with the idea of playing him outside, but when Harrison and Woodley blew up with 10+ sacks each, we moved Timmons inside, and he's playing at a Pro Bowl level there (perhaps our best player on defense last year). Imagine the havoc that Timmons and Jones could do inside if Woodley and Worilds were getting double digit sacks on the outside.

4. Werner is a 4-3 DE, not a 3-4 DE.

5. I think Ben could throw for 4000 yards with his current receivers, but adding a Hopkins or Hunter would give them a dimension that they don't have, and potential #1-type wideout in the future when Jerricho and Plex are gone.

6. Love the name, love his game, but doubt that he becomes a Steeler because of all the off-the-field stuff (with the team getting burned by that recently, I doubt they take many character risks in this draft).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sager View Post
    1. If Troy can play consistently for at least two more years, do you still draft Vaccaro?

3. If Worilds and Woodley get 10+ sacks this coming season, would drafting Jarvis Jones have been a mistake?

4. If Ziggy sucks it up and is let go after this year, should the next starter be drafted this year (Werner)?

5. Could Ben still throw for 4,000 this year with his current receiving core, or should FO trade back to nab a Hopkins or Hunter?

6. Do you draft Baccari Rambo just so that we can have somebody on the team named Rambo???

1. Don't like Vaccaro

2. Yes, but this is likely why we may not take him

3. No, you can never have too many pass rushers and Jarvis is built to play ROLB while the other 2 are LOLBs

4. Not a necessity

5. Yes. Ben to Plax is going to be electric again.

6. Only if he changes his first name to John and he brings poison tipped arrows to camp and steals Keisel's celebration.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

1. I would pass on Vaccaro.

2. If you can trade down and get Eifert...perfect

3. I would not draft Jones in the first. If TS pick him, I truly hope he proves me wrong though.

4. Ziggy should be let go and another DT or NT should be drafted this year. Not sure I'd go Werner at 17.

5. I believe he still could get 4K with this group but another playmaker would lead to scores. Why get all the yardage between the 20s if you can't get 6?

6. Being a motorcycle guy, I would prefer K Caleb Sturgis. Every time he makes a GW field goal maybe we get :
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting list of questions and nice first post.

1. If Troy can play consistently for at least two more years, do you still draft Vaccaro? Yes, if the Steelers think he is the guy. I liked Vaccaro early but would rather grab a safety in round 2-3 from the deep class. There is no depth at safety, Troy and Clark are getting older, and at worst, a good cover safety could contribute in sub packages.

2. Do you draft Eifert with four capable TE starters on the roster? Eifert, to me, is a one dimensional receiving TE. If you are going to draft a receiving option, I would prefer a WR. I don't see Eifert giving you the production you would want from the 17th pick. I would be ok with the pick, especially with a trade down, but I don't think Eifert will be BPA.

3. If Worilds and Woodley get 10+ sacks this coming season, would drafting Jarvis Jones have been a mistake? I have a hard time seeing Woodley and Worilds both staying healthy for 16 games. I go back and forth on Jones - great production, but age and other concerns. I don't think you can ever have too many pass rushers.

4. If Ziggy sucks it up and is let go after this year, should the next starter be drafted this year (Werner)? Not in the first round. Ziggy Hood's production, or lack thereof, can be easily replaced by any mid-low level FA. Depth at DE is a concern moving forward, but I would not invest any more than a mid-late round developmental pick.

5. Could Ben still throw for 4,000 this year with his current receiving core, or should FO trade back to nab a Hopkins or Hunter? I would like to see a weapon added for Ben. Brown and Sanders are below average starters. I would like to see a WR within the first three rounds, regardless of how it is done.

6. Do you draft Baccari Rambo just so that we can have somebody on the team named Rambo??? Great name, like the turnover potential, but as Ruthless pointed out, character issues.

Legend

User Info Menu

1.If Troy can play consistently for at least two more years, do you still draft Vaccaro?

History tells us much. Troy doesn't stay healthy for full seasons. Drafting Vaccaro to learn behind the best SS to ever play the game makes much sense.

Absolutely. I would be please with Eifert or Ertz. Having two terrific TEs creates mismatches and causes problems for teams due to being able to run and pass effectively out of the same formations. Get a top TE and a top running back in this draft and watch what happens when Miller comes back.

I don't believe so. Jones would find the field, and would be the primary back up. When do our linebackers stay healthy?

Yes, but not Warner...wait til the 4th for John Simon.

If Ben stays healthy he could throw for 4000 yards with Troy Edwards and Dwight Stone as his starters. A QB makes WRs not the other way around.

No, but you do draft him because he is a playmaker.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Great questions - nice first post.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All we have to do is draft Eifert and fire Lebeau and we're golden.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post

Yes, but not Warner...wait til the 4th for John Simon.
    I mentioned in my earlier post that Werner's not a 3-4 DE (he's more a 4-3 DE), but Simon's no 3-4 DE either. The prototypical 3-4 DE for us is 6'5"-6'6" and 295-305 lbs. At 6'1", 257 lbs., Simon is smaller than LaMarr Woodley. If we drafted him, he'd be an OLB for us, not a potential replacement for Hood.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.