Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what, all of a sudden William Gay is Rod Woodson?

Legend

User Info Menu

I've always said Gay reminds me of Deshea. Not great. And he'll get beat if matched up on big WRs. But he plays headsy. Has a knack for making a smart play now and again. And is always in position. He's like the Larry Foote of DBs. And no one would hate him so much if he didn't get trucked by AP one time. I really think everyone has held that over his head to this day while judging his play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek View Post
    He was my main concern on defense going into the season. Glad it's been working out.
    My main concern was Ziggy and McClendon. At least we've addressed Ziggy with Heyward. And McClendon hasn't been getting snaps. I don't think that's any coincidence. Heck at the beginning of the season, I was more concerned about the DLine than the OLine. Both seem to be evolving in the right direction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    My main concern was Ziggy and McClendon. At least we've addressed Ziggy with Heyward. And McClendon hasn't been getting snaps. I don't think that's any coincidence. Heck at the beginning of the season, I was more concerned about the DLine than the OLine. Both seem to be evolving in the right direction.
    yea, they have been playing with only 2 D Lineman. I like the results of DL's new scheme.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You mean St LeBeau is adjusting his defense to get the best players on the field?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    You mean St LeBeau is adjusting his defense to get the best players on the field?
    People from Pittsburgh just like to complain. While I was in town, I heard so many people criticizing DL. And the funny thing is these are the same people that wanted to replace Hampton with McClendon, get rid of Foote, and were irritated we brought back Gay. We've all seen how the D has struggled with McClendon, and the loss of Foote, and then how well Gay has been playing. Plus we've had to deal with injuries to Woodley/Troy/James in the last year. Now the departure of Hampton/James/Lewis this year. And subpar draft picks in guys like Hood/Worildis that didn't pan out like they should. Add it all up, and why wouldn't we expect the need to transition on D?

Now we've got new packages that we're using almost as our base D. We've got rookies and first year players in the mix. And things look like they're turning really quick. And everyone in Pittsburgh is questioning DL. I really don't get the logic.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The trend of sub packages being used almost as much as the base D isn't just in Pittsburgh...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People from Pittsburgh just like to complain. While I was in town, I heard so many people criticizing DL. And the funny thing is these are the same people that wanted to replace Hampton with McClendon, get rid of Foote, and were irritated we brought back Gay. We've all seen how the D has struggled with McClendon, and the loss of Foote, and then how well Gay has been playing. Plus we've had to deal with injuries to Woodley/Troy/James in the last year. Now the departure of Hampton/James/Lewis this year. And subpar draft picks in guys like Hood/Worildis that didn't pan out like they should. Add it all up, and why wouldn't we expect the need to transition on D?

Now we've got new packages that we're using almost as our base D. We've got rookies and first year players in the mix. And things look like they're turning really quick. And everyone in Pittsburgh is questioning DL. I really don't get the logic.
    It reminds me of the same people who predicted/hoped year after year for the dismissal of James Harrison. Yeah, eventually they are going to guess correctly one year but that doesn't make them prescient. It seems almost anti-Steeler to me to continually rail against our legends, especially when they are still producing at a high level and bring superior leadership to the team.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

That sub package is of course ran according to what the opposing teams offense is running, but most teams run now what will bring about that scheme.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People from Pittsburgh just like to complain.
    This. It's bad when they complain about the teams performance following WINNING the SB. Stunning.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've always said Gay reminds me of Deshea. Not great. And he'll get beat if matched up on big WRs. But he plays headsy. Has a knack for making a smart play now and again. And is always in position. He's like the Larry Foote of DBs. And no one would hate him so much if he didn't get trucked by AP one time. I really think everyone has held that over his head to this day while judging his play.
    I was recently thinking about that comparison. Especially because he either seems to be finding his game, or finally getting respect, later in his career. Deshea could not beat out the much maligned tandem of Scott/Washington. He was not signed as an RFA one year IIRC, and you heard the usual "see, nobody wants him, thats why we ended up with him" from Steeler fans. He then got more respect as his career went on. To the point where it was tragic when he finally hung them up. Typical situation...no good while playing in Pittsburgh, but irreplaceable when he leaves.