Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Worst CUT in Steelers History?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Brenston Buckner won a Super Bowl with Carolina ? I thought Carolina lost that game or did they play the Patriots and get cheated out of their win ?
    Sorry, should have said played in a Super Bowl with Carolina and lost. He was also a starter on our SB loss to the Cowboys.

By the way, the C you're thinking of was Hank Fraley. He started quite a few games for the Eagles and Browns.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    How about worst FA signing?

Off the top of my head Center Sean Mahan. We got him from Tampa Bay, if i remember correctly he struggled in every game, so the Steelers traded him back to Tampa Bay the very next season He stunk.
    I forgot about Mahan. He was weak. But some other stinker FA signings: Duce Staley. We got a total of one decent game out of him the entire time he was here. I KNEW he was washed up, for years Philly had nothing but him so they run the legs off of him; he was hurt the last few years in Philly, so why did Pgh pick him up? I thought it was a bad move from the get go. And, who was that drunk CB they got from Chicago? He never did crap. And, who can forget David Woodley or Todd Blackledge? Or Kent Graham.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bat1816 View Post
    Sorry, should have said played in a Super Bowl with Carolina and lost. He was also a starter on our SB loss to the Cowboys.

By the way, the C you're thinking of was Hank Fraley. He started quite a few games for the Eagles and Browns.

Thanks and welcome to the board.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow, bad pick ups ! More than I would like to remember. Nothing kills a team more than having guys on the team that suck then bringing guys on the team that are supposed to help you but, suck too.

We got some guy named Nolan Harris or Harrison or something like that from the Raiders and I don't know if I ever saw him play a snap.

Staley was a big waste of a roster spot.

Then there was the quarterbacks that were brought in by the bus load. Woodley, Blackledge, Grahm, Tomceszak, Maddox.

Mayhan had to be the worse of the bunch along with the tackle that came in from Buffalo, Jonathan Scott I think his name is.

We had some corners in Cowhers era too that stunk the place up but, I can't remember thir names.

If I'm not too far off, I think we had some receivers that didn't pan out to well back in the Cowher era also.

Starter

User Info Menu

nice one ike!

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm going to throw a name out that I never knew. Brent Jones was drafted by the Steelers in 1986 in the 5th round. We evidently cut him and he went on to have a great career for the 49ers ... the TE was selected to 4 Pro Bowls.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I forgot about Mahan. He was weak. But some other stinker FA signings: Duce Staley. We got a total of one decent game out of him the entire time he was here. I KNEW he was washed up, for years Philly had nothing but him so they run the legs off of him; he was hurt the last few years in Philly, so why did Pgh pick him up? I thought it was a bad move from the get go. And, who was that drunk CB they got from Chicago? He never did crap. And, who can forget David Woodley or Todd Blackledge? Or Kent Graham.
    I thought Duce was a great pick up... the problem was once he was hurt he stayed in sweats for a long time.

Duce was running hard and gashing teams until the Pats player punched his hammy. Talk about dirty...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I thought Duce was a great pick up... the problem was once he was hurt he stayed in sweats for a long time.

Duce was running hard and gashing teams until the Pats player punched his hammy. Talk about dirty...
    I agree. Duce was averaging over 100 yards per game. The Steelers had the two big backs and Ben as a rookie and they were rolling. Duce was a big part of that regular season win over the Pats* until he hurt his hammy (I believe it was reputed to be Rodney Harrison that punched his hamstring in the pile, but cannot recall for sure).

He wasn't the same after he got hurt, but never once complained about his role.

Rookie

User Info Menu

IIRC, Cowher had Duce dress for XL and put him out there on Special Teams, so he could play in a SB...

Classy move...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    IIRC, Cowher had Duce dress for XL and put him out there on Special Teams, so he could play in a SB...

Classy move...
    Very classy. He dressed and I remember seeing Bill apologize to him on the sidelines that he couldn't get him a carry.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cowher was classy IMO. He even handled shoving a pic into the ref's pocket with class.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]