Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Dolphins cut Jonathan Martin, would you consider claiming him on waivers?

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Dolphins cut Jonathan Martin, would you consider claiming him on waivers?

I am as sick of hearing about the Martin-Incognito saga as anyone, but reports are surfacing now that Martin's attorney might be trying to get the Dolphins to release Martin:

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/08/cornwells-statement-could-be-aimed-at-getting-dolphins-to-release-martin/[/URL]

If Miami does release Martin, would you be interested? The article mentions the Niners because Harbaugh was his college head coach and the Colts because Luck was his college QB and Pep Hamilton was his college O.C., but we are higher up on the waiver order than San Fran or Indy. Martin played LT at Stanford with David DeCastro at RG, and a huge staple of Stanford's smashmouth run game was running off tackle left behind Martin with DeCastro pulling and leading the RB through the hole.

Our OL has always had different personalities (ranging from Willie Colon growing up on the mean streets of the Bronx to Max Starks helping to run his family's funeral home, for instance), and someone like Kelvin Beachum seems to be quite similar to Martin's background than compared to a [EMAIL="bad-@$$"]bad-@$$[/EMAIL] punk like Richie Incognito. Martin was taken 14 spots ahead of Mike Adams in the second round a couple of years ago. He's a smart, young, talented guy that I liked better than Adams pre-draft that year. Considering how badly we are hurting along the OL (and at tackle in particular), it could be worth the gamble to pick up someone with his pedigree for nothing...even if we don't play him at all this year and just plan to give him a shot next year after a full offseason program and training camp under his belt. Just curious what the reaction of you folks might be if this became a possibility.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Claim him on waivers? Yes.

But only if he brings his buddy Richie along.

J/K with that last sentence...

Legend

User Info Menu

We are not in a position to refuse to look at a possible contributors on the OL. I would call Decastro into the office and ask him for an honest assessment of this guy's character and toughness. As much as we'd love to find a good LT on the bonus plan, we don't need the kind of baggage that could follow unless he is worthwhile.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is Martin good? What's being lost in all of this ESPN drama is J. Martin's play. If he is good then sure... give him a shot but if he is soft then HELL NO, we have too many softies as it is.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Is Martin good? What's being lost in all of this ESPN drama is J. Martin's play. If he is good then sure... give him a shot but if he is soft then HELL NO, we have too many softies as it is.
    Don't know whether he's soft or not, but they did bring in McKinnie to take his spot at LT and moved him to RT just prior to him leaving. Read somewhere he was the 63rd rated tackle (Lt or RT) in the league. That's lower than Adams was.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Don't know whether he's soft or not, but they did bring in McKinnie to take his spot at LT and moved him to RT just prior to him leaving. Read somewhere he was the 63rd rated tackle (Lt or RT) in the league. That's lower than Adams was.
    yeah.. we have a few Martin's on our team already.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For me it comes down to whether or not we are releasing anybody of value to make space for him.

Whatever has gone on down here (I live in Miami now) I don't think you can draw any sort of conclusion about his on field toughness from how he dealt with a shower of nimrods threatening him and his family over the course of months. I agree with getting some input from DeCastro. But if there is legitimate interest from the Niners than Harbaugh must feel OK with brining him in. That, for me, would tell me there are no concerns from the coaching side.

And I agree that we've had some odd ducks on this team over the years. Even Troy has an atypical off-field persona for a football player.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yeah.. we have a few Martin's on our team already.
    And then there's everyone's "dream" pick for the upcoming draft; Taylor Lewan.

"Lewan is the Jadeveon Clowney of the Big Ten, the pampered superstar who's doing his school a favor by suiting up this season.

Clowney, the South Carolina defensive end, has taken all the heat this season for being a college superstar who's unwilling to play hard while waiting to collect NFL millions. In comparison to Lewan's performance and effort, Clowney looks like the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

No one talks about offensive linemen because most sports fans cannot properly evaluate their play. Lewan plays my position. He's been embarrassing. The ridiculous and selfish unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he received in Saturday's game is indicative of his play all season. He's resorted to cheap shots and bullying because he failed to adequately prepare to have a dominant senior season.

He's coasting. He turned down NFL millions last April to return for his senior season. You can see the entitlement and arrogance every time he lines up. He's Michigan's captain. He's slumming in Ann Arbor for one more season, and he thinks everyone in maize and blue should be thankful to be in his presence."

[url]http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9936259/brady-hoke-fix-michigan-wolverines[/url]

Starter

User Info Menu

Naw,I'm not into drama.

Backup

User Info Menu

Serious question. We hear about Clark and Troy mentoring Thomas. About the CB's being mentored by Ike and Cotch mentoring Wheaton. In each of those cases, you have an established veteran/star at a position or group mentoring younger players. Who did/do we have that was an actual mentor type for these young O-Linemen? Pouncey is still a pretty young guy himself. Whimper? I guess maybe Velasco, but he just got here after the first game.