Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: if this wr is available in FA next year, how much should we pay him?

Legend

User Info Menu

Many of us do not like Wallace's punk moves this summer and some of the apathy he showed the other night but lets not characterize him as a bad WR. He is a very good WR who excels at one thing and does others average to beter than average. That is worth what the Steelers offered him in the NFL today.

I think the bottomline is Wallace knows exactly what he has been doing since day 1. He doesn't want to be here no matter what PR he puts out. He will do his best not to let his teammates down but he isn't going to kill himself going above and beyond either. He sees the handwriting on the wall and it says "Goodbye Mike."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO he is worth $8-9M just like we offered him. Not more and not less.
    our front office is very smart, that's the sum they offered him previously and that's most likely the same amount we will try to re-sign him for again at the end of the season.

if Wallace can find another team that is willing to pay him more, then God Bless him.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

On the other hand...

How much do you pay a guy who still has TRIPLE the number of TD catches in this awful, miserable year for him (6 so far) than every other WR on this team combined this season (2 total so far; Antonio Brown has 1 and Emmanuel Sanders has 1 and that's it)?

How much do you pay a guy whose WORST season in terms of catching TD's (only 6 TD catches during his rookie season) is still TRIPLE the number of TD catches that each of the other "Young Money" wideouts had in their BEST seasons (Sanders had 2 TD catches in 2010 and 2011, Brown had 2 TD catches in 2011 and 1 TD catch in 2010)?

How much do you pay a guy who has SIX TIMES as many career TD catches as Sanders (30 vs. 5) and TEN TIMES as many career TD catches as Brown (30 vs. 3)?

Until anyone other than Heath Miller starts catching TD's for this team more than once every 2 freaking months, I cannot imagine how poor our scoring offense will be if Wallace gets kicked to the curb as many on this board seemingly can't wait to see happen.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    On the other hand...

How much do you pay a guy who still has TRIPLE the number of TD catches in this awful, miserable year for him (6 so far) than every other WR on this team combined this season (2 total so far; Antonio Brown has 1 and Emmanuel Sanders has 1 and that's it)?

How much do you pay a guy whose WORST season in terms of catching TD's (only 6 TD catches during his rookie season) is still TRIPLE the number of TD catches that each of the other "Young Money" wideouts had in their BEST seasons (Sanders had 2 TD catches in 2010 and 2011, Brown had 2 TD catches in 2011 and 1 TD catch in 2010)?

How much do you pay a guy who has SIX TIMES as many career TD catches as Sanders (30 vs. 5) and TEN TIMES as many career TD catches as Brown (30 vs. 3)?

Until anyone other than Heath Miller starts catching TD's for this team more than once every 2 freaking months, I cannot imagine how poor our scoring offense will be if Wallace gets kicked to the curb as many on this board seemingly can't wait to see happen.
    $8-9M if you can. The NFL isn't the US Government and teams can't engage in deficit spending. Like I said, if you look at our cap situation there may have been just one $8M contract for a WR and Wallace walked away from it and Brown grabbed it. Doesn't matter what Wallace has done, can do, whatever, if the money isn't there it isn't there.

You keep characterizing anyone who isn't falling over themselves to pay Wallace whatever he wants as "kicking him to the curb" but in reality Wallace has been the only one who has put himself on the path to leaving. He could be locked up right now for the next 5-6 years, but HE chose not to. That isn't fans doing or saying anything that is Wallace making the decisions. I want Wallace to stay but at the price that fits into the teams cap. I jsut don't see that happening if Wallace wants more than he was already offered. That isn't kicking anyone to the curb that is just how it is.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-21-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I say franchise him and negotiate briefly. If he won't sign long term for a reasonable amount (and I know he likely won't), trade him for a 2nd rounder. If we can't get that (and I'd think we would), trade him for a package of middle round picks (like a 3rd, 4th, and a 5th).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I say franchise him and negotiate briefly. If he won't sign long term for a reasonable amount (and I know he likely won't), trade him for a 2nd rounder. If we can't get that (and I'd think we would), trade him for a package of middle round picks (like a 3rd, 4th, and a 5th).
    If he won't come around to the team's position that is what I would do too, but we would still have the cap issues to resolve.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If he won't come around to the team's position that is what I would do too, but we would still have the cap issues to resolve.

I don't think there is any way he could fit within the cap if they Franchise Tag him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    On the other hand...

Now we have Plax. And we can always draft someone or try to bring in a cheaper FA.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I don't think there is any way he could fit within the cap if they Franchise Tag him.

I would tend to agree with that which is why I said there may have only been one $8M contract for a WR. We are going to have to cut a lot of veteran players to clear space to sign Wallace for even $9M per year. That would likely mean saying goodbye to Harrison, Foote, Kiesel and maybe even Troy given some of that savings in cap space will have to be used to tender our RFAs and other player we want like Lewis, Pouncey, etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Do you think we are getting a new Off Coord next year and implementing a new "Wallace friendly" system? The Wallace we see in the system this year would be the Wallace in the system next year. That is why he is worth the fair offer he was offered this past summer and not more. Haley isn't all of the sudden going to start chucking 40-50 yard passes because of Wallace. We fired the guy who did that.
    playing devils advocate...

I wonder if letting Arians go was a mistake. Ben has taken less hits but he is still hurt (the worst on field injury of his career IMO) and our big plays aren't so big anymore.

Don't get me wrong... the offense is more efficient but we aren't scoring more or crushing teams this year like most expected. Injuries play a part but we were often injured with Arians as well.