Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sunshine Mock

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    When we draft for need in the 1st round and not the BPA we'll become the Browns.
    What do you mean? Are you trying to say Troy Edwards wasn't an excellent first round pick?

Thing is, if we had just one major need, you'd have a point, but with help needed at OG, OT, NT, RB, WR, S, CB, LB - we have so many places of need that we can get both a need player and BPA.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sunny and high 70s must mean it is time for yet another mock draft

Round 1: Zach Ertz, TE, 6’6” 252lbs, Stanford
    Round 2: Barrett Jones, OL, 6’5” 302lbs, Alabama
    Round 3: DJ Swearinger, S, 5’11” 210 lbs. South Carolina
    Round 4: Jonathan Bostic, ILB, 6’ 1” 245lbs, Florida
    Round 5: Ray Graham, RB 5’9” 192lbs, Pitt
    Round 6: Aaron Mellete, WR, 6’3” 216lbs, Elon
    Round 7: Collin Klein, QB, 6’ 5” 218lbs, K State

Good Draft Ovi...

I like the TE pick...I think it will help Ben stay upright...I prefer a pass-catching TE over O-line in Rd 1.

I like DJ Swearinger but i think he goes for head hunting a bit too much(maybe only in highlights). But i like his aggressive play. Steleers D need that swagger.

I was watching video of Tenn WRs (Justin Hunter and Cordelle Patterson) but i believe Da'Rick Rodgers is crazy talent. He plays nasty for a WR. He will instantly bring toughness to Steelers WR corp. I would take him over Barrett Jones in Rd 2. WR corp of AB84-Sanders-Cotchery is not going to get respect in NFL.

I don't know much about Rd 6 - 7 players but love Bostic and Graham from Pitt.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    If they take a TE in the 1st round, I am going to quit following them. The guy is supposed to be late first round material. Why would they take him at 17? We desperately need OLB, NT, CB, S, RB, WR help before we should go looking for a TE.
    You mention need at WR. These days the right TE can be the same or even better than drafting a WR.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    You mention need at WR. These days the right TE can be the same or even better than drafting a WR.
    Exactly. A big athletic TE is more of a match up challenge than a WR for many teams.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Exactly. A big athletic TE is more of a match up challenge than a WR for many teams.
    Yep, LB's have issues matching up in pass coverage on TE's, Gronk is a good example of that. I would take it a step further in saying a TE might be more conducive to the type of offense Haley wants to run.

Legend

User Info Menu

If we could get someone like Gronk, and Heath came back healthy, this offense could be a powerhouse.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    If we could get someone like Gronk, and Heath came back healthy, this offense could be a powerhouse.
    I think Eifert and Ertz are probably more somewhere in the middle of a combination of Gronk and Hernandez. I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday gamedays.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Eifert and Ertz are probably more somewhere in the middle of a combination of Gronk and Hernandez. I'll take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday gamedays.
    I always like baseball doubleheaders as a kid. Wonder if the NFL would ever do it? That'd be the most fantastic Sunday ever.

Legend

User Info Menu

Both of the TEs mentioned would be impact players in Year 1. Isn't that what we want from a Round 1 pick?
    Getting an impact player in year 1 seems to be your primary criteria for your first round pick, but not mine.

Just look at the last two Troys that we drafted in the first round.

Troy #1 was an impact player in year 1 (61 catches for 714 yards and 5 TD's), while Troy #2 was not an impact player in year 1 (no starts, 30 tackles). Over the long haul, as we all know, one is viewed as a bust, while the other is viewed as a Hall of Famer.

My primary criteria for a 1st round pick is excellence over the long haul, regardless of whether or not the player makes an immediate impact. The biggest leap in a player's career should take place between his first and second season...whatever we get out of a guy during his rookie campaign is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, this is not a knock on the Ertz pick whatsoever (in fact, he was in my first trade-down mock draft)...I like the idea of getting him in a trade down in the first or a trade up in the second, since I see Ertz and Eifert as borderline 1st/2nd round guys. I can't envision a scenario where a TE is the best player available at 17 if we stay there.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    However, a TE is good for production in the passing game AND production in the passing game if you get the right one.
    Whoa...production in the passing game AND production in the passing game...that should give us a heck of a passing game! (yeah, I know you meant passing game AND running game, but I just couldn't let that one slide).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.