Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Gay burned again.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    How?
    As stated we still have a ton of dead money if cut Ike. We dont have that kind of cap space.
    He's residing on another planet currently.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    How?
    As stated we still have a ton of dead money if cut Ike. We dont have that kind of cap space.
    If not Ike this year, then old man Foote, Burress and possibly Keisel.

It's not that difficult.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The Wallace and Lewis contracts aren't even close. One signing would be like moving "heaven and earth" (Wallace - 5 yrs/60 mil, 27 million guaranteed) and the other (Lewis - 5 yrs/25.5 mil, 10.5 guaranteed) was affordable and decent for a #1 or #2 CB.
    The Lewis deal WAS reasonable true.
    "Affordable" is both a combination of cost (reasonable) and available funds (which we did not have).

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

If not Ike this year, then old man Foote, Burress and possibly Keisel.
    It's not that difficult.
    Buress gets nada.....so it is meaningless.

Dump Foote AND Keisel? creating talent drops?

Lewis has value for the future once Ike is gone true.

But Ike STILL is the best cover guy and Cortez made more plays IN THREE STARTS than both starters COMBINED last season.
    Cortez created five turnovers in three games.
    Ike had ONE pick.....Lewis created ONE fumble.....starters had two turnovers TOTAL

Takaway, Cortez and Ike would have been starting EVEN IF LEWIS WERE SIGNED.

Lewis and his contract would be on the bench.

Losing Keisel and Foote hurts the team more.....at least in the short term.

Restructure Ike for the value of a mid 30s corner and we have a couple of years to draft a partner for Cortez after Ike is gone.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 08-12-2013 at 07:49 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

The Wallace and Lewis contracts aren't even close. One signing would be like moving "heaven and earth" (Wallace - 5 yrs/60 mil, 27 million guaranteed) and the other (Lewis - 5 yrs/25.5 mil, 10.5 guaranteed) was affordable and decent for a #1 or #2 CB.
    You assume that Lewis would had signed with the Steelers for that amount. I don't know if Lewis would had. It appears that Lewis gave NO a home town discount. It's very possible that Lewis didn't want to remain in Pittsburgh or play for any other team. Several teams courted Lewis. That suggests to me that a bidding war could had taken place if Lewis allowed it.

Here is what Lewis stated,"Those guys were trying to offer more money, but I had it set in my mind the whole time if the Saints offered me I was going to come home. I had to get it done," "I looked at it like I'm home. I'm from Algiers. I went to O.P. Walker. A lot of guys don't really have that opportunity to play for their hometown team. Then when I had the opportunity to sit down with Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, Rob Ryan and my position coach, (Wesley) McGriff, they really made me feel at home. And that's something I had in Pittsburgh." "When I first walked in there I felt like I was at home. I had opportunities to go to teams that offered me a lot more money. But everybody can't say that they had the opportunity to play in their back yard. Even when I was in Pittsburgh I would go back and watch four or five Saints games just to get acquainted with what they were doing." Lewis' affinity for the Saints almost cost him on draft day. "I almost didn't get drafted because I told all the teams my wish was to play for the Saints," he said. "I let that be known when I was coming out of college at the Senior Bowl."

Sounds to me that Lewis was dead set on playing for the Saints. I hope this puts an end to the discussion.
    Last edited by BURGH86STEEL; 08-12-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    If he stays around he will likely restructure and the Steelers don't usually keep players past their desired level of effectiveness. I also find your comment about him being a non-playmaker comical considering the guy has never been able to catch the football. He's a staple on this team for a reason. As far as your latter statement is concerned should I run down the list of corners that remained effective beyond 34.5 years old? It's not a enormous list but it's still a decent sized one and not one still has or HAD the speed Ike has in his arsenal.

I happen to agree with this. How do you measure a player by the plays that are not made by the opponent because of the player? This is the Ike dilemma. My guess is there were plenty of plays that didn't happen on Ike's side of the field because of his coverage. The proof is that Keenan Lewis had the second most passes defensed last season, meaning they were throwing away from Ike's side.

I wouldn't sign him to a long term, but extending by a couple years would be fine.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    You assume that Lewis would had signed with the Steelers for that amount. I don't know if Lewis would had. It appears that Lewis gave NO a home town discount. It's very possible that Lewis didn't want to remain in Pittsburgh or play for any other team. Several teams courted Lewis. That suggests to me that a bidding war could had taken place if Lewis allowed it.

Here is what Lewis stated,"Those guys were trying to offer more money, but I had it set in my mind the whole time if the Saints offered me I was going to come home. I had to get it done," "I looked at it like I'm home. I'm from Algiers. I went to O.P. Walker. A lot of guys don't really have that opportunity to play for their hometown team. Then when I had the opportunity to sit down with Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis, Rob Ryan and my position coach, (Wesley) McGriff, they really made me feel at home. And that's something I had in Pittsburgh." "When I first walked in there I felt like I was at home. I had opportunities to go to teams that offered me a lot more money. But everybody can't say that they had the opportunity to play in their back yard. Even when I was in Pittsburgh I would go back and watch four or five Saints games just to get acquainted with what they were doing." Lewis' affinity for the Saints almost cost him on draft day. "I almost didn't get drafted because I told all the teams my wish was to play for the Saints," he said. "I let that be known when I was coming out of college at the Senior Bowl."

Sounds to me that Lewis was dead set on playing for the Saints. I hope this puts an end to the discussion.
    Wow......that seems to really make the point moot.

TCFCLTC-

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post

It says nothing about whether the Steelers offered a contract. I thought Lewis had said that the Steelers didn't even offer him one which is beyond uncomprehendable.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I happen to agree with this. How do you measure a player by the plays that are not made by the opponent because of the player? This is the Ike dilemma. My guess is there were plenty of plays that didn't happen on Ike's side of the field because of his coverage. The proof is that Keenan Lewis had the second most passes defensed last season, meaning they were throwing away from Ike's side.

I wouldn't sign him to a long term, but extending by a couple years would be fine.
    And I remember people bitching and moaning that the reason Lewis is gone is because he didn't make any INTs. Well, if that's the case, Ike is nothing more than a older, higher dollar Lewis because he can't catch a cold and that's been proven throughout his entire career.

Legend

User Info Menu

It says nothing about whether the Steelers offered a contract. I thought Lewis had said that the Steelers didn't even offer him one which is beyond uncomprehendable.
    The Steelers probably talked to Lewis and knew he wanted to go home. It wouldn't had matter what the Steelers offered Lewis. Lewis was dead set on playing for the New Orleans Saints.