Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Few PostGame Thoughts

Legend

User Info Menu

A Few PostGame Thoughts

As expected, Jones flashed a few times with his athleticism, grabbing a loose ball in the backfield, making an amazing tackle on a RB that was heading for a huge gain. But that was tempered with frequently taking wrong angles, getting swallowed up by the OL. It was interesting to note that even as a rookie he was double-teamed a number of times. Overall, not a bad showing for his first time out, though he does need to get stronger. Worilds will work himself out of a starting spot if he has another night like last night. Two personal fouls in a matter of a few minutes, costing big field position. Maybe he was just trying a little too hard to show something. A couple of other 2nd team LBs also showed some promise. McFadden, Williams, Rolle in particular showed great speed in getting to the ball.

RBs: LSH was outstanding between the tackles, especially going to the right with that wrecking crew OL in front of him. Stephens Howling has excellent vision in finding holes and he is so small defenders can lose sight of him. Based on one game, I think he sticks. Dwyer was Dwyer once again, made a few nice runs but dropped two passes, and danced on a few runs, resulting in tackles for no gain. Redman only had a couple of carries that I saw, and he seemed much more trimmed down and ran with decision.

WR: Wheaton had a couple of really nice grabs, one being very tough in traffic. He will be starting sooner rather than later for the Steelers. Brown did everything he could to show he belongs on the team and he looked good doing it. Dunn only had only a few opportunities for a return, got blasted on one, showed his amazing speed getting to the corner on another. He will get his chances.

Al Woods doesn't belong with 3rd teamers, guy just made play after play and was a man among boys.

Gradkowski looks to be a good pickup as backup QB. He has good vision in the pocket, and moves around very well for a QB his size. He seemed comfortable in the offense and completed a number of good throws. Landry on the otherhand, looks to need a lot more time with the clipboard. If he has to play for any stretch this season, the Steelers will be in trouble. Parker-Wilson did a nice job with his opportunity.

Other Stuff: Golden is looking good and seems much stronger, making a few good tackles. Secondary had their chances once again to take the ball away but couldn't do it. Is this some Steeler curse?
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 08-11-2013 at 09:27 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The players / units that impressed me were,

The Starting Ol, Gilbert being the least impressive

The Lb with the Exception of Carter and Worilds making bone hard plays

The reserve Dl

I. Green
    S Thomas
    JD and Al woods
    Wheaton and Justin Brown
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 08-11-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    The players / units that impressed me were,

The Starting Ol, Gilbert being the least impressive

The Lb with the Exception of Carter and Worilds making bone hard plays

The reserve Dl

I. Green
    S Thomas
    JD and All woods
    Wheaton and Justin Brown
    I thought the WR unit as a whole did a Good job.

The Bad: Special Teams

The Ugly: Clark and Polamalu whiffing on that second series run!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jones looked like he needs to get stronger.

Kion Lewis made some nice plays.

i would keep Parker Wilson over Jones.
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

Rolle looked good all around...

He had a sack, a tackle for loss and a pass defenses...also credited with a couple of QB pressures...

Starter

User Info Menu

Things I noticed. Typing on my Galaxy excuse the tap-type ohs.

Gilbert looked no beter than he ever has. Hes an awful tackle with no upside. I really dont even want him here as a backup. I was also disappointed in the play of Foster.

I thought Guy Whimper looked pretty good last night fo the most part.

Jarvis Jones will not be ready to start week 1. He showed wome flashes. But he also showed flashes of being a rookie by over pursuit on nearly every play. He needs work. I can see him geeting his chance later on in the season probably due to injury.

I have been known to support Haleys offense. Last night it seemed like it was illegal to throw anything but a screen pass. And none of the screens seemed to work. You have to run at least some conventional passing plays. I hope that isnt a sign of whats to come this year.

Welcome back Willie Gay. I still hate you.

Welcome to the team Stevens Howling. Bell and Howling may very well be our best two backs. If they only keep four I think Dwyers gone.

I like Wheaton. I really feel better about our WR group after watching him play. I think he is our clear number 3 and possibly 2 by next year.

Players Im really pulling for after last night
    Mcfadden
    Woods
    Arnfelt
    Moye
    Williams

Btw. Landry Jones looked like he would rather be anywhere else last night. Deer in the headlights look in a big way. Not a good trait for a qb. Looks like a horrible 4th round pick. Yes I know its early.

Rookie

User Info Menu

How many times was Jones sacked last night?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    How many times was Jones sacked last night?
    he holds onto the ball too long...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

i would keep Parker Wilson over Jones.
    Wouldn't be real surprised to see them keep Wilson as the 3rd-stringer, and stash Jones on the practice squad for this season in order to try to develop him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Wouldn't be real surprised to see them keep Wilson as the 3rd-stringer, and stash Jones on the practice squad for this season in order to try to develop him.
    you don't think another team would most likely claim Landry jones if we tried to stash him on the PS?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha