Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Steelers re-sign David Johnson

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I posted this info previously. If you look at profootballfocus stats. since DJ didn't play in 2012. Look in 2011 for him. Profootballfocus, this nonbiased entity, who solely relies on unemotional breaking down of tapes, rated David Johnson their 15th best TE (out of 65), basically on the strength of his run blocking. He was given a rating of a 9. Will Johnson, again according to profootballfocus in 2012, was given a rating as a run blocker of -.4.

So, it's not just me trusting my own judgement, which in this instance I think is on target. David Johnson is far more energetic and effective blocker thatn Will Johnson. Plus the running game overall was poor in 2012, and I think Will Johnson's unimpactful blocking was a part of that, as well as some key losses to the offensive line, such Colon and Adams.

So all the hate on DJ is tiresome and childish. It is just morons imitating others morons, trying to be cool.

David is hardworking strong blocker, good teammate. Can catch you a pass, Good depth guy. People don't expend this much effort bashing other depth players.
    Well I guess I'll gladly accept the mantra of "moron" because I think David Johnson is substandard. Here are some stats you fail to mention:

In 4 seasons David Johnson has 18 catches (4.5 per year) for 146 yards (8.1 average) and 1 TD

In just one season, Will Johnson has 15 catches for 137 yards (9.1 average) and 1 TD

No matter how you want to put it, Will Johnson is far better than David Johnson and the latter will mcontrinute little to nothing. Get a rookie TE in the draft and we will be better.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I posted this info previously. If you look at profootballfocus stats. since DJ didn't play in 2012. Look in 2011 for him. Profootballfocus, this nonbiased entity, who solely relies on unemotional breaking down of tapes, rated David Johnson their 15th best TE (out of 65), basically on the strength of his run blocking. He was given a rating of a 9. Will Johnson, again according to profootballfocus in 2012, was given a rating as a run blocker of -.4.

So, it's not just me trusting my own judgement, which in this instance I think is on target. David Johnson is far more energetic and effective blocker thatn Will Johnson. Plus the running game overall was poor in 2012, and I think Will Johnson's unimpactful blocking was a part of that, as well as some key losses to the offensive line, such Colon and Adams.

So all the hate on DJ is tiresome and childish. It is just morons imitating others morons, trying to be cool.

David is hardworking strong blocker, good teammate. Can catch you a pass, Good depth guy. People don't expend this much effort bashing other depth players.
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The big exception is that he can catch a pass. Even DJ seems to be surprised when the ball is thrown his way and he hangs on to it. I do think he is a good blocker from the TE position but not so much as a FB.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Chadman said "Given that Miller is out for a while, having an inexpensive TE that knows the system isn't the worst signing of all time. The Steelers are not shopping at Prada, they are looking for K-Mart specials."

That may be true. But, if you look hard enough you can find better deals at those GoodWill Industry stores.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well I guess I'll gladly accept the mantra of "moron" because I think David Johnson is substandard. Here are some stats you fail to mention:

In 4 seasons David Johnson has 18 catches (4.5 per year) for 146 yards (8.1 average) and 1 TD

In just one season, Will Johnson has 15 catches for 137 yards (9.1 average) and 1 TD

No matter how you want to put it, Will Johnson is far better than David Johnson and the latter will mcontrinute little to nothing. Get a rookie TE in the draft and we will be better.
    I have no idea more people don't see this obvious truth re: DJ. He is nothing special, or even average. The FO re-signing him really makes me question their wisdom.

Legend

User Info Menu

What did they sign him for? Vet Minimum? Is there a signing bonus?

They could just as easily cut him after Training Camp if he doesn't prove a useful addition, but if he turns out to be an adequate 2nd/3rd TE & back-up FB, it's a great deal.

Not sure why so many people are worried about this.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I have no idea more people don't see this obvious truth re: DJ. He is nothing special, or even average. The FO re-signing him really makes me question their wisdom.
    He was signed to a 1 year deal. I don't think he is a lock to make the team. The FO isn't proclaiming him to be the second coming. If we have trouble finding some good TEs and Heath isn't healthy DJ might have to fill in ... that is all.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    He was signed to a 1 year deal. I don't think he is a lock to make the team. The FO isn't proclaiming him to be the second coming. If we have trouble finding some good TEs and Heath isn't healthy DJ might have to fill in ... that is all.
    OK, I can go with that for now, but let's not forget, they have always over-valued this dude. I never got it. Kept waiting to see what they saw, and never saw it. I am sure he is a great dude, but....IDK, I just don't see much skill.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    What did they sign him for? Vet Minimum? Is there a signing bonus?

They could just as easily cut him after Training Camp if he doesn't prove a useful addition, but if he turns out to be an adequate 2nd/3rd TE & back-up FB, it's a great deal.

Not sure why so many people are worried about this.
    "Not so sure why so many people etc."

I don't think it is exactly this. But it might just be a bit deeper. In another recent thread about releasing Willie Colon it turned into a battle about Cowher vs Tomlin era personnel, draft concepts and overall general team moves.

It seems that many fans think that from 92 until recently the team was in a continuous progressive mode. In every phase of the game. Lately it seems that is missing. No need to go into overload detail. It is just that simple.

But in all fairness the two situations were totally different. Cowher had very little when he started. What had to be done was obvious.

Tomlin did have the sum results of quite a few years of this steady progressive advancement in place. And to his credit let it roll.

But some fans now worry that this continuous flow of progress is missing and regression is setting in. That is probably not true but the perception is still there.

Now that might be a lot of 2cents but that is what I think is the real reason so much is being made of this relatively minor move.

Backup

User Info Menu

Oh BS. Cowher inherited a helluva lot more talent than people want to admit.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Oh BS. Cowher inherited a helluva lot more talent than people want to admit.
    He replaced the entire front 7 except for the great Gregg Lloyd in 3 years. It had to be done.
    Someone ?? recognized the problems and immediately addressed them. Between strengthening the team with a combination of solid draft picks and productive FA's the idea of change and progress got rolling and continued to this day. But it seems to have hit a snag. Maybe it will straighten out.

This team now needs a RB WR ILB NT OLB TE soon it will need a couple Safetys and a CB. Go gettum!

Fans always disagree on what was there when Cowher took over. I think the team was weak. Only the secondary and a couple Offensive players were solid. But that is not the point. The point is the team steadily progressed. Someone knew WTF they were doing.