Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Legend

User Info Menu

Louis Nix III

The scouting for the 2014 draft is early but I may have recently had my mind changed on Nix. I would like to share what I have come across.

Why Nix makes sense...
    -The Steelers have a huge need at NT
    -Nix is clearly the best NT in this draft
    -The Steelers generally don't put high draft picks into their secondary
    -With the rule changes pass rush is where you put your money
    -Nix is an elite run stopper and the Steelers couldn't stop a runny nose this season.

My initial objections to Nix...

-Too big
    -Two down player
    -Conditioning issues
    -Knee issues
    -thought he got dominated by Bama, due to the poor ND showing in the National.

And this is the danger with making assessments outside of your comfort zone. Big Ten...I've watched em play...Notre Dame...not so much. So, I came across this bleacher report which really changed my mind about how I was looking at Nix.

Check it out and tell me what you think. If this assessment of his talent is correct...and Nix is there at 15...I believe he is the pick.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1686152-breaking-down-2014-nfl-draft-prospect-louis-nix-iii[/URL]
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

I know they are definitely not the "end all and be all" as far as concise Steelers coverage, but the Depot has an article detailing how well McClendon actually was against the run this year. Kinda surprised me.
    [url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/12/so-you-think-steve-mclendon-was-bad-against-the-run-in-2013/[/url]

Relevant facts from the article include: When McClendon was on the field, opponents ran up the middle 47 times for 103 yards (an average of 2.19 ypc), with only 1 rush going for more than 10 yards. Moreover, PFF had McClendon graded out as the Steelers best run defender this year with a grade of 5.7 . There's more, but the gist of it for me is that it's possible the team might not see a 1st round NT as a necessity. Unless ... they plan to move McClendon to DE and let Hood walk ... Which may depend on how well they feel Arnfelt (sp) has picked things up.
    So, who knows? LOL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    The scouting for the 2014 draft is early but I may have recently had my mind changed on Nix. I would like to share what I have come across.

Why Nix makes sense...
    -The Steelers have a huge need at NT
    -Nix is clearly the best NT in this draft
    -The Steelers generally don't put high draft picks into their secondary
    -With the rule changes pass rush is where you put your money
    -Nix is an elite run stopper and the Steelers couldn't stop a runny nose this season.

My initial objections to Nix...

-Too big
    -Two down player
    -Conditioning issues
    -Knee issues
    -thought he got dominated by Bama, due to the poor ND showing in the National.

And this is the danger with making assessments outside of your comfort zone. Big Ten...I've watched em play...Notre Dame...not so much. So, I came across this bleacher report which really changed my mind about how I was looking at Nix.

Check it out and tell me what you think. If this assessment of his talent is correct...and Nix is there at 15...I believe he is the pick.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1686152-breaking-down-2014-nfl-draft-prospect-louis-nix-iii[/URL]
    Just about anyone can write a bleacher report article. That said, I think Nix could push the pocket on 3rd down. He is a very good athlete for his size. Kind of reminds me of Marcel Dareus a bit (though not quite as quick).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Just about anyone can write a bleacher report article. That said, I think Nix could push the pocket on 3rd down. He is a very good athlete for his size. Kind of reminds me of Marcel Dareus a bit (though not quite as quick).
    I hear ya, and that is why I ask. My main concern was that Bama game and the author made a good case for Nix being the only ND player to have a good game against Bama.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    I know they are definitely not the "end all and be all" as far as concise Steelers coverage, but the Depot has an article detailing how well McClendon actually was against the run this year. Kinda surprised me.
    [URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/12/so-you-think-steve-mclendon-was-bad-against-the-run-in-2013/[/URL]

Relevant facts from the article include: When McClendon was on the field, opponents ran up the middle 47 times for 103 yards (an average of 2.19 ypc), with only 1 rush going for more than 10 yards. Moreover, PFF had McClendon graded out as the Steelers best run defender this year with a grade of 5.7 . There's more, but the gist of it for me is that it's possible the team might not see a 1st round NT as a necessity. Unless ... they plan to move McClendon to DE and let Hood walk ... Which may depend on how well they feel Arnfelt (sp) has picked things up.
    So, who knows? LOL
    The way he defines up the middle is kind of bogus. When he includes left guard to right guard, it is 112 runs for 458 yards, or over 4 YPC.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Shawn, one of the things that makes you such a good poster here (in my opinion), is your ability to adjust on the fly. You are open minded and always willing to see things differently. I agree with you on Nix. I would be totally ok if he was the pick. I think he would become the leagues best 3-4 NT. And he would make the Steelers better. Forget the two down player stuff. He would allow the Steelers to be in many favorable 3rd downs because of what he brings on those 2 downs he is on the field. His position (NT), would also allow him to be on the field a lot sooner than any other position in 3-4. And the out of shape thing shouldn't be all that of a concern either. Casey Hampton, Vince Wilfork, or B.J. Raji never were in that great of shape and it never stopped them from being great 3-4 NTs.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The way he defines up the middle is kind of bogus. When he includes left guard to right guard, it is 112 runs for 458 yards, or over 4 YPC.
    I understand exactly where you're coming from with that .. just providing another view of McClendon's "performance" this year ... Personally, I think he'd be a better fit at DE ... Keep Arnfeldt (sp) as a backup and future starter .. Which then brings us back to needing a NT ... do you go with Woods and "HOPE" he's good enough? Do you "HOPE" Nix is as good as some think he is ... do you stay status quo and draft an ILB? Heck, I don't know ... that's why Tomlin and Colbert are being paid the big $$$ ..

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    That article lost all credibility when I read that it doesn't include left guard to right guard. How can you possibly give analysis on a NT's performance when you don't even include that? lol
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's a passing league now. Classic NTs are becoming 1 Down players.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That article lost all credibility when I read that it doesn't include left guard to right guard. How can you possibly give analysis on a NT's performance when you don't even include that? lol
    Especially in a system where you want the NT to occupy two blockers. Reaching a bit too much to be a contrarian....