Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Everyone whining about Starks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    where is he being overly praised? People are merely saying he has performed reasonably well, and for the last 2 years, well above the size checks he was cashing.

get off your soapbox.
    Again, listen to what your saying. I don't believe he has performed reasonably well compared to the rest of the NFL. He has played reasonably well only in comparison to the crap thrown out there with him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    This team needs character in the lockerroom and Max is one of the nicest guys on the team. Why not have him as a backup or starter if other guys arent ready?
    Maybe the guy doesn't want to be a back-up. It takes two to tango.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Maybe the guy doesn't want to be a back-up. It takes two to tango.
    I suspect that's the truth. The Steelers want to move on with Gilby at LT and they likely want Max as a backup and he's not interested. The thing is, he'd be the perfect backup to help the young guys a la Charlie Batch on the sideline.

I think we felt losing Hines and Potsy the past offseason. This year, we're gonna miss Max, Casey, and Charlie just as much and I'm not sure anyone realizes it yet.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Starks probably has no interest in signing a deal as a backup.

He can probably see the writing on the wall, but the only way I could have seen interest from his side was if the Steelers declared it a competition at LT.
    you say "probably" as if you know...

I say starks PROBABLY would rather be employed than unemployed...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    you say "probably" as if you know...

I say starks PROBABLY would rather be employed than unemployed...

maybe he just doesn't want to go through training camp. although i think he got in better shape working out on his own in AZ.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Why are we obsessed with a very mediocre Tackle? Lets just state it plainly. HE CAN'T MOVE IN SPACE.

The OC and the new OL coach must have athletic lineman that can move in space. Is it really a surprise then that Starks is not being re-signed?

The biggest weakness to his game is run blocking because it requires him to move in space. He literally can't do this.

He can pass protect in a decent manner because of the planet theory. The guy is freaking huge. He's got really long arms. Guys can't bull rush him and so they try to outrun him. It works sometimes.

I'm not saying Gilbert and Adams are great Tackles. But they fit the athletic mold the OC and OL coach like. Lets give em a chance.

But no one ever questions why he is unsigned although healthy and has a lot of starting experience. Other teams don't value him either.
    I don't care how he does it, I want my LT to protect my QB. I don't care if Adams or Gilbert beats him out, but I like having Starks on the roster because he can protect the QB. He'd be a valuable backup at worst. Guy Whimper is a terrible pickup. In the only season he started every game, he was a league leader in sacks given up. Starks is very smart and plays hard. He has only had a few poor games in the last few years. Signing Starks for about 1 to 1.5 million would be a very good investment. Whimper may pan out, but given his history, I doubt it.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I don't care how he does it, I want my LT to protect my QB. I don't care if Adams or Gilbert beats him out, but I like having Starks on the roster because he can protect the QB. He'd be a valuable backup at worst. Guy Whimper is a terrible pickup. In the only season he started every game, he was a league leader in sacks given up. Starks is very smart and plays hard. He has only had a few poor games in the last few years. Signing Starks for about 1 to 1.5 million would be a very good investment. Whimper may pan out, but given his history, I doubt it.
    Pretty sure Guy Whimper received no guaranteed money. I'm also pretty sure he's just a body to be used for OTAs and Training Camp. He will be cut before the season starts if someone else shows they are more capable.

This doesn't preclude another signing after June 1st. And no, I don't think its Max Starks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

(besides, I'm pretty sure Rob started this cuz he thought the "planet" line was cool - said it in back to back posts - lol)

Rob, just messing with ya bro!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Max > Gilbert

Max$ < Gilbert$ ???