Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Season Hinges on this Guy

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Season Hinges on this Guy

As much as anything, including the HC, the Steelers season comes down to Roethlisberger. And this analysis from PFF is cause for concern:

He just missed a lot of throws. Our system, I think, unlocks [some things that numbers don’t]. You know, ‘here are some stats, here’s a PFF grade’, but the context behind it is important. He put up huge numbers in an okay grade because he just missed a ton of throws. He missed AB a lot. He made a lot of bad decisions. He had a lot of interception luck. But he’s still a guy that can make a ton of plays. He had one of the highest percentages of positively-graded throws as well. So he still has that in him, he still knows how to make plays, carry a team. He’s just got to cut down on some of the mistakes that he made last year, because he wasn’t making those in the previous years. But a missed throw here and there doesn’t always show up in the stats. It didn’t really last year. He’s still more than capable. He’s a top eight to 10 quarterback still in the NFL.

So while the stats looked great overall, the fact is Roethlisberger may not have been as efficient as he should have been. Hope he can make it through to his contract end because the Steelers would have a tough time pulling a HOF QB off the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well this isn't rocket science Ben is the team linchpin we all know that. The qb on any team is that and without very good play at that position no team is going to hoist the Lombardi.

For the Steelers in 2019 the positions where we'll need better play then in 18 to beat Luck ,Rivers, Mahomes and Brady are OLB opp Watt ,ilb (mack & will), FS (whoever is playing single high) Davis was better in 18 but needs to get better still in coverage and last but perhaps most important corner opp Haden has to improve. Nelson may provide that but right now it's still to be seen. Hybrid position where M Allen will replace Burnett may give us a more physical player but his lack of experience well that could be an issue.
    Our special team play could use a boost across the board. D Smith is not my favorite coach n that aspect of this team always seems to be average at best.
    Camp is just about here once the banging starts I'll try to let you know what we are seeing good or bad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Part of the dialogue is whether the missed throws were on the QB or AB adlibbing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben needs to cut down on the turnovers. The team can live with inaccurate throws at times. It's difficult to live with the turnovers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Ben needs to cut down on the turnovers. The team can live with inaccurate throws at times. It's difficult to live with the turnovers.
    Ben's 16 interceptions last season can be directly attributed to his 675 passing attempts. a more balanced offense would definitely help Ben cut down on his turnovers imo.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I believe Ben was forcing the ball to AB last year. This caused a lot of interceptions. AB and Ben were not in sync. I think AB's skills are diminishing. I know 15 TDs but AB knew he was going to take a back seat to JuJu. That was also part of his motivation to act like a fool. Ben will be great in 2019 book it. We have got to be able to pound the ball. That will help the passing game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    As much as anything, including the HC, the Steelers season comes down to Roethlisberger. And this analysis from PFF is cause for concern:

He just missed a lot of throws. Our system, I think, unlocks [some things that numbers don’t]. You know, ‘here are some stats, here’s a PFF grade’, but the context behind it is important. He put up huge numbers in an okay grade because he just missed a ton of throws. He missed AB a lot. He made a lot of bad decisions. He had a lot of interception luck. But he’s still a guy that can make a ton of plays. He had one of the highest percentages of positively-graded throws as well. So he still has that in him, he still knows how to make plays, carry a team. He’s just got to cut down on some of the mistakes that he made last year, because he wasn’t making those in the previous years. But a missed throw here and there doesn’t always show up in the stats. It didn’t really last year. He’s still more than capable. He’s a top eight to 10 quarterback still in the NFL.

So while the stats looked great overall, the fact is Roethlisberger may not have been as efficient as he should have been. Hope he can make it through to his contract end because the Steelers would have a tough time pulling a HOF QB off the field.
    I've been pretty worried about Ben declining since the beginning of last year when he was missing a bunch of deep throws to AB.

I wonder if that's why we went to such a short passing O.

I'm hoping that this was more of a bad luck + AB thing than a Ben thing.

We'll see more this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

AB’s motivation was jealousy.

Jealous of JuJu
    Jealous of Ben’s special treatment
    Jealous of other WR’s making more money.

But this doesn’t mean Ben can continue to play turnover football. Especially on the road.

Legend

User Info Menu

The season also hinges on the foot of Chris Boswell as well.

In his first 3 seasons in Pittsburgh, he averaged essentially 3 missed FG's per season and 1 missed PAT per season.

Teams can win with that production from their kicker...a combined 85-95 FG and 99-102 PAT from 2015-2017.

To go from that to 13-20 FG and 43-48 PAT in 2018 is mind-boggling.

To go from missing only 10 FG out of your first 95, then missing 7 FG out of your next 20 is a huge dropoff.

To go from missing only 3 PAT in 3 years combined to missing 5 PAT in one season is a massive shift.

These unexplainable misses are as painful as Ben's turnovers, since they literally take points off of our scoreboard and instead gives the ball to the other team.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The season also hinges on the foot of Chris Boswell as well.

In his first 3 seasons in Pittsburgh, he averaged essentially 3 missed FG's per season and 1 missed PAT per season.

Teams can win with that production from their kicker...a combined 85-95 FG and 99-102 PAT from 2015-2017.

To go from that to 13-20 FG and 43-48 PAT in 2018 is mind-boggling.

To go from missing only 10 FG out of your first 95, then missing 7 FG out of your next 20 is a huge dropoff.

To go from missing only 3 PAT in 3 years combined to missing 5 PAT in one season is a massive shift.

These unexplainable misses are as painful as Ben's turnovers, since they literally take points off of our scoreboard and instead gives the ball to the other team.
    Not nearly as sexy, but I agree about its importance