Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Emmanuel Sanders Will Have Plenty of Competition on FA Market

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    They say his agent broke every rule in negotiations... agreed with the Chiefs "in principle", used that deal to negotiate with the Bucs without telling them they agreed "in principle" with the Chiefs, then agreed with the Broncos while blowing off a meeting with SF.

Sounds greasy.... but probably legal and nothing more than aggressive negotiating. Pretty sure teams do this to players all the time.

Until the ink is on the paper its not a deal IMO.
    His agent was just reinstated after being banned.

And while legal, backing out on an agreement reached in principle goes beyond aggressive negotiating, and will hurt the agent in the future. Even with my most contentious adversaries, if we reach an agreement verbally, we honor it prior to the agreement being reduced to writing. It takes time to draft a contract or agreement, and Sanders' agent is a complete scumbag if this went down as it was reported.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post

And while legal, backing out on an agreement reached in principle goes beyond aggressive negotiating, and will hurt the agent in the future. Even with my most contentious adversaries, if we reach an agreement verbally, we honor it prior to the agreement being reduced to writing. It takes time to draft a contract or agreement, and Sanders' agent is a complete scumbag if this went down as it was reported.
    This from NFL.com "This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations," one executive involved said. "Totally wrong. This needs to be stopped."

Legend

User Info Menu

Agent has to make his money back from when he was banned. I guess it comes down to what "in principle" means.

It does show that Sanders was on more than 1 or 2 teams radar.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-16-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe you are a lawyer so I'll take your word on it. Still doubt it matters to Sanders or his agent. It doesn't sound like its illegal and I bet FO's back out of verbal commitments from time to time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I believe you are a lawyer so I'll take your word on it. Still doubt it matters to Sanders or his agent. It doesn't sound like its illegal and I bet FO's back out of verbal commitments from time to time.
    Doesn't matter to Sanders now, but I'd bet it adversely impacts his agent (and his clients) in the future.

As you said, it's not illegal, but that doesn't make it right.

Legend

User Info Menu

Doesn't matter to Sanders now, but I'd bet it adversely impacts his agent (and his clients) in the future.

As you said, it's not illegal, but that doesn't make it right.
    Prior to my current business venture, I have spent most of my business life buying and selling merchandise and negotiating these deals all the time. In my business, word got around quickly regarding people who negotiate in bad faith. The NFL is a much smaller business community. You can be assured that this word has already spread like wildfire. After all, we know about it so every NFL exec and agent does too.

If you think that teams avoid the Drew Rosenhaus's of the world, wait until you see the leper treatment that this clown will receive next time he makes some phone calls. Clients will leave or not sign with him because of it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Prior to my current business venture, I have spent most of my business life buying and selling merchandise and negotiating these deals all the time. In my business, word got around quickly regarding people who negotiate in bad faith. The NFL is a much smaller business community. You can be assured that this word has already spread like wildfire. After all, we know about it so every NFL exec and agent does too.

If you think that teams avoid the Drew Rosenhaus's of the world, wait until you see the leper treatment that this clown will receive next time he makes some phone calls. Clients will leave or not sign with him because of it.

agreed and i hope this does happen
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Eecutives Crying Foul on the new Sanders Deal

I am having tough time copy paste the article. Its on NFL

Emmanuel Sanders deal leaves executives crying foul

By Ian Rapoport NFL.com
    NFL Media Insider
    Published: March 16, 2014

Emmanuel Sanders has agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Broncos worth $15 million, but the process that led him there left the other teams involved fuming and crying foul. One team official claimed Sanders' agent broke "every rule in negotiations."

Agent Steve Weinberg, on behalf of the wide receiver, accepted a deal with the Chiefs in principle, according to one team source. Weinberg then engaged in negotiations with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to another source involved in the process.

While shopping the Chiefs' offer to the Bucs, Weinberg never explained that he had already accepted the terms of Kansas City's offer. Later in the night, Sanders' agent had agreed to terms with the Broncos, which is where he is currently headed. Sanders and Weinberg also rankled the 49ers by agreeing to visit, then blowing it off.

"This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations," one executive involved said. "Totally wrong. This needs to be stopped."

Reached at his home late Saturday, Weinberg declined to comment on the record when informed of the allegations.

The Dallas-based agent recently was reinstated by the NFL Players Association, which had barred and decertified him in 2003 because it had reportedly found he diverted assets to an offshore account during a dispute with a partner and collected a fee from a client prematurely. Weinberg later filed suit against the NFLPA and its top officials, alleging they illegally took away his certification for eight years, along with past, present and future income of clients.

Weinberg has two clients currently on NFL teams, not including Sanders. He had 42 before he was barred.

While Weinberg broke no laws in accepting a deal, the entire situation infuriated those he dealt with. It is commonly accepted in the league that once two sides agree to a deal -- in writing or in handshake form -- that's the end of the story. Instead, Weinberg's shopping the Chiefs deal and then not informing the Bucs that an agreement had been reached showed another side of the business. A Broncos source said the team had no knowledge of any prior agreements before it agreed to terms with Sanders.

"When a man gives you his words and pulls out," one executive said, "then gives another team your word and pulls out, then gives another team his word ... not proper."

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334409/article/executives-crying-foul-over-emmanuel-sanders-deal[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Teams do this every year when they sign a player to 5 years for 30 million (for instance) and cut them after year one or 2 depending on the guarantee. Just because it is common means its morally right I suppose and this is in writing. I know his agent shouldn't have verbally agreed, but if he didnt they would have pulled the offer off the table the minute he talked to another team. I'm just saying there is plenty of "wrong doing" going around from both sides.
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 03-16-2014 at 04:00 PM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I can tell ya right now that in cities where the owners are old school like in Pittsburgh with the Rooneys, an agreement with a hand shake is a done deal. The way it used to be and still should be. And I know this as fact, not just a guess..... If that lawyer did that, he should be embarrassed for doing so.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion