Thread: #1 Stop the Run

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

#1 Stop the Run

Ive been kind of silently watching the proceedings here lately, trying to gauge why we had such a precipitous decline in our D this year. Although lack of a pass rush is evident, that has been on a steady downward slope for a while...and im not saying we don't need to turn that around too. But what particularly pains me is our sudden inability to stop the run. Despite the trend toward a passing league and Goodells powderpuff mentality, stopping the run goes toward the heart of intimidation and making the other team one dimensional. Get a little swagger back and suddenly its a lot easier to pin our ears back and go after the QB on obvious passing downs. I think the loss of Foote in the very first game hurt us more than most people here realize. Couple that with a 'quick' NT in the center of our defensive line and we just plain got run up on last year. It was painful to watch. Hopefully we get Foote back again this year so Williams and Spence can develop a little more...and hopefully we spend our first pick on a legit NT. That is my $0.2 worth...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Id rather get Kerr in 3 than Nix in 1....I am a big fan of Nix but Kerr can be a similar type player and has better value in 3. Its tough to see a NT as the top pick with so many teams running with zones stretches that really just negates having a real NT. A DE or Pass rushing OLB would be a more important piece than a NT....Hagemann, Tuitt, Mack, Barr...ect...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Id rather get Kerr in 3 than Nix in 1....I am a big fan of Nix but Kerr can be a similar type player and has better value in 3. Its tough to see a NT as the top pick with so many teams running with zones stretches that really just negates having a real NT. A DE or Pass rushing OLB would be a more important piece than a NT....Hagemann, Tuitt, Mack, Barr...ect...

I totally agree with your position. I would take any of the players you list over Nix at #15. There are a number of NTs in this draft who can get the job done without using #15 to get them.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree that stopping the run is our #1 priority. We need to get better at tackling. I say we need to load up in the front 7 with some playmakers. I'm intrigued by Mosley and think he's the guy that could give the D the most overall versatility. Totally agree Foote going down was our biggest issue that we never recovered from.

Legend

User Info Menu

Using a later round pick on a NT gets you a one-dimensional player that other teams can take advantage of (you bring out the plodding plugger for early down, but then the offense goes no huddle, prohibiting you from being able to substitute on defense, tiring out the big fella while they go hurry up).

The reason that Nix is worthy of being taking in the middle of round 1 is that he is not one-dimensional. He can occupy multiple blockers, sure, but not only is he stout against the run, but he can also push the pocket preventing the QB from being able to step up and avoid the outside rush. He is also has surprisingly nimble and quick feet for his size, so he is able to run up and down the line to make plays (more than just short yardage dive play stops).

I agree with many of the folks here who do not want to use our first pick on a situational two-down player, but I also disagree with many of the folks on here who think that Nix is simply that type of situational two-down player.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Using a later round pick on a NT gets you a one-dimensional player that other teams can take advantage of (you bring out the plodding plugger for early down, but then the offense goes no huddle, prohibiting you from being able to substitute on defense, tiring out the big fella while they go hurry up).

The reason that Nix is worthy of being taking in the middle of round 1 is that he is not one-dimensional. He can occupy multiple blockers, sure, but not only is he stout against the run, but he can also push the pocket preventing the QB from being able to step up and avoid the outside rush. He is also has surprisingly nimble and quick feet for his size, so he is able to run up and down the line to make plays (more than just short yardage dive play stops).

I agree with many of the folks here who do not want to use our first pick on a situational two-down player, but I also disagree with many of the folks on here who think that Nix is simply that type of situational two-down player.
    Im not saying draft the fattest guy in the 6th round and hope he can be a cog. Do you know anything about Kerr? Look at him a bit, carries his weight tremendously well and is a impact player on the field, not just a big fat slob

Im a big fan of Nix, at 15 I kind of hate it

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Im not saying draft the fattest guy in the 6th round and hope he can be a cog. Do you know anything about Kerr? Look at him a bit, carries his weight tremendously well and is a impact player on the field, not just a big fat slob

Im a big fan of Nix, at 15 I kind of hate it
    Ditto, if we were talking at #25 to 30 then Nix maybe factors in. At #15 I would take Stephon Tuitt before Nix. Tuitt would be the Best Player Available between those two and he would be a beast at DE.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Run defense definitely needs addressed, but I do not want to bring Foote back. I would rather roll with the younger guys and get on with it. We all want the defense to get younger but when its time to part ways with the older vets (Foote, Keisel, Clark, Taylor) I hear some hesitations. Cut the cord. If no additional ILBs are acquired this offseason I am perfectly fine with Vince Williams starting. Lets get the next guys on the field.

I'm fine with LeBeau as DC. For those of you who want him to start the younger players, you should hope the FO makes the decision for him and releases some of the older vets who are declining in their level of play.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska