Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had told me that an ex-Steeler would tweet something stupid re: current events

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Soooo.... I didn't mean to start a whole discussion on gay rights here. I was more saying "Har, har, look another twitter idiot. Looks like we got rid of two instead of one." Since we're in the middle of it:

I'm always a little taken back how religion is always invoked in discussions about homosexuality. There are a lot of controversial sins that get discussed w/o religion being tossed out there. Murder, rape, theft, being a Raven, etc. My only conclusion is that the only thing that is making homosexuality taboo IS religion. It's not limited to Christianity, but the confusing thing about Christianity is that Jesus never said much on the subject. The verse that's ALWAYS quoted is from the Old Testament, and is sandwiched in between other things that no one follows or gives a **** a bout. It's all very confusing to recovering Catholic, now atheist such as myself.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    Soooo.... I didn't mean to start a whole discussion on gay rights here. I was more saying "Har, har, look another twitter idiot. Looks like we got rid of two instead of one." Since we're in the middle of it:

I'm always a little taken back how religion is always invoked in discussions about homosexuality. There are a lot of controversial sins that get discussed w/o religion being tossed out there. Murder, rape, theft, being a Raven, etc. My only conclusion is that the only thing that is making homosexuality taboo IS religion. It's not limited to Christianity, but the confusing thing about Christianity is that Jesus never said much on the subject. The verse that's ALWAYS quoted is from the Old Testament, and is sandwiched in between other things that no one follows or gives a **** a bout. It's all very confusing to recovering Catholic, now atheist such as myself.

Romans 1:26–27
    26 For this reason wGod gave them up to xdishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, ymen committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

New Testament.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    No they do not make a choice to be gay. They can choose to hide it but they are born that way. Took a identity in women in sports class that showed the genetic differences in how people are born. There are chicks born with a vag but the genes and body features and even hormones of a dude where they have so much testosterone their clits grow into small penises and stuff. There are even people born as hermaphrodites with a penis and a vag and the parents pretty much have to pick which way to name the kid and raise them as. Thats Gods magic at work right there.
    [url]http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/genetics_of_homosexuality.html[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Powell View Post
    Romans 1:26–27
    26 For this reason wGod gave them up to xdishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, ymen committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

New Testament.
    Not from the gospel, right? So not the word of Jesus, no? Also, pretty open ended.

It's also not the quote you almost always see in folks defense.

Backup

User Info Menu

God only has to make mention that it is wrong once...You now have several verses. God is real man...trust me. He changed my life. Its not about religion...its about a relationship with Jesus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Not from the gospel, right? So not the word of Jesus, no? Also, pretty open ended.

It's also not the quote you almost always see in folks defense.
    You don't get the bible do you? The whole is written by God. If someone told someone to write a paper and write everything he said and he did then obviously it's his word. Not the writers if he's being told what to write and is being monitored so as to not make a mistake. The whole bible has as much weight as the gospels.

Don't nitpick it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    God only has to make mention that it is wrong once...You now have several verses. God is real man...trust me. He changed my life. Its not about religion...its about a relationship with Jesus.
    I'm happy that you've found comfort and happiness via religion. It's not for me, plain and simple. If you stop and look at it from my side: if i don't believe, than what hold does his book/word/teachings have over me? There's a lot of really good lessons in the bible, there's a lot of crazy contradictions in the bible, there's a lot of really bad advice in the bible.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You don't get the bible do you? The whole is written by God. If someone told someone to write a paper and write everything he said then obviously it's his word. The whole bible has as much weight as the gospels.

Don't nitpick it.
    You don't seem to get it. I don't believe in god. So it's written by no one but man in my mind... Thus it holds no sway. I REALLY don't want to get into a huge theological debate here. I'm just asking for someone to defend homophobia w/o citing a higher power saying it's bad.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You don't seem to get it. I don't believe in god. So it's written by no one but man in my mind... Thus it holds no sway. I REALLY don't want to get into a huge theological debate here. I'm just asking for someone to defend homophobia w/o citing a higher power saying it's bad.
    Only the people who don't know Hebrew or have read just a few verses think there are contradictions.

[url]http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bible_contradictions.html[/url]

Also if you didn't want to start a religious thing then don't start something obviously sensitive to religious people.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Only the people who don't know Hebrew or have read just a few verses think there are contradictions.

[URL]http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bible_contradictions.html[/URL]

Also if you didn't want to start a religious thing then don't start something obviously sensitive to religious people.
    So I have to go all the way back to the original hebrew transcripts to find a "clean" version of the bible? Yet almost no church anywhere uses that version. Bizarre.

I didn't bring religion up, it was out before I even looked at this thread a second time. It always is because it's the _only_ justification folks have for denying other people happiness. This is something obviously sensitive to NON religious people as well. It goes both ways here. I'm every bit as entitled to my faith or lack there of.