Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Cook: Finest moment for Mike Tomlin as Steelers coach

Rookie

User Info Menu

How many Super Bowls did Barry make it to after that one?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Who was that legendary Steelers Head Coach that Barry beat?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

It's all about winning. He has the same number of rings as Tomlin.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Who was that legendary Steelers Head Coach that Barry beat?
    Why are you dragging Cowher into this? You can't defend Tomlin without dragging someone else into the conversation? Typical.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    It's all about winning. He has the same number of rings as Tomlin.
    How many games did Switzer win as HC?

How many playoff games?

When was his first losing season?

Backup

User Info Menu

How many games did Switzer win as HC?

How many playoff games?

When was his first losing season?
    Switzer had a .625 winning % (40-24). He had ONE losing season. His last one. He was 5-2 in the playoffs or .714. He won his division 3 out of 4 years.

Rookie

User Info Menu

So, he had a losing season in his fourth season?

And then he "stepped down" as coach....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    no facts, no inside info. just a guy with an opinion.
    any tomlin hater could write a crappy article like this and spin a bad light on tomlin just as easy and have as much credibility.

1)he wasnt in the interview so he doesnt know if tomlin said a single word

there, i did it.
    This is ridiculous. We werent in the room true but I know this for a fact.

Tomlim WITHOUT QUESTION was one HECK of an interview. How do I know this?

Say what you want about him as a coach, and over time yes it all sounds "cliche" but I have NO DOUBT it made a TREMENDOUS first impression.
    How do I know this? He has the SKILLS period. I have never competed with Ben for a QB job but "I KNOW" he can throw a better spiral than I can.

This very interview on the controversy is an example of it. Tomlin know how to say what he needs to say with skills that nobody has.
    You think Belecheat could do better with his mumbling style?
    Dude would LOOKS like he lying when he is telling the truth (too bad for Tomlin, when Belicheat comes to his defense nobody cares ).

Tomlin's skills at the kind of communication that makes an impression in an an interview setting are WITHOUT PEER in this league.

We can argue all day long about him as a coach. But come on WE KNOW he was a stellar interview. He has proven skills he has show time and time again.
    Grimm versus Tomlin as an interview (Wiz had left) is like Wallace versus Casey in a footrace. I never saw them do it but I KNOW who would win.

Tomlin had arguably THE BEST COACHED SECONDARY IN HISTORY at Tampa. Here is a sample:

In 2004, the Bucs were first in pass defense, allowing only 123.3 yards per game.
    He coached the top-ranked pass defense in 2002, when the Bucs surrendered 155,6 yards per game in the air and had 31 interceptions. That same year, the Bucs limited opposing QBs to only 10 TDs and a passer rating of 48.4. That same team won Super Bowl XXXVII,led by Tomlin’s secondary that recorded four out of the five interceptions by Tampa Bay, including two that were returned for touchdowns.

As DC the vikings went from PATHETIC to number 8 in one season.

He was competing with Grimm who's CAREER coaching experience was teaching FAT MEN TO BLOCK and TO THIS DAY has NEVER been even a coordinator. Even his pal Wiz would not entrust him with that job. Hate on Haley all you want, Wiz ave HIM the offense over Grimm.

And just in case you STILL dont believe THE OBVIOUS that Tomlins interview skills were the difference, here is "horses mouth for you:

Tomlin, who keeps boxes loaded with old coaching planners and notebooks and has a log of every practice, impressed the Rooneys enough to
    reach the second round as one of five finalists.

"The second interview did it," Rooney says. "He was prepared and understood what we were saying. He just really sold us."

Having heard Tomlin all these years is that really any suprise?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-07-2013 at 10:47 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Switzer had a .625 winning % (40-24). He had ONE losing season. His last one. He was 5-2 in the playoffs or .714. He won his division 3 out of 4 years.
    Wow, I did not recall that? IMPRESSIVE.
    They have not had as MANY playoff wins the Cowboys had in the ONE SEASON they beat COWHERS TEAM (least we forget) in all the years since then COMBINED.

So Vader why exactly are THE COWBOYS the template you want to follow?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 12-07-2013 at 11:00 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Wow, I did not recall that? IMPRESSIVE.
    They have not had as MANY playoff wins the Cowboys had in the ONE SEASON they beat COWHERS TEAM (least we forget) in all the years since then COMBINED.

So Vader why exactly are THE COWBOYS the template you want to follow?
    Again. People can't talk about Tomlin without bringing Cowher into this. The fact that Cowher must be introduced into the conversation means that you can't defend Tomlin on his own merit.

Where did I ever say I wanted to follow the cowboys template? That's just you building another strawman. I NEVER said that. But that's what Tomlin supporters do. They try to get away from the facts and bring up something that has NOTHING to do with what is being discussed.

Also you said this:

As DC the vikings went from PATHETIC to number 8 in one season.
    You left out what "total defense" is really referring too. It's total yards. Big deal. The fact is they gave up almost the same number of points (21.5 to 20.4). Also you couldn't run on them. But with Tomlin's specialty being DBs coach they went from 22nd in the league to LAST 32nd in the league in passing defense. WOW what a great job.

Also I've listened to Tomlin press conferences for 7 years now. Not impressed at all. He "obviously" struggles finding big words to use to try to impress people. Which is way below the line. They interviewed 2 people from outside the organization. I'm SHOCKED he was the best... Yea, they did a bang up job brining people in. They interviewed him and Riveria. So all he had to do was beat out Grimm (who the Rooney's had known for years and wasn't likely to blow them away) and Riveria. WOW what competition.