Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Harrison Gone

Legend

User Info Menu

I saw in another thread that Carter and Sylvester were not tendered offer?
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    I saw in another thread that Carter and Sylvester were not tendered offer?
    no, only Kapinos and Sylvester were not tendered offers:

Steelers put low tender on Steve McLendon

MAR 9
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Steelers put tenders on their restricted free agents Saturday, and there are two interesting developments.

The first one is Pittsburgh placing a low tender on Steve McLendon, who is expected to replace Casey Hampton as the team's starting nose tackle. There were thoughts that the Steelers would protect him more by putting a second-round tender on him.

But, in choosing the low tender ($1.3 million) over the second-round one ($2 million), the Steelers could lose McLendon without compensation because he was undrafted. Of course, the Steelers would have the right to match any offer, although it could be difficult to do considering their cap problems. This is certainly a gamble.

The Steelers' other notable decision was placing tenders on both running backs, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman. There was speculation that the Steelers might only put the tender on Redman because of limited cap room. But Pittsburgh put low tenders on Dwyer and Redman, both of whom will get $1.3 million. Although unlikely, the Steelers would get a sixth-round pick as compensation if they lose Dwyer to another team and no compensation for Redman because he was undrafted.

Accounting for all of these RFA tenders in the cap, the Steelers were $1.4 million over. But, when factoring in the release of linebacker James Harrison, the Steelers are now $3.4 million under the cap.

Here's a recap of the Steelers' restricted free agents:

RB Jonathan Dwyer: Original round (sixth round)

P Jeremy Kapinos: No tender

NT Steve McLendon: Right of first refusal (no compensation)

RB Isaac Redman: Right of first refusal (no compensation)

LB Stevenson Sylvester: No tender

WR Emmanuel Sanders: Original round (third round)

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73583/steelers-put-low-tender-on-steve-mclendon[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh my

hood, mclendon and keisel
    Woodley, foote, timmons and worilds
    Allen, polamalu, Clark and Victrian

Wallace- gone
    Mendy- gone
    Harrison- gone
    Hampton- gone
    Taylor- probably gone
    Lewis- can't afford

It's going to be a long few years until things get back on track

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Oh my

hood, mclendon and keisel
    Woodley, foote, timmons and worilds
    Allen, polamalu, Clark and Victrian

Wallace- gone
    Mendy- gone
    Harrison- gone
    Hampton- gone
    Taylor- probably gone
    Lewis- can't afford

It's going to be a long few years until things get back on track

Pappy
    And by that time.. Ben is on the downside of his career.

This is what worries me. It's one thing to replace a couple players. It's a whole different story when your trying to replace this list at a minium.

Wallace - I think he is to 1-dimensional but he's still at #1 on some teams and a #2 on the others.
    Mendy - I'm not a fan but he's still our best back
    Harrison - Our best OLB. He was the James of old towards the end of the season and he is one of the very few players on this defense that can create turnovers
    Hampton - A staple of this defense for many years. He's replaceable at this point but by who?
    Taylor - I would keep lewis over Ike because of age mostly. Why keep a player that has 1 year left over another that is entering his prime? Ike is a very good coverage guy but he is NOT worth ANYWHERE close to 9 mil.
    Lewis - This is the Steelers own fault. They signed some poor contracts and they hung onto old players to long which is now costing us the ability to sign our young players. Historically, the team was good about knowing when to release old players in order to sign the up & comers. Not so much anymore.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Trade Ben to Arizona for a first and second this year and first and second next year so we can fully rebuild instead of being average for the next 5 to ten years.....I'm only 1/2 kidding.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Trade Ben to Arizona for a first and second this year and first and second next year so we can fully rebuild instead of being average for the next 5 to ten years.....I'm only 1/2 kidding.
    And return to the Cliff Stoudt days of terrible Steelers Quarterbacks. You build a team around a franchise QB, not around Charlie Batch.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not all doom & gloom. There are some promising players on the roster.This current situation was always going to come about at some point once they started restructuring contracts on older players. Once bitten...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBucks View Post
    And return to the Cliff Stoudt days of terrible Steelers Quarterbacks. You build a team around a franchise QB, not around Charlie Batch.
    Or grab a Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick after the first round....
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Or grab a Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick after the first round....
    Or end up grabbing a Tee Martin after the first round. As you can see, the years of having great Steelers teams with lousy quarterbacks has wore on me.
    Last edited by SteelBucks; 03-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    And by that time.. Ben is on the downside of his career.

This is what worries me. It's one thing to replace a couple players. It's a whole different story when your trying to replace this list at a minium.

Wallace - I think he is to 1-dimensional but he's still at #1 on some teams and a #2 on the others.
    Mendy - I'm not a fan but he's still our best back
    Harrison - Our best OLB. He was the James of old towards the end of the season and he is one of the very few players on this defense that can create turnovers
    Hampton - A staple of this defense for many years. He's replaceable at this point but by who?
    Taylor - I would keep lewis over Ike because of age mostly. Why keep a player that has 1 year left over another that is entering his prime? Ike is a very good coverage guy but he is NOT worth ANYWHERE close to 9 mil.
    Lewis - This is the Steelers own fault. They signed some poor contracts and they hung onto old players to long which is now costing us the ability to sign our young players. Historically, the team was good about knowing when to release old players in order to sign the up & comers. Not so much anymore.
    Tendered the following:

RB Jonathan Dwyer: Original round (sixth round)
    P Jeremy Kapinos: No tender
    NT Steve McLendon: Right of first refusal (no compensation)
    RB Isaac Redman: Right of first refusal (no compensation)
    LB Stevenson Sylvester: No tender
    WR Emmanuel Sanders: Original round (third round)

What will the Steelers do if both Dwyer and Redman get better offers that the Steelers can't match? Will they even have a running back on the team? They could be forced into an RB at 1.17. Jumping the gun and signing AB before they had to just to spite Wallace may come back to bite them.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount