Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spaeth to IR, Garvin Added to Roster

Legend

User Info Menu

Spaeth to IR, Garvin Added to Roster

I still don't like using the IR/designated-to-return on Spaeth, a backup TE who is not even close to being a difference maker. Oh well.

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchette[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/EdBouchette/status/374990008815349760"]1m[/URL][URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/search?q=%23Steelers&src=hash"]#Steelers[/URL] put TE Matt Spaeth on IR/designated-to-return and sign LB Terence Gavin of WVU to roster. WR Kashif Moore on practice squad

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm with you Philly. Now if a guy like Timmons goes down with an 8 week injury you have to go 1 person short or put him on the IR and lose him for the year. Who cares whether Spaeth can come back? It's not like he knows the offense since he wasn't here last year when Haley came. I really don't understand it.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Spaeth is the best TE option we have not named Heath Miller. I can understand the team wanting him back for the second half of the season and a playoff run. He is better than many give him credit for being and much better than either Paulson or D. Johnson.

Got to say I'm really surprised they used that roster spot on Garvin. Never saw that coming. Would've preferred a veteran OL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Spaeth is the best TE option we have not named Heath Miller. I can understand the team wanting him back for the second half of the season and a playoff run. He is better than many give him credit for being and much better than either Paulson or D. Johnson.

Got to say I'm really surprised they used that roster spot on Garvin. Never saw that coming. Would've preferred a veteran OL.
    While that may be true I would still want to hold on to that option for a starter ... not a backup like Spaeth. Miller will be back way before Spaeth and we were okay last year with Miller and Paulson. Especially with Will Johnson as the FB.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I'm not bettin' money positive but I think that is a one time designation for a player on the roster before the first game only and may not be an option available during the season ?

I don't understand the Garvin deal either, unless it's because he is a special teams ace. We have 8 LBers on the active roster, what's he gunna do? In fact it may be worse later when we need to send him back to the PS and some team with LBer injuries scoops him up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    While that may be true I would still want to hold on to that option for a starter ... not a backup like Spaeth. Miller will be back way before Spaeth and we were okay last year with Miller and Paulson. Especially with Will Johnson as the FB.
    +1

you could easily make the argument that they could have carried spaeth for a week or two and had the luxury of seeing if a prominent starter came down with such an injury. That option is gone now as I understand it.

given our recent injury history, is garvin worth that?

not in my mind.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fans tend to think more black and white as to who is the starter and who is a backup but in reality, Spaeth could see the field quite a bit in 2 TE sets and other formations. Considering hes a big guy and a good blocker, his presence can only help the run game, particularly in short yardage/goal line situations. I think they made this move to preserve his viability, then brought in the LB soley because of the open roster spot. BTW, why not Baxter?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Garvin, a 222 lb linebacker on the roster. Wow, another good personnel decision.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I still don't like using the IR/designated-to-return on Spaeth, a backup TE who is not even close to being a difference maker. Oh well.
    Here's a link to Kashif Moore. Smaller, speed guy.

[url]http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71027&draftyear=2012&genpos=WR[/url]

I thought JD Woods would have been in the mix.

Sorry that didn't copy Bouchettes' quote

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm with you Philly. Now if a guy like Timmons goes down with an 8 week injury you have to go 1 person short or put him on the IR and lose him for the year. Who cares whether Spaeth can come back? It's not like he knows the offense since he wasn't here last year when Haley came. I really don't understand it.
    I don't understand much about the decisions over the past few months.

Ta'amu gets into his mess, the Steelers help him, keep him on the team and he plays good in the pre-season, then they cut him
    Dwyer comes into camp overweight the previous 2 years, he gets to camp in good shape, runs the ball well in pre-season, then they cut him
    Guy Whimper is rated the worst tackle in the league last year, the Steelers sign him and then treat him like he's irreplaceble
    Butler and Moorman battle for punting duties all camp, Butler wins, Mesko gets brought in after cuts, he's not tremendously better than Butler, Butler is released
    Jarvis Jones is arounnd the ball all pre-season and making splash plays, you can barely tell worilds is on the field and he gets the start
    Jones comes in without knowing the offense and blitz package pickups, runs hard, picks a few blitzes and looks good catching the ball, I can barely recall Redmon being on the field in the pre-season and he gets the start
    Shamarko Thomas is lighting up receivers, making plays, Gay is getting burned multiple times for TDs, I'd give Thomas a chance at nickel.
    Hawthorne looked like a great athlete, he's injured I get it, but why not try and stash him on the PS?

Just sketchy to me, it almost seems that the Steelers are meandering with no real direction.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount