Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert vs Dennard

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    FWIW, Mayock has now moved Gilbert to #3, behind Fuller...

Wouldn't be totally shocked if he was the Steelers pick.
    Mayock is usually pretty good with DBs, but id be very curious to see what he has seen on gilbert the last month to bump him down a spot

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    You've piqued my curiosity...I'd rather see him play before making a decision. But what the hay, I'll play along... spend a third-round pick on the dude.

Good call, some would say you got yourself the bargain of the draft.

That description was written about Richard Sherman.

Legend

User Info Menu

Time for Steelers to make CB draft priority

APRIL 1, 2014
    By Scott Brown

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have not taken a cornerback in the first round of the NFL draft since 1997, often finding players in the middle to late rounds that they developed into serviceable to quality starters.

That changes this year for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the Steelers need more help to counter passing attacks that increasingly force teams out of their base defense and demand five or six defensive backs on the field at the same time.

The Steelers addressed safety with their most significant free-agent signing, bringing in Mike Mitchell to replace Ryan Clark at free safety. They also have high hopes for 2013 fourth-round pick Shamarko Thomas on the back end of their defense.

The Steelers showed interest in a handful of cornerbacks prior to the start of the free-agent signing period. But the only move they have made at that position is agreeing to a pay cut with Ike Taylor that will bring the 11th-year veteran back for one more season.

Taylor, who turns 34 in May, will help develop the cornerbacks the Steelers select in the draft -- yes, plural. One of those is likely to be Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert or Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard in the first round.

Whether or not the Steelers have their choice between the two players widely considered the top cornerbacks in the draft remains to be seen.

Fourteen teams pick ahead of the Steelers and the Lions at No. 10 are among those who could go with a cornerback in the first round. One thing working in favor of the Steelers is enough teams ahead of them have such an acute need at quarterback that three of four of them could be picked early, pushing higher-rated players down in the draft.

On paper it doesn't seem like the Steelers could go wrong with either Gilbert or Dennard.

[URL]http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcnorth&id=78484&src=desktop&wj b[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Time for Steelers to make CB draft priority

APRIL 1, 2014
    By Scott Brown

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have not taken a cornerback in the first round of the NFL draft since 1997, often finding players in the middle to late rounds that they developed into serviceable to quality starters.

That changes this year for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the Steelers need more help to counter passing attacks that increasingly force teams out of their base defense and demand five or six defensive backs on the field at the same time.

The Steelers addressed safety with their most significant free-agent signing, bringing in Mike Mitchell to replace Ryan Clark at free safety. They also have high hopes for 2013 fourth-round pick Shamarko Thomas on the back end of their defense.

The Steelers showed interest in a handful of cornerbacks prior to the start of the free-agent signing period. But the only move they have made at that position is agreeing to a pay cut with Ike Taylor that will bring the 11th-year veteran back for one more season.

Taylor, who turns 34 in May, will help develop the cornerbacks the Steelers select in the draft -- yes, plural. One of those is likely to be Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert or Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard in the first round.

Whether or not the Steelers have their choice between the two players widely considered the top cornerbacks in the draft remains to be seen.

Fourteen teams pick ahead of the Steelers and the Lions at No. 10 are among those who could go with a cornerback in the first round. One thing working in favor of the Steelers is enough teams ahead of them have such an acute need at quarterback that three of four of them could be picked early, pushing higher-rated players down in the draft.

On paper it doesn't seem like the Steelers could go wrong with either Gilbert or Dennard.

[URL]http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=afcnorth&id=78484&src=desktop&wj b[/URL]

Maybe it's just me, but I think they can't go wrong with Fuller as the pick either. What he might lack in skills, he has outstanding smarts according to some reports. Knowing where to be, when is almost better than pure athletic skill.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I think they can't go wrong with Fuller as the pick either. What he might lack in skills, he has outstanding smarts according to some reports. Knowing where to be, when is almost better than pure athletic skill.
    That is what is said about William Gay...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    and Gay was solid for us last year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Gilbert is not a special teams prospect lol

Its not his speed alone that gives him immense potential, its ball skills and ability to sink his hips and pivot while playing zone. He could have asante samuel like zone skills in reacting to the ball. Not that Gilbert would be the pick machine in our defense that he was at school but its funny for how frustrated fans get at ike for not getting all the pickzzzz but they want the exact same type of player in Dennard, a CB that can run on the WRs hip and is aware enough to get his head around to "play the ball, not the receiver" and rarely make the interception

Im starting to think neither will be there though

People say this every time Dennard is discussed - the dude had 3, 3, and 4 INTs the last 3 years. It is simply not true that he doesn't make picks. He actually had some very good INTs and showed good hands making them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hes not a ball hawking corner though, which isnt a quality i think a corner needs to have. His worst quality is the tendency to be grabby. He can have zero interceptions for all i care if its because no one is willing to throw towards him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    funny, when he was drafted, a lot of the write-ups called it a bad pick. I called him "Deshea 2.0... smart player, who youwill want in the rotation, he could start in a pinch, but, would be best suited as a REALLY GOOOD nickel back." One of the advantages of a kid playing for your local team... you see him a lot...

Anyway, on topic... I'm REALLY leaning toward Dennard - and starting to think he might be there
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Legend

User Info Menu

Since starting this thread, I began watching a lot of film on CB's in the Draft. To tell the truth, I dont think either is the best CB. If given the choice, I'd pick Kyle Fuller. He seems to me like he has the most upside and is more physically gifted then the other 2.

I must be wrong though, because all the experts are sticking with the other 2. Thoughts?
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S