Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Great Job by the Offensive Line

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

steelers need all the cap room they can get going forward.

velasco seems like a gift. If you can get him for half the price (or less) of pouncey, I think you make that move and spend those dollars elsewhere.

I also don't like the idea of moving pouncey to OG either. Just let him walk if you feel velasco is comparable for far less money.

Starter

User Info Menu

In the last three games (Bills, Lions, Browns), the Steelers O-line has faced three of the best D-linemen in the league. Mario Williams, Ndamakong Suh, and Phil Taylor.

None of those three players registered a single stat in those three games. NOT A SINGLE STAT! No tackles, assists, sacks, etc. That's pretty darn good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    In the last three games (Bills, Lions, Browns), the Steelers O-line has faced three of the best D-linemen in the league. Mario Williams, Ndamakong Suh, and Phil Taylor.

None of those three players registered a single stat in those three games. NOT A SINGLE STAT! No tackles, assists, sacks, etc. That's pretty darn good.
    A lot of that credit has to go to Haley, Tomlin and Ben for the uptempo offense...

I'm not sure if we used it as much vs the Browns (I missed the first half)

then again.. not even a tackle or an assist? That's insane... OL definitely gets credit for that stat.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post

Wow. That is impressive.

I was among the strongest critics of Haley earlier this year, but I think he has to get at least some of the credit for game-planning, along with strong execution by the line.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Wow. That is impressive.

I was among the strongest critics of Haley earlier this year, but I think he has to get at least some of the credit for game-planning, along with strong execution by the line.
    Another big test coming Thursday night when they face Ngata. Last game vs. the Ravens, DeCastro and co held Ngata to something like 2 tackles. If they continue this run of good play on Thursday, I'd bet another W is on the way!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    This is the perfect year to extend Pouncey. And I agree we need to keep him. Coming off a blown knee is a good time to talk some down to earth numbers. I would be thinking in the 5 year/25 million category.
    Shawn, I would not give Pouncey anywhere near that amount, and I also don't believe he would accept it. People say you can't get rid of a PB center, and I can't see him as a PBer. I have not been impressed since he was a rook, and believe that he has coasted on rep since then. OLinemen have always made PBs on rep because it is the one position that voters can't just look at a stat sheet to determine their contributions. So many linemen get in due to "hey, I know that guy, he's pretty good from what I recall". These are the same types of voters who consistently undervalue Ben because he does not put up the fantasy numbers of many other QBs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    sorry, completely disagree. A probowl center that can't stay healthy (whether his fault or not) for 16 games isn't a probowl center. Velasco has clearly outplayed Pouncey. Velasco is with the team all of 3 months and he already has made strides vs what we get from Pouncey. Put the best players on the field at once, that includes Pouncey at guard if needed.
    Sorry...Not close. Velasco has played very good...But Velasco is no Pouncey. Pouncey's level of play is ProBowler...Period. You want to dispute if he is worth the dollars he will command...Fine. No disputing his play.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 11-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The OL is better because it is developing chemistry. They are logging snaps together. They are growing an understanding of each other & the system. They are getting better because of the experience. This isn't an epiphany. This is just something that happens. Two years into a new OC & 11 games into a new OL coach. Add in the fact that 4 of the 5 starters at the beginning of the season were under 24 & the oldest was 27 (Foster). Where did all of you set the floor for that group? Even now with Adams at TE the age from left to right is 24-27-28-23-25-23...That's a group that has no where to go but up with experience. An OL that plays together grows together. Pouncey in the mix would be headed in the same direction. The encouraging thing is the improvement is obvious and the offense is really benefiting from it. Lets keep it up!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Shawn, I would not give Pouncey anywhere near that amount, and I also don't believe he would accept it. People say you can't get rid of a PB center, and I can't see him as a PBer. I have not been impressed since he was a rook, and believe that he has coasted on rep since then. OLinemen have always made PBs on rep because it is the one position that voters can't just look at a stat sheet to determine their contributions. So many linemen get in due to "hey, I know that guy, he's pretty good from what I recall". These are the same types of voters who consistently undervalue Ben because he does not put up the fantasy numbers of many other QBs.
    Pouncey is going to be looking to be one of the highest paid Off Linemen in the NFL. We can't do that for him so I think he will be gone.

IMO Pouncey is the Wallace of the OL...lots of hype but when you look real close you see lots of holes. Someone will overpay for him like they did for Wallace...I just hope it isn't us.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-26-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I feel like you are doing the same thing with Pouncey... he started out extremely high and people expected him to elevate his play based on what? DD going down? Mendenhall going down? The LT and TR going down every other game??? ...and Redman and Dwyer as our feature back?