Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ed: Steelers Blew it on Both Sanders, Harrison

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    agree with ed.

not a good offseason for the FO, IMO.
    Yeah, I agree with Bouchette as well.

If the Steelers wanted to keep Sanders, tender him at a second round level. You give him the third round tender if you are willing to let him walk. Now, rather than saving cap space, they lost $500k in cap space. This is not hindsight; it is a lack of foresight.

Legend

User Info Menu

They signed Antonio Brown last August to a six-year, $43 million contact with an $8.5 million signing bonus after Mike Wallace turned them down. Must they offer Sanders that much in order for him not to enter free agency in 2014? Probably. Brown was two years from becoming a UFA when he signed, Sanders is only one year away. Plus, he saw how it worked out for Wallace and he could be just as willing to roll the dice.
    Really? He thinks that Sanders will be worth what Brown signed for, and what Wallace was offered, because he is one year closer to FA than they both were last year? Really?

Wallace has 48 starts, over 4,000 receiving yards and 32 TDs
    Brown has 13 starts, over 2,000 yards, and 7 TDs, but was coming off of a 1,000 yard season when he was signed.
    Sanders has 8 starts, 1,290 yards, and 5 TDs

I think that you can sign him to a 3-4 year deal worth somewhere around $5M per year, and a first year cap hit below his currently scheduled cap hit.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why not look at it like the Steelers are renting Sanders for a season? They will almost assuredly take a WR at some point in the draft and could end up with a pick that makes us all forget Sanders next season given how deep the WR talent is this year. So Sanders has a breakout season?... buh bye. Got the rook ready to make the next step next season for a whole lot less money than Sanders would command.
    The idea that Sanders has a breakout season and leaves the Steelers high and dry isnt predetermined. The Steelers could set themselves up this season for that eventuality.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

sanders isn't worth close to 5 million per season, IMO. That's a crazy number for a guy with his production to this point.

but the deal they gave brown fractured the pay structure.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many catches did Cotchery have last year? They paid him $1.5m for those. Sanders is worth more than that at least.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

If I was Sandy, I'd wait for FA next year. Cause whatever they're willing to give him now is related to his health. I'd roll the dice. Sandy playing it this way says he believes in himself. I kinda like that approach.

But here's also where his agent F's him a bit. To insure against injury, there's an amount he should just take to set himself up for the future and if he's a real money whore and outplays the contract, he can hold out in the future.

But there's always give to get. And if you get taken care of now, you give a little in return. But these contracts aren't guaranteed so the player's always set up to look like a douche no matter what he does. About the only thing a player and team can do is just not talk about the contract in the media at all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Why not look at it like the Steelers are renting Sanders for a season? They will almost assuredly take a WR at some point in the draft and could end up with a pick that makes us all forget Sanders next season given how deep the WR talent is this year. So Sanders has a breakout season?... buh bye. Got the rook ready to make the next step next season for a whole lot less money than Sanders would command.
    I agree. It's not ideal but that scenario isn't doomsday either - particularly if Sanders actually plays for a new contract unlike Wallace, who was happy to let his previously showcased speed do the talking, playing to not-get-hurt in 2012.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    The idea that Sanders has a breakout season and leaves the Steelers high and dry isnt predetermined. The Steelers could set themselves up this season for that eventuality.
    Given that it is a deep WR class, wouldn't it be better to have a third round pick this year instead of a late round comp pick in 2015?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Given that it is a deep WR class, wouldn't it be better to have a third round pick this year instead of a late round comp pick in 2015?
    Only if you are not trying to win this year...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    No, it may be better to have the services of both Sanders and a rookie this season, and given the WR depth may get the equivalent of Sanders a round later than he was picked. That was the point of my post.
    I honestly don't believe Sanders will have the luxury of taking the season cautious because he doesnt have the stats to command the big payday without a blockbuster season.
    Last edited by NorthCoast; 04-16-2013 at 12:29 PM.