Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Colbert

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    The only problem I see with Colbert, by the way isnt the last 5 years in the draft. If his drafting were so horrible other teams wouldn't be reloading with his draft picks. However, restructuring contracts and loading it to future years is what is killing us. This is a relatively new concept (mid 90's) that we've been doing heavily since the lockout. When you start out the new year 30 million owed before you even factor in existing contracts, you're in trouble in regards to re-signing your own. Khan is supposed to be a math wiz, so maybe we can get it together...........
    Yes to this. Other teams seem to want our terrible draft picks which is surprising because they are all better than us according to some.

Our issue is purely related to the cap and it is because we kept too many players on defense for too long. I'll get criticized I'm sure for saying this but that is a direct result of players taking too long to develop in LeBeau's system. Once you get them there you almost have to keep them or start over again.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Yes to this. Other teams seem to want our terrible draft picks which is surprising because they are all better than us according to some.

Our issue is purely related to the cap and it is because we kept too many players on defense for too long. I'll get criticized I'm sure for saying this but that is a direct result of players taking too long to develop in LeBeau's system. Once you get them there you almost have to keep them or start over again.
    The issue isn't about 2nd contracts...that's the goal. Have players good enough that you keep them for a 2nd contract. So these guys taking too long IMO isn't the cause of the salary cap issues.

The salary cap issues as they currently are relate directly to success. When you have success (2 SB wins, 1 more appearance, playoffs most years) you do what you can to keep that going, and that means keeping the players who got you there. Somewhere along the way those guys are going to fall off, and that's where the Steelers are now. It's not necessarily that the young guys weren't developing fast enough, in most cases the cause was that the guys in the spots ahead of them were just too good still.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    The issue isn't about 2nd contracts...that's the goal. Have players good enough that you keep them for a 2nd contract. So these guys taking too long IMO isn't the cause of the salary cap issues.

The salary cap issues as they currently are relate directly to success. When you have success (2 SB wins, 1 more appearance, playoffs most years) you do what you can to keep that going, and that means keeping the players who got you there. Somewhere along the way those guys are going to fall off, and that's where the Steelers are now. It's not necessarily that the young guys weren't developing fast enough, in most cases the cause was that the guys in the spots ahead of them were just too good still.
    But we haven't been good at recognizing the point where player reach the "point of diminshing returns." I'll give the Patriots all the credit in the world because they don't hesitate to part ways with players even when they are still good and get something in return like draft picks versus getting nothing but "dead money" against the cap. We need to get better at that.

I don't blame the front office we just took a different aproach but it would be better to trade guys and get something. Like you said, no one can argue with the success and we are just entering another, hopefully short, period of the Dark Ages.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    I was worried about your posts until I realized who was posting it. Once I realized who was posting I put zero weight in it. Side note is there an ignore poster option on this board?
    There is and it is a thing of beauty:

This message is hidden because lloydroid is on your [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist"]ignore list[/URL].

[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/40268-Colbert?p=554548#post554548"]View Post[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/profile.php?userlist=ignore&do=removelist&u=14349"]Remove user from ignore list[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Colbert has generally done an ok job of drafting. For example, the third round in 2009 yielded Urbik, Wallace and Lewis. All three are starters. Shipley logged some time with the Colts this year, David Johnson has contributed (and as a seventh rounder, that is fine). Ziggy Hood is the big question mark from that draft. The 2008 draft was an unmitigated disaster and really set the team back. If Mendy and Sweed had panned out the way most of us hoped and thought they would, the Steelers would be fine. Now, they need a starting RB and WR.

One thing that has hurt recently is taking players at non-premium positions who are not elite, and who are not even above average starters. If you are going to draft a 3-4 DE, you want somebody who is going to really dominate the line of scrimmage. Somebody who offenses have to account for and can impact a game, even if they don't necessarily impact a stat sheet. Ziggy Hood is not that guy. This year, Cam Heyward needs to show that he is that guy.

Is Ziggy Hood any better than, say, Mike Devito, a low-mid level FA signing with the Chiefs? Not really. He isn't even a KVO level player yet, IMO. The Steelers have invested heavily in the trenches. The offensive line was set back by injuries, but has a chance to produce given the investment there. If the offensive line produces, that will obviously help a lot. The defensive line, for all the investment, still looks to be barely average (though Heyward still has a chance), and that is a problem.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Who are you and what have you done with squidkid?
    i thought i would see what its like to strick my head in the sand and become a lemming.
    btw, its kinda fun and easy. just agree with every move and say the steelers are the greatest. no thinking. no knowledge. just pure homerism..........

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Ah yes, when it goes good it is never because of Tomlin and when it goes bad it is always because of Tomlin.
    It has nothing to do with things going right or wrong. Just answer the question: Did Tomlin coach Harrison to make him a great ROLBer? Not right or wrong just yes or no.

Legend

User Info Menu

Colbert: Team has 'wants,' not 'needs'

Bob Labriola
    Steelers Digest

The Steelers roster has undergone a lot of change since their 2012 NFL season ended in a disappointing 8-8 non-playoff season, and in a January interview General Manager Kevin Colbert forecast as much. “Again, if we don’t change 8-8, and we don’t change the roster that produced 8-8,” said Colbert at the time, “we’d be silly to expect a better result if we have the same group of guys.”

