Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keenan Lewis is developing into a top-notch CB

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I would tend to agree with what you are saying. Unless we consistently get to the QB we will have problems.
    Yup, pressuring the quarterback is the key and they have been getting better at least in providing pressure, they may not be getting the sacks, but that's because once quarterbacks feel pressure they tend to get rid of the ball and, it's that haste in delivering the ball that tends to cause errant throws by even the best quarterbacks in the game (including Ben).

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Yup, pressuring the quarterback is the key and they have been getting better at least in providing pressure, they may not be getting the sacks, but that's because once quarterbacks feel pressure they tend to get rid of the ball and, it's that haste in delivering the ball that tends to cause errant throws by even the best quarterbacks in the game (including Ben).

Pappy
    IMO sending Timmons more often is the key. Opponents focus on the outside with Harrison and Woodley. Moving Timmons around and sending him up the middle or looping to the outside seems to be effective.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Keenan Lewis will be a UFA next season. He will want 4 million per at least.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

Worth it. Easily.

Legend

User Info Menu

If that is all he wants, sign him up now. Even average CBs can make that much money. Keenan is not average.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If that is all he wants, sign him up now. Even average CBs can make that much money. Keenan is not average.
    It really sucks that we get productivity of 1 year and then have to sign these guys to long term deals. Timmons was the same way. We need to get productivity from these guys earlier in their careers.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

CB Lewis praised

Tomlin praised the play of cornerback Keenan Lewis, who leads the team with 15 passes defensed, nearly double those of the next highest, Ike Taylor with eight.

Lewis also has moved into the No. 4 spot on the team with 31 tackles and has a forced fumble to his credit.

"I think the arrow has been pointed up with Keenan," Tomlin said. "More than anything, he's been consistently challenging and competing with just about every throw. I think that's a great place for solid corner play to begin, to challenge throws consistently. He has done that, has been productive and has been a big component of why we've been hot, particularly on the back end in recent weeks."

The arrow has gone way up on Lewis at ProFootballFocus.com, where the play of each NFL player is analyzed and ranked. Earlier, Lewis ranked 91 out of 100 cornerbacks. He has improved to a tie for 43. PFF ranks nickel back Cortez Allen in a tie for 26 and Taylor at 63.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/polamalu-brightens-steelers-injury-report-could-return-against-ravens-660967/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

And that will be $4M less to pay Wallace if he keeps his demands ridulously high. This will be the toughest off season in memory. Could be a big turnover in personnel.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    And that will be $4M less to pay Wallace if he keeps his demands ridulously high. This will be the toughest off season in memory. Could be a big turnover in personnel.
    We could always let Lewis go, sign Wallace, then go to the CFL and sign Joe Burnett to replace Lewis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It really sucks that we get productivity of 1 year and then have to sign these guys to long term deals. Timmons was the same way. We need to get productivity from these guys earlier in their careers.
    What about Lewis makes you think he was ready earlier? He was an absolute mess as a rookie (fellow rookie CB Joe Burnett was better back then, and he's playing Canadian football now). In year 2, he showed some promise in camp and the first couple of preseason games, but then had a complete physical, mental, and emotional breakdown in Denver that showed that he still wasn't ready to be a regular contributor to the defense (but the team saw enough potential in him the he was worth keeping around, even if he wasn't contribute much at all on defense). In year 3, he progressed to the point that he was a solid 3rd corner for us. In year 4, he progressed to the point that he is a solid starter. I have no problem whatsoever with this career arc. Certainly better than throwing him into the fire prematurely and destroying his confidence because he is playing before he is ready.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.