Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What did you enjoy most about yesterday?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What did you enjoy most about yesterday?

There were so many elements to how the game went, I found myself not sure of what I enjoyed most. But here are some of them; which was most enjoyable to you?

1.) A solid win, with barely any time grading our nerves. The last few years, even when we win, the games are stressful; either we lose our lead or come close to it. My friends and I always say, "Can't we finally have a game where we are in control the whole time so we can just enjoy ourselves?" Yesterday came as close to a "no pressure win" as we have had all year, and much of the last few seasons as well. When the Skins came back and score the TD, I thought "We are going to have to score a lot to win this one" and it turned out not to be true. As in the Cinci game, the D gradually tightened it's grip and shut them down (The drops helped, but the D was still pretty solid regardless.)

2.) (Maybe my favorite Seeing Dwyer prove he can be a force in the league. It's not just that he is getting the yards, it's also the manner in which he is. As the years have gone on with Mendenhall, I have grown increasingly annoyed at his running style. I know it's been discussed, ad nauseum, but it is just refreshing to see JD just find a hole and power his way through it and then give his last tackler a nice shot at the end of his run. That style wears down the opposing D. __AND__ (and this is an underrated factor), it psyches the O line up. They get fired up when they see JD just blasting through and into the D. It is no coincidence that in the last two games - featuring JD getting over 100 yards - our rush blocking has improved over the course of the game.

3.) Seeing our D resemble what we have gotten used to. We still have no Troy, and only about 60% of Harrison, but our D is starting to gel and heat up. There is nothing more depressing, as Steeler fans, to see a soft D, which is what they somewhat resembled until the last few weeks. I find real bliss in watching our D when it is making life miserable for the opposing QB and Os. RG3 was getting all the hype, but our D made his life pretty lousy, for the time being. They were rushing fairly well on us, but as we scored more, it was obvious their rush wouldn't be enough to beat us.

4.) Ben looking sharp, and not getting hit. Has he ever been better? And how nice is it to not have to cringe every other passing play because he is getting smashed? We are starting to resemble how other decent teams look, where their QB isn't getting nailed every other play and I like it.

5.) O line coming together. There is no question that the line is starting to play much better, in both rush and pass blocking, and it's a joy, to be honest. And then what will they look like with DeCastro back? Having Pouncey back is a real pleasure as well.

What else?

Legend

User Info Menu

Seeing Timmons chase RGIII and knowing RGIII was thinking "I can't shake this big monster, I need to get rid of this damn ball"

Seriously, my favorite was the OL taking it to the Redskins (imagine if DeCastro didn't get hurt) and Dwyer running Like Franco. Yes, in my mind I think he runs more like Franco than Bettis. I guess that just dates me that I remember every game Franco played.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 10-29-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Many things to be somewhat happy about. For me.....I loved the O-line play. Not trying to sell (convince) those who disagree, but I have always thought the Oline (yes...even Colon) had/have potential. They looked good, regardless of the oponent.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

I thought Mundy and Allen played well in Clarks abscence.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Seeing Timmons chase RGIII and knowing RGIII was thinking "I can't shake this big monster, I need to get rid of this damn ball"

Seriously, my favorite was the OL taking it to the Redskins (imagine if DeCastro didn't get hurt) and Dwyer running Like Franco. Yes, in my mind I think he runs more like Franco than Bettis. I guess that just dates me that I remember every game Franco played.
    Yea, I recall seeing Timmons racing after RG3, and although he was unlikely to catch him, he was fast enough that he stayed right on him and RG had to get rid of the ball. That was impressive. Timmons has been pretty good all year long. Dude has some jets for his size, that's for sure.

As far as JD looking like Franco....some what. He kind of reminds me of Alonzo Highsmith, who used to play for the Oilers. (Not as dated as Franco, but pretty damn obscure reference.) I always thought AH was underrated. He didn't have a very long career, but he was a force running the ball and blocking, for as long as he did last.

I forgot he had a brief boxing career and even fought the boxing fraud, Mark Gastineau. Wow.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=movtSx1mPYk[/url]

Highsmith was built like a beast. Looking back at his build, I guess JD doesn't remind me so much of him after all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    I thought Mundy and Allen played well in Clarks abscence.
    Not to mention, in Troy's absence as well. I thought when Clark went out we might be in trouble, but those guys played well. Maybe they just needed some reps. IDK.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by virgilbosetti View Post
    Many things to be somewhat happy about. For me.....I loved the O-line play. Not trying to sell (convince) those who disagree, but I have always thought the Oline (yes...even Colon) had/have potential. They looked good, regardless of the oponent.
    I think they are all growing as a unit; I think Adams is coming along, and having Pouncey back really takes the unit up a few notches. And yes, I have to admit that Colon is coming around and his aggression adds to making the unit have a nastier tude, and that is much needed. That, along with JD's punishing rushes, has added to make this unit much better on the nasty tude front.

Legend

User Info Menu

The best part about yesterday is knowing the game was over before the last play. Its been a while since we've had a convincing win against a half decent opponent.

Legend

User Info Menu

1. Dwyer was my favorite. Seeing him from the endzone was a treat. He really goes down low to deliver a blow when he's about to get tackled. He's a violent runner.

2. How bout our trio of TD receivers - Pope, Miller, Johnson. BA wishes he could have gotten that creative in the RZ.

3. I'll be anxiously awaiting the fine of DeAngelo Hall. Anyone know what really happened there? He seemed to get mixed up with Sanders from what I could see and then went after the official for some reason. Then one of his teammates came in and pushed the official and they threw him out of the game. I thought #26 was going to get thrown out for running into the official.

4. RG3 does a great job handing off and creating confusion. It was hard to follow the ball a number of time. He's got an identical motion when he keeps it or when he hands it off. RG3 was pretty accurate and had a lot of balls hit guys in the hands. And when he went out for a pass and got called for PI, he was flying. I was shocked Ike didn't get called for PI. I didn't watch the broadcast yet, but it was right in front of us and you could tell Ike had no idea where the ball was and just ran into RG3. That call helped us out.

5. I couldn't see the hold on the PR by Brown. It looked like Brown was past everyone before the hold could have occurred. Again, I need to see the replay.

Backup

User Info Menu

RGIII pushed Ike out of the way......good call. Just glad Clark didn't get called for a hit on a defenseless Rec.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]