It’s now mid-March, and the Steelers have experienced change. James Harrison was cut after he and the team could not come to an agreement on an adjusted salary for 2013. Rashard Mendenhall (Arizona) and Keenan Lewis (New Orleans) and Mike Wallace (Miami) exercised their rights as unrestricted free agents and have signed with other teams. This is not to indicate Harrison, Lewis, Mendenhall, and Wallace were the culprits in last season’s 8-8, now should it be taken to mean Colbert sees these departures as positives. But it does represent change, and change was necessary.

“You could obviously say that we lost starters and some starters have left us,” said Colbert from Phoenix as the NFL convened there on Sunday for its annual spring meetings. “To this point we re-signed one starter and that would be Ramon Foster. Of course, Greg Warren is our starting long-sapper, and we’ve tried to add some complimentary pieces. We are still evolving as a roster, and I don’t think that part of it will be completely done until we get through the draft and the college free agents. There’s still time in free agency to make moves, and the draft will provide the final pieces that we’re going to put back together with the roster.

“Only time will tell,” added Colbert when asked to assess how this will impact the team’s record in 2013. “We’ll see where that goes. You could also argue that we lost pieces from an 8-8 team. So, can we get better? We hope. Had we re-signed folks, we were hoping to be better but now that we didn’t we have to find replacements, again, via free agency or the draft. We hope that we ultimnately are a better team.”

One of the reported changes was Emmanuel Sanders signing an offer sheet as a restricted free agent with the New England Patriots. Had that happened, the Steelers would have had seven days to match the Patriots offer or lose Sanders to New England and receive its third-round pick in this upcoming draft. Colbert said the Steelers have not received a signed offer sheet from the Patriots so far, nor do they have any knowledge that one is on the way.

But even if Sanders is to present the Steelers with a signed offer sheet some time before the April 19 deadline to do so, and even if the team would fail to match and end up losing him to go along with the others already gone, Colbert maintains the team won’t panic.

“We’ll wait to see what fits. If a player makes sense, if we think he’s a better player and we can make it fit financially, then we’ll investigate,” said Colbert. “There are really no limitations on looking for other guys.”

Recently, the Steelers have gone looking for familiarity. William Gay was brought back to fortify the depth chart at cornerback, and the same applies to Matt Spaeth at tight end, and Plaxico Burress at wide receiver. None of those signings necessarily mean the Steelers are satisfied now with those areas of their roster, Colbert said, just as none of the departures from those areas necessarily mean the team believes it needs to add to them.

“I don’t like to use the word ‘need,’” said Colbert. “I never did. I never will. It’s going to be ‘wants.’ We don’t know yet. We don’t know until we get through free agency. We’re going to continue to monitor every guy who’s available. There might be some (free agents) we didn’t think we had a chance (to sign) and all of a sudden the market changes and it becomes a discussion. We’re not going to lock in on one position, or prioritize one position over another. If there’s a player available in free agency who can make us better in whatever way he can do it, then we’ve got to look at him. It’s the same thing with the draft. We’re never going to go in saying, ‘We have to have this position.’”

Colbert also responded to questions pertaining to a number of other areas of the roster and/or moves the Steelers have made so far this offseason.

On signing Bruce Gradkowski as a veteran backup quarterback, and whether it signals the end for Charlie Batch: “Bruce is a young, veteran backup. When I say young, I mean he still has some productive years, and it’s not a year-to-year proposition. We were hoping to get an experienced backup who not only knows the league but knows our division very well. Of course, he understands the tradition of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and he wanted to be a part of that. There’s a lot of value in having a person like that in that role, as well. (As for Charlie Batch), we haven’t ruled anybody out at this point. As I said earlier, we still have to continue to put this thing together, and it won’t be finalized until we hit the 90-player mark after the draft.”

On what went wrong with Mendenhall in 2012: “Rashard had health issues. I still believe it takes players with an ACL injury a full year (to recover). They may come back before a year, but I still don’t think they are 100 percent until that full year is up. Obviously, we had Casey Hampton and we had a guy like Max Starks who started from Week 1, but they play different positions. Every player is different. Honestly, I don’t think (Mendenhall) ever quite got to the point where he was 100 percent as we’ve seen him before.”

On whether no Mendenhall means the Steelers need a franchise running back: “I think we need more production out of the running back position than we got last year. Of course, Jonathan Dwyer has signed his (restricted free agent) tender and he wants to join in the competition. Hopefully, Isaac Redman does the same and Baron Batch joins in as well.”

On 2013 free agency turning into a buyer’s market: “I honestly haven’t studied it that much. I don’t know if players aren’t happy with what’s available, or if teams are being more cautious. I honestly don’t know, because I haven’t spent a lot of time trying to analyze it, and we really won’t because you don’t have time until after the draft. You look back and see what the trends were. Maybe there is some significance to it. I just can’t pinpoint it yet.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Colbert-Team-has-wants-not-needs/c1558a9c-2306-4c33-9a08-70cd3fb951d8[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha