Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Offered Wallace $7 million Per Season...

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Offered Wallace $7 million Per Season...

... according to Peter King.

[URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130219/peter-king-nfl-franchise-tag/[/URL]

I thought that Stevie Johnson was a decent comp for Wallace due to the fact that he was not a UFA, and he got a bit more than that.

Legend

User Info Menu

And for more on Wallace, here is a report that he will be Miami's top target:

[URL]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-omar-kelly-dolphins-0220-20130219,0,5495647.story[/URL]

I hope that Wallace gets a huge deal. The more he is paid, the better chance the Steelers have of getting a third round comp pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I hope that Wallace gets a huge deal. The more he is paid, the better chance the Steelers have of getting a third round comp pick.
    I fully agree. And the same goes for Keenan Lewis...if we aren't going to come to an agreement with him I hope someone pays him a lot. Mendenhall as well.

If we could somehow pry those two second round picks, plus a 3rd or 4th from Miami, for our pick at 17 I would jump for joy.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yep blame Wallace when the Steelers low balled him, but Fat boy get A60 million dollar deal. What happened to the alleged 10 million per.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Wallace can make up to $5 Mil more per year AND work in a tax friendly state like FL he would be crazy to even talk to the Steelers anymore. Sure, the 'phins will probably not sniff a playoff game in the next 5 years, but you never know...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Yep blame Wallace when the Steelers low balled him, but Fat boy get A60 million dollar deal. What happened to the alleged 10 million per.
    Or perhaps despite the "man love" from some fans the organization realized that Wallace has a very perishable skillset given one injury eliminates pretty much the only thing he does excel in and that is run fast.

Perhaps because they are in close contact with him day in and day out they sensed that maybe he was a prima dona who if he didn't get his way would "lose focus" or put and give less than full effort.

Or perhaps they made it very clear that they would not negotiate if he held out and got the sense despite everyone in the world knowing how they do business he would do exactly the opposite of what they asked him to do.

Or perhaps they were simply using standard negotiating tactics of establishing a base from which to negotiate from however when Wallace did exactly what they told him not to do and not show up negotiations could not continue.

After what they saw in 2012 I think they were pretty much right on the money.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The article interviewed a GM and asked if he would pay Wallace like Vincent Jackson (55mil for 5 years, 26 guaranteed) and his response was not even close. Now we can debate what he means by not even close, but a 35mil for 5 years, 15 guaranteed I think would fall into the not even close category. Inferring from that the Steelers probably offered Wallace a good contract that he eschewed for greater riches (he wanted Jackson money and this guy is saying no way). It only takes one loose cannon to overpay for a guy, so Wallace will probably come out of it with 9-10 mil per year contract, because someone will be willing to take a chance.

What will be interesting is if Wallace doesn't get anything better than 7mil per year for 5 years, what he will do?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The article interviewed a GM and asked if he would pay Wallace like Vincent Jackson (55mil for 5 years, 26 guaranteed) and his response was not even close. Now we can debate what he means by not even close, but a 35mil for 5 years, 15 guaranteed I think would fall into the not even close category. Inferring from that the Steelers probably offered Wallace a good contract that he eschewed for greater riches (he wanted Jackson money and this guy is saying no way). It only takes one loose cannon to overpay for a guy, so Wallace will probably come out of it with 9-10 mil per year contract, because someone will be willing to take a chance.

What will be interesting is if Wallace doesn't get anything better than 7mil per year for 5 years, what he will do?

Pappy
    Don't think his ego would let him make less than Brown. I think that the internal rivalry is part of Wallace's problem and always have.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How do we know Kings information is accurate?.... about 7 mill a year

They gave Antonio Brown a 5yr. deal woth 42.5 million, if you divide that by 5 thats 8.5 mill a year. I would think they offered Wallace something similar to that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    How do we know Kings information is accurate?.... about 7 mill a year

They gave Antonio Brown a 5yr. deal woth 42.5 million, if you divide that by 5 thats 8.5 mill a year. I would think they offered Wallace something similar to that.
    We don't have any way of knowing what was offered. I'm only taking what I read in the article and extrapolating the information and making some inferences from that information. I tend to agree with you that they probably offered him at least Antonio Brown money. On the other hand, maybe they saw something in Antonio that indicated that he's a better all around receiver and he was worth more, again, we don't know, but its fun to try and figure it all out.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount