Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace's departure could prove beneficial for Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Sanders had more yards last season then the previous season. But he was not CLOSE to the production of Wallace. Answer me this, with his 626 yards and 44 catches...how many TD's did Sanders have ?................Yeah, I thought so. Once close to the goalline, both Sanders and Brown are both hindered by their lack of size. Wallace was not. And trust me, we might just end up missing the Double-Digit TD's that Wallace gave us. And whether Sanders has a 1,000 plus yard season, it still won't matter cause Pittsburgh will just let him walk outright. And we will get nothing for him except MAYBE a 4th round pick in 2016.
    In 2012 Wallace had 13 rec and 5 TDs inside opponents 20. Sanders had 4 rec and 2 TDs. If given the opportunity, I think Sanders can be a big part of the red zone offense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sanders had more yards last season then the previous season. But he was not CLOSE to the production of Wallace. Answer me this, with his 626 yards and 44 catches...how many TD's did Sanders have ?................Yeah, I thought so. Once close to the goalline, both Sanders and Brown are both hindered by their lack of size. Wallace was not. And trust me, we might just end up missing the Double-Digit TD's that Wallace gave us. And whether Sanders has a 1,000 plus yard season, it still won't matter cause Pittsburgh will just let him walk outright. And we will get nothing for him except MAYBE a 4th round pick in 2016.
    Sanders was not close to Wallace production is 2012? I don't think that's true. The reason why I posted the number of targets and yards was to give an indication of how productive the players were in relation to the number of passes that were thrown to them. Wallace was targeted 119 times and had 836 yards. That is 7.03 yards per target. Sanders had 626 yards with 74 targets. That is 8.46 yards per target. This is an indication of how much more production the Steelers got throwing to Sanders last year as opposed to Wallace. I think it is also an indication that Wallace gave up on some passes more easily than he really should have last year.

Are you suggesting the Steelers won't be able to score TDs passing to the receivers without Wallace? They'll get TDS passing and Sanders has the capability to get those. We'll see but I doubt it will be a big problem. Sanders and Brown are both better route runners and can get open and are big enough to catch TD passes.

Maybe he'll walk after the season and maybe not. I'm not worried about contracts or anything but the upcoming season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hard to judge what Sanders will do this year based on previous year's numbers, for either him or Wallace. He will be a starter now instead of just coming in with 3WR sets. More opportunity but also more defensive attention. One thing that he will hopefully have is a better run game than in recent years to help take some of the pressure off of the receiving game. Let's see how he feels about getting his nose dirty in that Hines kind of way.

Legend

User Info Menu

No he didn't cause he technically was a free agent. He was NOT under contract, so how could he blow off anything ? Blowing off would be what Hines Ward did in 2001, when under contract, he held out ause he wanted a new RESTRUTURED deal. During his 2nd & 3rd seasons, when Wallae was tearing it up for us, and making back & back pro bowls...Mike was making less then 300,000 a year, and even though I heard reports that Mike's then agent told him to hold out...Mike never did. So please sir, get your facts straight before you attempt to try and Wax Intellectual. Mike Wallace did NOT hold out last training Camp.
    No, Wallace blew off camp. He was past the date when other teams could sign him away so he was a free agent in name only and still he stayed away from camp when a new offensive system was being introduced. So it is you who needs to get your facts straight.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Sanders had his best season last year. He had 626 yards, which was 250 more than he had previously; so I am baffled why you say he didn't do much all the time. He averaged 14.2 yards which was his highest. So, I disagree, he did pretty well. Mike Wallace was targeted 119 times and had 836 yards. While Sanders was targeted 74 times and had 626 yards. So, Sanders was much more productive with his opportunities last year than Wallace. I have a lot of confidence in Sanders. If healthy, 2013 will be his best season. He will be more comfortable in his position, outside. 1,000 yards is a strong possibility, but Wheaton should get his share also.
    He had one game with 82 yards receiving (one of 2 career games in which he exceeded 80 yards). Other than that, he did not exceed 60 yards in any game. And there were a few starts in there.

That profile says to me "just a guy" more than it does "rising star."

I consider that disappointing production

Legend

User Info Menu

Clark Thinks Wheaton Is Already Better Than Wallace At Everything But Speed

Posted on 17 August 2013 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark has never been shy about speaking his mind and in a recent interview with Bob Pompeani of KDKA-TV, Clark let his thoughts be known about the loss wide receiver Mike Wallace during the offseason and the addition of third-round draft pick Markus Wheaton.

“Markus Wheaton is better than Michael Wallace at everything but one thing: speed,” Clark said. “That’s it. He does everything else better, and it’s not a knock on Mike, and it’s not saying that Markus can be more productive than Mike, because the thing that Mike did well, he did it better than anybody in the NFL, and that was run.

“I think as far as route running, he’s more polished; I think he has better hands. They both are extremely tough guys to be slightly built, but just as being a receiver, to have an opportunity to catch I think like 100 balls, or something crazy last year at Oregon State; he’s ready to step in and play. So we do lose that deep threat that Michael provided, although Markus can run, but nobody runs like Mike runs. I think Markus can step in and do that.”

Those are pretty strong words from Clark, but you can sense the conviction behind them in his voice when you listen to the interview. Wheaton, as Clark points out, caught nearly 100 passes last season as he finished the year with 91 catches for 1,244 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Wheaton exhibited a few mental errors in the preseason opener last Saturday night against the New York Giants, but also showed some flashes of just how much potential he has. With his first-game jitters now behind him, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him put on a show Monday night against the Washington Redskins.

As far as Clark’s comments about Wheaton being a better all-around receiver than Wallace, he will get a chance to tell that to his former teammate’s face when the Steelers host the Miami Dolphins at Heinz Field in Week 14. Hopefully, Clark will be wearing his running shoes in that game or else Wallace will make him pay for running his mouth.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/clark_thinks_wheaton_is_already_better_than_wallac e_at_everything_but_speed/14315270[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Clark Thinks Wheaton Is Already Better Than Wallace At Everything But Speed

Posted on 17 August 2013 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark has never been shy about speaking his mind and in a recent interview with Bob Pompeani of KDKA-TV, Clark let his thoughts be known about the loss wide receiver Mike Wallace during the offseason and the addition of third-round draft pick Markus Wheaton.

“Markus Wheaton is better than Michael Wallace at everything but one thing: speed,” Clark said. “That’s it. He does everything else better, and it’s not a knock on Mike, and it’s not saying that Markus can be more productive than Mike, because the thing that Mike did well, he did it better than anybody in the NFL, and that was run.

“I think as far as route running, he’s more polished; I think he has better hands. They both are extremely tough guys to be slightly built, but just as being a receiver, to have an opportunity to catch I think like 100 balls, or something crazy last year at Oregon State; he’s ready to step in and play. So we do lose that deep threat that Michael provided, although Markus can run, but nobody runs like Mike runs. I think Markus can step in and do that.”

Those are pretty strong words from Clark, but you can sense the conviction behind them in his voice when you listen to the interview. Wheaton, as Clark points out, caught nearly 100 passes last season as he finished the year with 91 catches for 1,244 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Wheaton exhibited a few mental errors in the preseason opener last Saturday night against the New York Giants, but also showed some flashes of just how much potential he has. With his first-game jitters now behind him, it wouldn’t be surprising to see him put on a show Monday night against the Washington Redskins.

As far as Clark’s comments about Wheaton being a better all-around receiver than Wallace, he will get a chance to tell that to his former teammate’s face when the Steelers host the Miami Dolphins at Heinz Field in Week 14. Hopefully, Clark will be wearing his running shoes in that game or else Wallace will make him pay for running his mouth.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/clark_thinks_wheaton_is_already_better_than_wallac e_at_everything_but_speed/14315270[/URL]
    From someone who should know. Wheaton will be far better than Wallace in a very short period of time.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

wally with a deep catch along the sideline last night and also an 8 yard TD catch on the same drive... hard to believe i know, cause he only knows how to run 1 route

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    wally with a deep catch along the sideline last night and also an 8 yard TD catch on the same drive... hard to believe i know, cause he only knows how to run 1 route
    Go Dolphins????

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    From someone who should know. Wheaton will be far better than Wallace in a very short period of time.
    The players are always correct, right Ovi?

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1316857.html[/URL]