Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WR Coach Scott Montgomery Leaving

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

WR Coach Scott Montgomery Leaving

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-wr-coach-montgomery-leaves-for-job-at-duke-673940/[/URL]
    Steelers' WR coach Montgomery leaves for job at Duke

February 8, 2013 9:12
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will have yet another opening on his coaching staff to fill because assistant Scottie Montgomery is taking a job with Duke University.
    Montgomery coached the Steelers' wide receivers the past three seasons. He will become the offensive coordinator at Duke, a source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    Montgomery coached the wide receivers at Duke, his alma mater, for four seasons before joining the Steelers staff in 2010.
    He was among Duke's all-time leading receivers.
    Tomlin has hired two coaches since the end of the season, Jack Bicknell Jr. as his offensive line coach and Danny Smith to coach the special teams. He still has not filled one other position.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

That's a shame.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Offensive coaches leaving like rats from a sinking ship.....
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Offensive coaches leaving like rats from a sinking ship.....
    ...for promotions...

Backup

User Info Menu

Hire Hines Ward

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RKSteel View Post
    Hire Hines Ward
    Would be great to see him as a part of the team but I imagine that he would have to take a massive paycut.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    ...for promotions...

I'm torn on this notion....is becoming the HC at UTEP a big promotion from being an OL coach? If you become a HC in college, isn't that just about the pinnacle of a college coaches career, where if you have your foot in the door in the NFL you can become more.

Same with becoming the OC of Duke Football? Pardon me but Duke isn't a real hotbed for football and WR coaches can get bumped up to OC in the NFL.

Maybe I'm mistaken. I know a guy whose kid played for North Allegheny where Kuglers son played, and he said that Kugler really disliked Haley and that is why he jumped at the chance to leave. He said/ he said...I know....but just what I was told. But I guess I can understand Kugler taking off for a HC gig at his alma mater.....but Montgomery going to Duke doesn't seem like a real big promotion.
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I'm torn on this notion....is becoming the HC at UTEP a big promotion from being an OL coach? If you become a HC in college, isn't that just about the pinnacle of a college coaches career, where if you have your foot in the door in the NFL you can become more.

Same with becoming the OC of Duke Football? Pardon me but Duke isn't a real hotbed for football and WR coaches can get bumped up to OC in the NFL.

Maybe I'm mistaken. I know a guy whose kid played for North Allegheny where Kuglers son played, and he said that Kugler really disliked Haley and that is why he jumped at the chance to leave. He said/ he said...I know....but just what I was told. But I guess I can understand Kugler taking off for a HC gig at his alma mater.....but Montgomery going to Duke doesn't seem like a real big promotion.
    Duke was coach Montgomery Alma mater also. I think thatis always going to be interesting. I think I remember Hines saying he would like to coach at Goegia. Duke O put up massive numbers last year. If he does the same. He has a better chance to get a bigger gig. Rather than just coaching our WR.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    Duke was coach Montgomery Alma mater also. I think thatis always going to be interesting. I think I remember Hines saying he would like to coach at Goegia. Duke O put up massive numbers last year. If he does the same. He has a better chance to get a bigger gig. Rather than just coaching our WR.

OK...yeah...not trying to act like a know-it-all....just wasn't sure how going to the college ranks would help you in your quest to become more in the NFL....when the NFL is the top league. As you said, maybe the call to go home is more meaningful to them. I guess look at a guy like Randy Fichtner though. He was a stud for Memphis football and controlled his own offense where here he won't be made an OC and will be a QB coach till he leaves. Wonder why Arians wouldn't look at Fichtner as his OC. I know Arians will really be the one in charge of the offense out there but you would think if he had a good relationship with Fichtner he would consider him as his OC.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

the money in college football is so much better than it was, even 5 years ago.

gotta be a factor.