Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kiper's Mock 3.0: Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Kiper's Mock 3.0: Steelers

Kiper's Mock 3.0: Steelers

PITTSBURGH -- Cornerback may be the Pittsburgh Steelers' biggest need in this year’s draft, and ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Steelers landing the top one on his board.

Kiper has the Steelers taking Oklahoma State’s Justin Gilbert with the 15th overall pick, changing his selection from Notre Dame defensive tackle Louis Nix III.

Kiper had the Steelers picking Nix in his first two mock drafts.

Kiper has Gilbert rated the 14th best player in the draft and the top one at what is considered a deep position this year.

The 6-foot, 202-pound Gilbert has good size and excellent speed. He ran the 40-yard dash in a blazing 4.38 seconds at the NFL scouting combine last month.

Gilbert’s showing in Indianapolis bolstered his stock following a season in which he intercepted seven passes, recorded 42 tackles and was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given annually to the top defensive back in college football.

Here is what Kiper wrote about Gilbert, who could also be a return man in the NFL:

"His athlete credentials are strong. On the field, he combines short-area quickness to adjust to routes and open-field speed to run with (or past) any receiver. He has enough size and strength to redirect routes at the line and can then flip his hips and run with anybody; he rarely allows much separation. Good ball skills and hands are evident both in coverage and the return game. Given the need at the position, it's not out of the question that he lands in the top 10."

The Steelers have not used a first-round pick on a cornerback since 1997 when they selected Chad Scott 24th overall but they need to draft at least two players at the position this year.

Ike Taylor agreed to a restructured deal earlier this week but he is not expected to play for the Steelers beyond 2014. William Gay and Cortez Allen are the only other experienced cornerbacks on the roster, and the former turned 29 in January.

Gilbert or Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard would make a lot of sense for the Steelers with their first pick in the draft.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...k-3-0-steelers[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Seeing how they just lost 2 defensive linemen in the last 24 hours; I'm guessing the mock drafts might be changing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Seeing how they just lost 2 defensive linemen in the last 24 hours; I'm guessing the mock drafts might be changing.
    and seeing how other teams picked up free agents so that throws a wrench in all mock drafts. With the DEPTH at CB in this draft we might see a DL emerge in talks.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    and seeing how other teams picked up free agents so that throws a wrench in all mock drafts. With the DEPTH at CB in this draft we might see a DL emerge in talks.
    I suspect the team will cover themselves with all positions of need in FA before the draft, even if only with *token* pick ups. A couple of DL, a WR, a TE and maybe a cheap CB to ensure they can take BPA in the draft. It's rare that they enter the draft without a guy they feel could start in a pinch at any given position.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That is not how the Steelers draft. They take highest rated player on their board regardless of need.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I suspect the team will cover themselves with all positions of need in FA before the draft, even if only with *token* pick ups. A couple of DL, a WR, a TE and maybe a cheap CB to ensure they can take BPA in the draft. It's rare that they enter the draft without a guy they feel could start in a pinch at any given position.
    Yep!.............

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    That is not how the Steelers draft. They take highest rated player on their board regardless of need.
    I'm fully aware of the company line. But if you think current team talent isn't a part of the equation then that's just foolish and naive. If 2 guys are neck and neck on the board then I guarantee they are looking at greatest need as well. They go hand in hand.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think I agree with Kiper. I have come to the conclusion that Dennard is going to the Lions and Gilbert falls to the Steelers. Unless Evans is there, Gilbert is the guy.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm fully aware of the company line. But if you think current team talent isn't a part of the equation then that's just foolish and naive. If 2 guys are neck and neck on the board then I guarantee they are looking at greatest need as well. They go hand in hand.
    Uh Yeah.....but that's not what you were saying above. To insinuate that because the Steelers lost 2 mediocre D-lineman to free agency would result in them not drafting a CB or the best player on the board is just lame. And goes against what this franchise does come draft day.

Thanks for playing though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think I agree with Kiper. I have come to the conclusion that Dennard is going to the Lions and Gilbert falls to the Steelers. Unless Evans is there, Gilbert is the guy.
    I think it will come down to 3. Gilbert, Evans, and Mosley. And of the 3, Mosley comes from Saban's 3-4 so he could be the one who gives the quickest return.