Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Robinson: Manti Te’o, Steelers could be perfect couple

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Mauti has been a tackling machine, instinctive,smart, a high character guy and strong leader. His knee injuries are a concern. Gerald Hodges would be a consideration, too.
    +1

To be frank one can never go wrong with Penn State LBers....
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    But that is what you usually do here felt. Quick to judge and cast as wrong without even really knowing what the whole story is. You talked about how the media hyped this kid up to the point of over-hyping him as a player and yet you yourself sucked up all the media had about this fake girlfriend story to the point of pre-judging him yourself. Nice.
    ^^^says the guy who removed Te'o from his tag after the story broke.

ohh... and remember this the day the story broke:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub
    Yeah I'm right there with you felt. That is a major red flag. Everyone knows how I've been all over Te'o but this makes me take huge step back. This is very bizarre.
    You loved him like a son and pushed for him in multiple threads....once the story broke you ran in telling everyone how you were at a loss for words.

I gave my opinion just like YOU did. I said I didn't like this kid BEFORE the story broke... the crazy hoax just added to an already shady feeling I have about this kid's early projection.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The Alabama game is a concern... the story has died down a bit but it will gain traction once the combine hits. I would be a little concerned with the blowback if we drafted him and he struggled. It would be a circus of epic proportions if he doesnt pan out.

I definitely thought he was in on it but after seeing Ronaih give his interview.... nah. The only thing I think Te'o is guilty of is embellishing how great their love was once the story kept getting rehashed. I dont think the risk is worth the reward and he is going to have the Tebow type media where everything but his game on the field is the focal point.
    This is my biggest concern with Te'o as well.

Tebow, without the distractions, could probably be a decent backup qb. He can make plays with his legs, doesn't turn the ball over, etc. But the distraction is not worth it.

Before this issue and the Alabama game, I was starting to get on board the Te'o bandwagon. Now, I'd rather see him elsewhere. I just hope it is not with the Ravens -- I just have a feeling that if he ended up there he would be a thorn in the Steelers' side for a decade.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This is my biggest concern with Te'o as well.

Tebow, without the distractions, could probably be a decent backup qb. He can make plays with his legs, doesn't turn the ball over, etc. But the distraction is not worth it.

Before this issue and the Alabama game, I was starting to get on board the Te'o bandwagon. Now, I'd rather see him elsewhere. I just hope it is not with the Ravens -- I just have a feeling that if he ended up there he would be a thorn in the Steelers' side for a decade.
    Not me...

...and Tebow is a good football player but a HORRIBLE QB... he put together a win for the ages vs us but I don't think teams want what he has to offer long term. Are you getting playoff Denver Tebow or playoff NE Tebow?

I think most teams have figured out (except Lebeau) that blitzing Tebow is an easy win.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'll pass on Te'o, we can get an ILB after round one that could help us. We have more pressing issues than ILB at this point like OLB, SAFETY, RB, AND Receiver. I have A.J Klein in my mock in the later rounds to get other needs attended to earlier, but this kid Klein is no slouch, he tackles everything that moves.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

^^^says the guy who removed Te'o from his tag after the story broke.

ohh... and remember this the day the story broke:

You loved him like a son and pushed for him in multiple threads....once the story broke you ran in telling everyone how you were at a loss for words.

I gave my opinion just like YOU did. I said I didn't like this kid BEFORE the story broke... the crazy hoax just added to an already shady feeling I have about this kid's early projection.
    It is still a red flag. And there is nothing I can do or say that changes that. That has nothing to do with me. It is a fact. And taking a step back doesn't mean that one is jumping off the bandwagon. Sometimes one needs to take a step back in order to let things unfold. It is the opposite of pre-judging. Letting things take it's course more times than not is a lot better when making immediate decisions on someone.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    It is still a red flag. And there is nothing I can do or say that changes that. That has nothing to do with me. It is a fact. And taking a step back doesn't mean that one is jumping off the bandwagon. Sometimes one needs to take a step back in order to let things unfold. It is the opposite of pre-judging. Letting things take it's course more times than not is a lot better when making immediate decisions on someone.
    I didn't want him before the hoax and I don't want him after the hoax.

I don't need things to unfold to come to the conclusion this story was CRAZY. I went from thinking Te'o was an over hyped saint, to a gay dude, to a naive dude, to a weird dude... but it's still falls under crazy and insane story anyway you shake it.

You were the one who praised his high character based on???? Hell, what was it based on?

..and I still think he is a liar. It's not a crime but it's a concern. He spent way too much time on the phone WITH A DUDE for me to have to wait for the truth the play out.

I don't want him.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-18-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't want him before the hoax and I don't want him after the hoax.

I don't need things to unfold to come to the conclusion this story was CRAZY. I went from thinking Te'o was an over hyped saint, to a gay dude, to a naive dude, to a weird dude... but it's still falls under crazy and insane story anyway you shake it.

You were the one who praised his high character based on???? Hell, what was it based on?

..and I still think he is a liar. It's not a crime but it's a concern. He spent way too much time on the phone WITH A DUDE for me to have to wait for the truth the play out.

I don't want him.
    I'd still take him at 17 (not my first choice but would still would not have a problem with him there), and I do think he has an above average character despite this incident. And that based on his leadership he has shown on the field and the fact that he has been a model person up to this incident. An an incident that is really not all that big of a deal in my opinion.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Manti Te'o focused on work

Updated: February 18, 2013
    By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Those who have watched Manti Te'o prepare for the scouting combine say the former Notre Dame linebacker has shown no signs of being distracted by national media attention that came from his online relationship with a girlfriend that turned out to be a hoax.

"He missed precisely one day," said former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke, the director of football operations at IMG Academy where Te'o has been preparing for the combine. The combine starts Wednesday in Indianapolis.

"He's gone about his business and been the same guy all along," Weinke said. "I really admire that because a lot of guys his age would not be able to handle this as well as he has. I haven't seen any signs of it being a distraction and I expect him to go up to Indianapolis and have a great combine."

Te'o took part in Monday's workouts, but declined an interview request. Te'o recently divulged that he was the victim of a hoax in which he developed an online relationship with a woman who did not exist.

"Manti has been the same Manti I went to college with," former Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert, who also has been working out at IMG, said. "He left to do the Katie Couric interview for one day and I think he was back that same night. He's been out on the field working just like he's always worked. I've tried to be there for him, but I don't know that he's needed all that much help because he's such a strong person to begin with."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8959851/manti-teo-working-hard-nfl-combine-approaches-official-says[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No brainer, really. I'd take him at 17 too. Super on-the-field leader.. We don't take him, Baltimore will.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion