Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Takin Unfair Hits

Legend

User Info Menu

Keep in mind that every player we cut and let walk is cap space we have in the future for a player like Pouncey. Pouncey will probably demand the salary of the highest paid Center in the NFL and we need to start clearing the cap space for that contract now.

Fans may not like the plan, but I'm confident the Front Office has a plan they are executing. That is why they cut Harrison and didn't try to resign Lewis. IMO, the emphasis is shifting from the defense to the offense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Woodley was coming off of 3 great years when he signed his new contract - 13.5, 11.5, and 10 sack seasons, including great performances in the playoffs. The contract he signed was not an issue at the time.

He came in the next season with his new money and started tearing it up. 9 sacks in the first 8 games, and then the injuries started and have plagued him for the past 1.5 seasons.

Looking back at that contract as a mistake is silly. At the time it was a great signing. ~10 million a year for one of the league's best sack artists, and a guy with consistent production.

Pass rushing DE's make more than that. There are 9 DE's with higher average/yr salaries. Woodley is still the 3rd highest average LB, but at the time he was also one of the best and rightly set the market price for a stud pass rushing OLB.

Don't let the injuries affect the hindsight 20/20 vision with this one. That was a good signing.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO, the emphasis is shifting from the defense to the offense.
    Strange they wait 9 years into Ben's career to realize you build around your franchise QB.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Strange they wait 9 years into Ben's career to realize you build around your franchise QB.
    strange, the way the did it before got them 3 SB appearances and 2 wins.

(and let's not forget that the two 1st round picks following Ben were Heath and Santonio...weapons provided to build around their franchise QB.)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    strange, the way the did it before got them 3 SB appearances and 2 wins.

(and let's not forget that the two 1st round picks following Ben were Heath and Santonio...weapons provided to build around their franchise QB.)
    And how has that offensive line been, the one mentioned here that drew my comment?
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Woodley was coming off of 3 great years when he signed his new contract - 13.5, 11.5, and 10 sack seasons, including great performances in the playoffs. The contract he signed was not an issue at the time.

He came in the next season with his new money and started tearing it up. 9 sacks in the first 8 games, and then the injuries started and have plagued him for the past 1.5 seasons.

Looking back at that contract as a mistake is silly. At the time it was a great signing. ~10 million a year for one of the league's best sack artists, and a guy with consistent production.

Pass rushing DE's make more than that. There are 9 DE's with higher average/yr salaries. Woodley is still the 3rd highest average LB, but at the time he was also one of the best and rightly set the market price for a stud pass rushing OLB.

Don't let the injuries affect the hindsight 20/20 vision with this one. That was a good signing.
    I disagree about Woodley fat boy took the money and ran. He had only one sack in the first four games of that season and then was called out by Tomlin and that's when he decided to play, he then went on to have a couple of two sack games before getting injured that boosted his total to 9. I bet you right now if they had ask Fat boy to take a pay cut this year and if he refuse, NO other team would have gave him no where near a 61 million dollar contract.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

And if the Steelers lowballed Woodley and another team signed him, I bet all the cryers would've been bashing the front office & the organization just like now.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    I disagree about Woodley fat boy took the money and ran. He had only one sack in the first four games of that season and then was called out by Tomlin and that's when he decided to play, he then went on to have a couple of two sack games before getting injured that boosted his total to 9. I bet you right now if they had ask Fat boy to take a pay cut this year and if he refuse, NO other team would have gave him no where near a 61 million dollar contract.

4 games? that's you sample size? He actually had 1.5 sacks in those 4 games, 1 in week 1 and .5 in week 2. So he had two games without a sack and then went on a tear, and that's what you find issue with?

Unreal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I find a issue with half azzing it until the coach made public that they need more production from him, but here's the key word AFTER THE BIG PAY DAY!
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Before Pouncey was drafted the Steelers considered Colon to be their best O-lineman
    I kept hearing that...but from watching the games, honestly, I never could see it. I never saw him being that great at right tackle, and while he may have been starting to come on at guard, how did he ever really show himself to be worthy of big money?

With Woodley I tend to agree, and was surprised they gave him that much money. My guess is another team would of paid him that amount and the Steelers didn't want to lose a talented OLB.
    Maybe...or maybe the Steelers didn't evaluate well and overpaid. He always seemed to be sort of one-dimensional, more so than Harrison, and IMO, would have been easier to replace.

The injuries killed him just like many other Steelers, maybe we get a healthy Lamar in 2013 and he's back to form and in shape.
    Hopefully he's gotten the message and is working on it...and isn't the D's version of Colon, good for only a few games a season.

We need the playmaker Lamar this coming season more than ever, when he's on he's damn good, maybe Woodley earns that big payday in 2013 we sure could use some QB pressure.
    I wonder how much of the "on" Lamarr was the result of better play in front of and around him. In other words, I don't know if he's a guy who can help carry the team as much as a guy who excels only when everyone around him is doing well. Like you, I hope he's the former....because after re-working his contract again, I think we're stuck with him for a few more years.