Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Larry Foote Says Players Don’t Trust LeBeau

Legend

User Info Menu

If Lebeau has the players then it works.
    If he doesnt have players and it doesnt work, then it is up to the coach to adjust and call things that work.
    Sort of like Arians over the past few years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Oviedo I'm beginning to see your point.
    Other teams have figured us out on defense.
    If we have the players in there that can be perfect on every play then we succeed, but if one player is out of position the D folds like a house of cards.
    Right now we dont have the players to make Lebeaus defense work so he needs to adjust like he did during the Jets game.
    In Oakland the stubborn old guy was back.
    It's been that way for the past couple of seasons. He won't change what he does. I don't know if it is ego or just doesn't know what to do but we have to make some major changes. Our defense should fit our players not pound our round players into a square defense.

My fundamental issue all along has been the talent pool. What we try to do "converting" players and "projecting" how players will fit in new positions in IMO inefficient and unsustainable. That is why we have had to hold onto players for so long because they are the ones we were successful with the conversion. However, the success rate of the conversions is too low for long term sustainability.

I just think it is so much more efficient to take players and put them in their college positions as 4-3 DT and DE and LBs and let them grow versus turning everything on its head and hoping for the best.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seriously....
    ~Do the Ravens now have a "predictable" defense since it's been around for years???
    ........or is their defense not as dominant this year as in recent years b/c their personnel isn't dominant?

How about Bill BellyChick???
    How long has he been around....does he "mix it up" week to week, year to year.
    ....I see the Pats defense struggle over the past few years b/c of personnel.

Face it. Right now the Steelers have ONE dominant pass rusher and ONE playmaker that causes turnovers and he's on the sidelines.

Who here really thinks that if Harrison and Troy were 100%, Casey was 29 yrs old and Aaron Smith was 30 and James Farrior was at his peak we'd be blaming LeBeau for our problems???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Seriously....
    ~Do the Ravens now have a "predictable" defense since it's been around for years???
    ........or is their defense not as dominant this year as in recent years b/c their personnel isn't dominant?

How about Bill BellyChick???
    How long has he been around....does he "mix it up" week to week, year to year.
    ....I see the Pats defense struggle over the past few years b/c of personnel.

Face it. Right now the Steelers have ONE dominant pass rusher and ONE playmaker that causes turnovers and he's on the sidelines.

Who here really thinks that if Harrison and Troy were 100%, Casey was 29 yrs old and Aaron Smith was 30 and James Farrior was at his peak we'd be blaming LeBeau for our problems???
    You captured the essense of the problem. Harrsion and Troy ARE on the sidelines, Casey ISN'T 29 and Smith is gone but LeBeau is running the exact same defense. The probelm is he won't change to account for what he has. You're arguing that it really was always the players and LeBeau without them is at a loss.

And NO I think some people will never blame LeBeau and see him as part of the problem. That is part of the problem because he pretty much has been relieved of any accountability because of past accomplishments. Never a good thing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems to me that Foote is acknowledging that at times, some players have been attempting to do their own thing outside of the structure of the LeBeau defense, which is one of the major problems that they have been having up to this point so far this year, and he's trying to say players need to just do their job (i.e. trust the defense) instead. Sounds more like a veteran leader explaining to the less experienced members of his defense that everyone needs to play their role effectively in order for the defense to work, instead of shirking your designated responsibilities by trying to be a hero out there. Let me try to interpret what I think he meant, line by line.

"Sometimes, you can get caught up in just trying to play hard and aggressive, but you’re not trusting the defense. Not the other players, but the defense."
    Sounds to me like he's saying that guys occassionally try to aggressively make a big play themselves, but thereby vacate their designated gap responsibility within the framework of the overall defense. It's not as if the players don't necessarily trust the guy next to them (and are therefore overcompensating for another player's weaknesses), it's just that your individual desire to go make a play sometimes takes over.

"And that can’t happen."
    Now he's acknowledging that can't happen...in order for the LeBeau defense to work, everyone needs to be taking care of their own responsibilites within the defense, rather than going "rogue" in an effort to make a big play. Need to have 11 guys acting as one singular organism working together, rather than 11 guys all trying to make a play on their own.

"The bottom line is that we have to make a play when we get a chance."
    We have to make a play when we get a chance, as opposed to going out of your way in an effort to make a play outside of the framework of the defense. We have to win our individual matchups and if the play flows our way, we have to do what we can to make the tackle, sack, interception, pass defensed, whatever.
    Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 09-29-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I just think it is so much more efficient to take players and put them in their college positions as 4-3 DT and DE and LBs and let them grow versus turning everything on its head and hoping for the best.
    Please, go back and look at the first round defensive lineman in the past few drafts and tell me if you still believe that. I've posted them many times before, and it does not support your theory.

Legend

User Info Menu

Saying that its execution causing the D to fail is a little obvious. Any D that you play will be successful if the players execute. The biggest change in this D is the player change-over and that is the root to our D's problems.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can't believe that some ppl don't understand that having your 3rd string olb playing the majority of the snaps... That our only DECENT back up NT retired. That our long term replacement for him is a rookie who is probably playing one gap responsibility instead of two gap. That our training camp wonders only looked good bc they were playing future grocery baggers. And these ppl blame the scheme. Everyone in the world saw this coming. Our entire leadership structure on defense is gone.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Seems to me that Foote is acknowledging that at times, some players have been attempting to do their own thing outside of the structure of the LeBeau defense, which is one of the major problems that they have been having up to this point so far this year, and he's trying to say players need to just do their job (i.e. trust the defense) instead. Sounds more like a veteran leader explaining to the less experienced members of his defense that everyone needs to play their role effectively in order for the defense to work, instead of shirking your designated responsibilities by trying to be a hero out there. Let me try to interpret what I think he meant, line by line.

Sounds to me like he's saying that guys occassionally try to aggressively make a big play themselves, but thereby vacate their designated gap responsibility within the framework of the overall defense. It's not as if the players don't necessarily trust the guy next to them (and are therefore overcompensating for another player's weaknesses), it's just that your individual desire to go make a play sometimes takes over.

Now he's acknowledging that can't happen...in order for the LeBeau defense to work, everyone needs to be taking care of their own responsibilites within the defense, rather than going "rogue" in an effort to make a big play. Need to have 11 guys acting as one singular organism working together, rather than 11 guys all trying to make a play on their own.

We have to make a play when we get a chance, as opposed to going out of your way in an effort to make a play outside of the framework of the defense. We have to win our individual matchups and if the play flows our way, we have to do what we can to make the tackle, sack, interception, pass defensed, whatever.
    Excellent breakdown & mirrors my thoughts exactly.

That said, it's clear that Casey has nothing left in the tank & Woodley apparently roomed with Casey during training camp because he looks like he's blimped up & has no explosion...he clearly needs someone to be threat on the other side to be more effective.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

Thanks Ruthless for being the word of reason. All Foote was saying is you can't freelance. You have to do your job and when it's in your area of responsibility then you have to make the play. I think many on here are making this a big deal when it's really common sense. Foote was just reiterating what everyone already knows.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!