Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ben on The Fan today... said its time for a team meeting

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I do. I have seen Tom Brady play with crap around him, and look like Tom Brady. He makes quicker reads, has a quicker release...and his game is built around setting up the deep ball with ball control passing. Ben is a gun slinger, wants the deep ball at all times, isn't accurate or consistent enough to pull off the O, Haley is trying to implement. That might be an unpopular opinion but Ben isn't playing well and Im not willing to put that all on the OL and WRs. He has been missing many wide open WRs.
    I agree here, to an extent. And it's part of the problem. Haley is asking Ben to be cerebral, make reads and get it out quick. Brady, Manning, guys like that could handle it. We all know Ben isn't the sharpest tool in the shed... again, i put this on Haley - you have to know your players. you don't ask manny sanders to play tight end, you don't ask pouncey to play tailback, because it's not what they do best.

Backup

User Info Menu

I do. I have seen Tom Brady play with crap around him, and look like Tom Brady. He makes quicker reads, has a quicker release...and his game is built around setting up the deep ball with ball control passing. Ben is a gun slinger, wants the deep ball at all times, isn't accurate or consistent enough to pull off the O, Haley is trying to implement. That might be an unpopular opinion but Ben isn't playing well and Im not willing to put that all on the OL and WRs. He has been missing many wide open WRs.
    I take it you didn't see Brady's last game against the Jets?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    you don't ask manny sanders to play tight end
    he's actually a more physical blocker than any of the TEs we have playing right now

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree here, to an extent. And it's part of the problem. Haley is asking Ben to be cerebral, make reads and get it out quick. Brady, Manning, guys like that could handle it. We all know Ben isn't the sharpest tool in the shed... again, i put this on Haley - you have to know your players. you don't ask manny sanders to play tight end, you don't ask pouncey to play tailback, because it's not what they do best.
    Agreed. Haley is asking Ben to be Tom or Peyton. He isn't those guys. He is a great sandbox, back yard QB, but he isn't a system guy. I thought it was going to work. Ben started off with a bang in this new system. But, since injury I have seen him struggle with reads and accuracy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzTo7 View Post
    I take it you didn't see Brady's last game against the Jets?
    I'm talking about a Brady in his prime...which is where Ben should be at 31. Tom is 36 and on the tail end of his career. He isn't what he used to be. In his prime and before, Brady made a very mediocre core of WRs and OLmen look really good with his quick reads, quick release, accuracy and vision. Haley could coach a QB like that. But, he has no idea how to use a guy like Ben, and that is quite obvious.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Töm87;573687]The Vets should rather walk into Rooneys office and say " It's us or Haley". But i guess they don't have the balls to do that.
    Blaming it on the youngsters is sooooooooooooo cheap, damn it Ben.[/QUOTE

Maybe you ought to listen to the podcast of the interview to get the context of the discussion because Ben was not blaming the younger players.

The radio media asked Ben if he had concern about the newer players "getting used to a losing games/ season and that developing some kind of lose attitude that can permeate a group" --my words not exactly theirs but hoping it demonstrates the intent of the questioning.

Ben answered by going into the team meeting explanation and wanting the younger guys to know that that is not the type of thing they want going forward, e.i, "that is not the Steeler way".

Kindle

Backup

User Info Menu

Agreed. Haley is asking Ben to be Tom or Peyton. He isn't those guys. He is a great sandbox, back yard QB, but he isn't a system guy. I thought it was going to work. Ben started off with a bang in this new system. But, since injury I have seen him struggle with reads and accuracy.
    Again, more myth. The Haley offense looked respectable last year because of Ben bailing it out on all those 3rd & longs. That had nothing to do with Haley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Again, more myth. The Haley offense looked respectable last year because of Ben bailing it out on all those 3rd & longs. That had nothing to do with Haley.
    that's where i was going with it... love to see how much of this was due to Haley's system making a good call - and how much was related to Ben just being Ben and getting numbers that they wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Hoping Heath is back soon... that should help

Rookie

User Info Menu

that's where i was going with it... love to see how much of this was due to Haley's system making a good call - and how much was related to Ben just being Ben and getting numbers that thn, they wouldn't have otherwise gotten. Hoping Heath is back soon... that should help
    Well, then Ben just needs to remember how to be Ben again...then, the team will be fine...

Legend

User Info Menu

So when anyone sees things different from you it's a "myth"? Ok.