Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My question is this...

Legend

User Info Menu

My question is this...

Where are we getting all this Salary Cap money from? We were out of money 2 free agent signings ago. Can't we get in trouble for signing people we dont have the cap room for? Or does it not count until the 1st game?
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 04-02-2014 at 08:38 PM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I keep wondering the same thing. How will we pay any rookies?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

I know LaMarr money frees up after June 1st or 2nd, but that's a few months away.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Our capologist, Omar Khan, has it covered.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The cap only counts the top 51 contracts. I believe they are only technically paying the difference between the new contract and the contract pushed to #52 when counting what goes against the cap.

according to Spotrac, the Steelers have over 2.7M in space before factoring in Blount, DHB, McCain, and Michael Palmer. Contract #51 is 434K - signing someone for vet minimum (there are also cap discounts that come into play somehow with this) may only add about 200K if it is a contract like Will Allen that only counts 635K against the cap.

[url]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/cap/[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Two rules to keep in mind here. The first rule is "The Rule of 51". Under this rule, only the top 51 salaries count towards the salary cap prior to the start of the regular season. Second rule is the "Rule of Displacement". Now, this is where it gets kinda tricky. Under the Rule of Displacement, a portion of the salary of any newly signed free agent who qualifies as a "Top 51" salary is offset in an amount equal to the salary of the previous lowest player in the "Top 51".

For example, say we signed a free agent for $630,000 for this year and that he qualifies as a top 51 salary. Also assume that prior to signing our new free agent, we had a player on the roster who was the lowest paid member of the top 51 with a salary of $300,000. After we sign our free agent, our previous lowest member of the top 51 is no longer part of the top 51. However, by virtue of the rule of displacement, his $300,000 cap hit is offset by the signing of our free agent. Meaning, that our free agent actually only cost us $330,000 in additional cap space; not $630,000.

This is my understanding of what has been happening. I could be wrong on a few points, but I think I'm in the general ballpark. I hope I explained this well.

I see D Rock beat me to the punch, and was a little more concise.

Legend

User Info Menu

The salary cap is the Obamacare of the NFL. I don't know how anyone can understand this nonsense.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    The salary cap is the Obamacare of the NFL. I don't know how anyone can understand this nonsense.
    Because, like Obamacare, all you really have to do is read and pay attention...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Because, like Obamacare, all you really have to do is read and pay attention...
    Until the changes come again, and what you know is not what is known.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Legend

User Info Menu

Thanks for explaining it you 2. You'd think someone in the media would at least touch on it.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S