Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions for anyone watching combine....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Questions for anyone watching combine....

1. Why would we watch it? I mean, I got it on in the background and glance at it once is a while, but what is to be gained from watching this thing? Other than the 40 times for RBs, CB, WRs, S, LB, what is to be gleaned from watching this?

2. Why do they bother making O linemen run the 40? What does it prove, to any extent? Not a thing in my mind. Chance Warmack is obviously the best OG in the whole thing and his 40 time sucked, but proves NOTHING. He will still be the first OG taken, so what is the sense in bothering to run it? Maybe have them run a 10 yarder, or some kind of shuttle run. But the 40 is meaningless for those guys.

3. Watching this does make me feel I hope Pgh drops down and picks up some extra picks. We are at a point where we have to begin to really replace a lot of starters in the next 2 years or we will be a bad team. Not only do we have to find replacements for Hampton, Fumble-hall, Wall@SS this year, we also have to look at replacing Troy, Harrison, Foote, Miller, Clark, Ike in the near future. That is a boat load of starters to replace. We need to really hit on this draft, big time. We can't afford bone head picks. Do you hear me, Colbert and Rooney?

Legend

User Info Menu

I left it on in the background while working this morning because it is somewhat football related and better background than most of what I could find.

For the offensive line, you do seem to get a bit of a sense for how some of the guys move. A few years ago, I remember Ryan Kalil's agility really standing out. There are a ton of things that I'm sure real scouts see that I don't, but it is kind of neat to watch.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That one 6-6, 300+ OT ran a 4.65? That is insane.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I usually don't watch it, but the last time I watched the O-line run the 40 The only thing I remember is one of the Linemen I think Andre Smith needed a bra while running.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I usually don't watch it, but the last time I watched the O-line run the 40 The only thing I remember is one of the Linemen I think Andre Smith needed a bra while running.
    Yea, that was nasty. He did turn out OK, though, didn't he? I think last I saw he was starting for Cinci.

Legend

User Info Menu

My wife asked the same question...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    That one 6-6, 300+ OT ran a 4.65? That is insane.
    Was that Lane Johnson?
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Was that Lane Johnson?
    I think so, it was either a 4.65 or 4.75, either way, that is LB speed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Was that Lane Johnson?
    Terrance Armstead

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Johnson was up in that range too.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion