Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: This will not be popular....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Then James Harrison was the second coming of the exception cause he went to the same school.
    James Harrison is not in the HOF and in all likelihood won't be inducted into the HOF, so he doesn't quite fit the bill of small school LB that ends up in the HOF with 9 consecutive Pro-Bowls.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe not but he did go to Kent State, he did play LB, and he did carry the mantle of Alpha Intimidator during our most recent Super Bowl run. Id say that at least puts him in the conversation with Lambert.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yeah keep telling yourself that. How funny.

31 tackles, 1 sack, and 3 PD's is more than any rookie OLB has ever had in the history of the Steelers 3-4.

This team was going no-where this year all along. Where would JJ be had they had the balls to allow him to learn on the field? But I get it, it's easier to hide behind the "this defense is too complex for a rookie to handle" philosophy.

Sometimes talent and athleticism can negate what lack of experience one may have.
    Like I said... I'm happy he got snaps but his stats arent impressive. He didnt do a thing to replace Woodley because he was actually playing decent ball before he went down.

JJ's stats prove my point.... if these are the best stats by a rookie at OLB I hope we throw the old model out because the new CBA doesnt give us the luxury of sitting guys for years before getting some reps.

Whether you want to admit it or not, this D is considered complex by those who play in it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    James Harrison is not in the HOF and in all likelihood won't be inducted into the HOF, so he doesn't quite fit the bill of small school LB that ends up in the HOF with 9 consecutive Pro-Bowls.

Pappy
    Both were defensive players of the year...multiple All Pro selections for both...

Maybe Harrison won't be inducted into the HoF, but I bet his jersey is there for the INT return...

James has earned his way...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    you cannot disregard Lambert's commitment to the game...this made him the exception imo. when a guy dives for a tackle during a tryout taking place on an asphalt parking lot, you may have an inkling he will be good. You can only hope you come across another with the same mentality big school or not.

This was my point for posting. Those that read my posts know I like stats as much as anyone.

But, for all the stats and measurables they collect on every college player, there is no good way to measure 'desire', 'heart', 'focus', 'drive'. Read his bio, his focus and drive was unmatched. His tenacity was legendary. He was penalized in one game for 'hitting the QB too hard' (that was the refs ruling). All this from an undersized player.

Sadly, I think the money today has a tendency to change this passion in many cases. Once they get it, it is very hard not to be distracted by it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Seem to recall the Steelers drafting one of the greatest LBs to ever play the game from a small school way back when in the 2nd round. The professionals had this to say about him: "too small to be a pro football linebacker". The guy went on to 9 straight Pro Bowls and the Hall of Fame.
    Exactly!! And actually the Steelers had two great LB's from that small school (Kent State). Those players seem to have a lot to prove.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Mack would not grade out higher than JJ
    Really? Considering JJ fell to the 17th pick primarily because of poor work outs (grades), and Mack is being seen as a top 5-10 pick? Ok......

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Like I said... I'm happy he got snaps but his stats arent impressive. He didnt do a thing to replace Woodley because he was actually playing decent ball before he went down.

JJ's stats prove my point.... if these are the best stats by a rookie at OLB I hope we throw the old model out because the new CBA doesnt give us the luxury of sitting guys for years before getting some reps.

Whether you want to admit it or not, this D is considered complex by those who play in it.
    See, that is what separates you and I. You look at numbers and determine ones worth. I see the fact that Jarvis Jones has done what no other rookie OLB has ever done in the teams 3-4 defense.

Too me that makes his numbers very impressive.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ....Whether you want to admit it or not, this D is considered complex by those who play in it.
    And you contradict yourself when you post this....

Worlids: "It's frustrating because you know you probably could have helped. When I was coming up, I was told that no matter what I did -- good or bad, no matter how much I improved -- I wasn't going to see the field. That's kind of discouraging. But you have to take it as an opportunity to better yourself in other ways. That's what I was able to do."

feltdizz: What scares me is Lebeau saying he won't change philosophies... with 4 year rookie contracts we have to change. We cant wait until contract years to let players show out.

[URL]http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php/42143-Rookies-must-know-their-roles-in-complex-D[/URL]

Is it complex or is it a philosophy? Jason Worlids says it did matter what he did.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Fair to say Birt. Okay, say we are are up in the early teens, Barr is gone, Mack is Gone, Nix is gone, as well as Mike Evans,.....do you take a Tackle or perhaps Shazier as he would probably be off of the board before our next selection comes around ?

I certainly am not a proponent of taking today's corners in the top half of the first round.
    I think at that point we'd have to trade back a few spots. I think we could go a few different directions in the first round. Our offense is finally starting to gel, but that doesn't mean we could get a good receiver. It'd be really hard for me to draft a NT in the top half of the first round. I wouldn't mind trading back a bunch of spots, getting the DT from Pitt and maybe picking up an extra second or third round pick though.
    This draft is going to be anyones guess. We have a number of guys that we need to replace. BUT I think we can also get creative with the current roster.
    Let Hood walk and put Mclendon at DE.
    Wood has looked pretty good. Could be a very good backup ala Hoke
    Jones could bump inside if they feel that they can't afford letting Woodley go. Foote could walk in that scenario
    Retain Velasco, he should come cheap and bump him to Guard. Let Foster and Gilbert fight out RT and Beachum and Adams fight it out for LT. Beachum and Foster could back up all 5 positions if they lose their position battle. Would be some nice depth on the line.