Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RuthlessBurgher's Pre-Super Bowl 2014 Full First Round Mock Draft 1.0

Legend

User Info Menu

i dont see this happening with the improved protection we saw this year and hiring Munch to work with the kids. unless robinson is a freak. but if he is, he'll be gone by 15 IMO. like that kid dallass drafted a couple years ago. he shot up the draft charts

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Interesting. I would certainly be happy with Robinson, but I would be surprised if the Steelers selected an OT. I think they will roll with what they have.

Ruthless - who is your pick of the year? I know in years past, it's been guys like Earl Thomas and DD. Anybody you have your sights set on for the Steelers this year?
    Too early in the process still to formally declare my "Man Crush" of the draft. I've been lucky enough to have the team actually draft my early targets David DeCastro and Jarvis Jones in the last 2 drafts. I did really like Earl Thomas once upon a time, but that year, Eric Berry was truly my guy. Since I knew that Berry would be way out of our draft range, I was hoping that Earl Thomas would somehow fall into our laps that year instead. Once upon a time, I was so high on Calvin Johnson that I suggested a Ditka-like trade of an entire draft to get him (albeit spread over 2 seasons...giving up our 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th in '07 and our 2nd, 4th, and 6th in '08). Since that was obviously not a reasonable trade up scenario by any means, I moved on to a couple of other guys that year, both of which failed to live up to expectations in the NFL (I was hoping for a minor trade up for Amobi Okoye or staying put and taking Adam Carriker. Can't win 'em all, I suppose). Favorites in other drafts have included the likes of Patrick Peterson and Alex Mack.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Not big on the Robinson pick with Gilbert still there.

I agree with other posters that the Steelers should roll with what they have and look for another Foster or Beachum from round 5 and beyond.

We have pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball. Really hoping Gilbert is there at 15. We are quite long in the tooth at CB and S.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i dont see this happening with the improved protection we saw this year and hiring Munch to work with the kids. unless robinson is a freak. but if he is, he'll be gone by 15 IMO. like that kid dallass drafted a couple years ago. he shot up the draft charts
    Robinson is a freak. He is probably a lot like Tyron Smith from USC, who has started every game for Dallas since he came into the league. Robinson is already a great run-blocker. You put him on the same line as another dominating run-blocker (Decastro), and Le'veon Bell is an All-Pro. You've just upgraded TWO positions immediately and significantly (LT & RB). Add to it that it creates more play-action for Ben, more opportunity down the field for the WRs, and you can see the effect.

Justin Gilbert, or Dennard or Clinton-Dix aren't can't-miss guys. (If they were, I might consider.) Robinson is can't-miss. You don't pass on can't-miss guys, when you need so much like we do.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Robinson is a freak. He is probably a lot like Tyron Smith from USC, who has started every game for Dallas since he came into the league. Robinson is already a great run-blocker. You put him on the same line as another dominating run-blocker (Decastro), and Le'veon Bell is an All-Pro. You've just upgraded TWO positions immediately and significantly (LT & RB). Add to it that it creates more play-action for Ben, more opportunity down the field for the WRs, and you can see the effect.

Justin Gilbert, or Dennard or Clinton-Dix aren't can't-miss guys. (If they were, I might consider.) Robinson is can't-miss. You don't pass on can't-miss guys, when you need so much like we do.
    if he's anything like you describe

he wont be there.

tyron smith was a top 10 IIRC

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Yup, no way Robinson is there, coming off his 2014 + BCS game. This guy is Top 10 all the way. If by miracle he does make it to us, it makes Colbert's job very easy. Take him, and plug him in at LT for 10 years. Beachum then gets dibs at RT, and wow... what a line we could potentially have.
    Some have him top 3

3. OT [URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824809/greg-robinson"]Greg Robinson[/URL], Auburn, (6-5, 320, 5.3*: Redshirt offensive linemen rarely earn more than a whisper in scouting circles, but the buzz generating around the Tigers' star left tackle is starting to become deafening. Physical and tenacious, Robinson is a grizzly bear in the running game, mauling opponents with an exciting blend of size (6-5, 320 pounds), strength and athleticism. Auburn's reliance on the running game, however, has given Robinson few opportunities in pass protection, meaning he could struggle initially in this role. Robinson isn't as polished as Matthews, which is why he ranks behind the Aggies' star for me, but the redshirt sophomore possesses an extraordinary upside that could lead to his earning a higher selection come draft day.

[url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/24424927/big-board-rise-of-linebacker-mack-reaches-no-5----or-no-1[/url]
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If there is an O-lineman at 15 it would be more like this guy...

OL [URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664509/zach-martin"]Zach Martin[/URL], Notre Dame (6-4, 308, 5.15): The vast majority of Martin's school record 52 career starts came at left tackle but his square-ish frame and 32 1/4" arms will earn him a projection inside to guard for many. Regardless of where he lines up, Martin plays with the controlled aggression I love along the offensive line, latching on and controlling opponents with excellent strength. Martin was the best player on the field in Mobile.

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    If there is an O-lineman at 15 it would be more like this guy...

OL [URL="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664509/zach-martin"]Zach Martin[/URL], Notre Dame (6-4, 308, 5.15): The vast majority of Martin's school record 52 career starts came at left tackle but his square-ish frame and 32 1/4" arms will earn him a projection inside to guard for many. Regardless of where he lines up, Martin plays with the controlled aggression I love along the offensive line, latching on and controlling opponents with excellent strength. Martin was the best player on the field in Mobile.

I've been harping all along, that the Steelers need to draft a sure thing, and a guy who will be a leader. Zach Martin fills both prerequisities. And it is why I'm not high on guys like:

• Hageman
    • Dennard
    • Gilbert
    • Clinton-Dix

Not to say they aren't both of those things, but they aren't locks to be leaders on this team, say 8 years down the line. If we picked Zach Martin, I'm confident that this guy would be a leader on our offense, in the 2021 season. With those other guys, I'm not that confident.

Rookie

User Info Menu

No way does Houston pass on johnny football manziel. and I think the Rams will trade down and get an extra 2nd rounder.

I also think Justin Gilbert might be the best pro player career wise, and the Steelers should grab him if he is there.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think Manziel will be a huge bust. If he makes it as a starter, I cant see him staying healthy.