Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where do you rank Brown in all-time Steelers WRs?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Where do you rank Brown in all-time Steelers WRs?

I know we live in an era where passing is more prolific than any other, in both % of pass plays called and rules that benefit the passing game more than ever. And I know Brown is only half way through his career. That being said, I believe he is among the greatest WRs to ever put on the black and yellow. If we don't factors in longevity too much, and we ask ourselves who were the best Steelers "who were the greatest WR in their prime, in the modern era (1970s and newer)" how would your list go?

Mine goes like this.

1.) Swann - if longevity entered here, he'd be lower on the list. But in his prime, he was special.
    2.) Hines Ward - never the most athletic, he got ALL he could from his skill set. Best attitude of all time. I loved that guy.
    3.) A. Brown - Sorry. He is that good. Had more yards last year in a season than anyone in team history.
    4.) Louie Lipps - was all we had in his era. No QBs worth spit. No other play makers. He was good.
    5.) Stallworth - Maybe the most underrated.
    6.) Thigpen - Brief stint, hurt a lot. But when he was right, he was super.

It gets murky from here on. Oh, and check this out. Cool music too.

Backup

User Info Menu

That is ridiculous to Rank Brown that high. And I would never place any WR above Hines Ward. And Stallworth would likely be 2nd on most fans list behind Ward. Then comes Swann, then likely Brown, then Plex and then Thigpen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I concur

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    That is ridiculous to Rank Brown that high. And I would never place any WR above Hines Ward. And Stallworth would likely be 2nd on most fans list behind Ward. Then comes Swann, then likely Brown, then Plex and then Thigpen.
    Hines was more than just the starting WR. He set the tempo from the WR position, something that is rare from that position. Even in the era of WR inflation, I think Hines is first-ballot... that is how much I think of him.

No disrespect to either Swann/Stallworth (both HOF), but I think it is pretty clear-cut.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's my Top 10:

1.) John Stallworth
    2.) Hines Ward
    3.) Lynn Swann
    4.) Louis Lipps
    5.) Plaxico Burress
    6.) Antonio Brown
    7.) Yancey Thigpen
    8.) Santonio Holmes
    9.) Charles Johnson
    10.) Buddy Dial

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Brown is going to be the best WR we have ever had and he only needs another year to prove it.

Dude has a jersey in Canton already and the Lions game last year showed me he is on his way to being one of the best WR's to ever play the game. I know it's hyperbole but the kid is that good.

Every time he touches the ball he is capable of taking it to the house.

I don't think we have EVER had a WR this good.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Brown will be better than Ward.

Man i thought that deal was too much for brown, looks like one hell of a bargain now

Brown has ability like Marvin Harrison. Just hope we can find someone to play across from him

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Antonio Brown is going to be the best WR we have ever had and he only needs another year to prove it.

Dude has a jersey in Canton already and the Lions game last year showed me he is on his way to being one of the best WR's to ever play the game. I know it's hyperbole but the kid is that good.

I don't think we have EVER had a WR this good.
    I think it is too early to know. The EXACT SAME CASE COULD BE MADE ABOUT LIPPS early on. He looked like he was gonna leave Swann and Stallworth in the dust and a sure bet for Canton over both of them.

Dude broke the league punt return record AND had over 800 yards and 9 TDs receiving as a pro bowl rookie.

Lipps' second season in 1985 saw him go over 1000 receiving yards and catch 12 touchdowns. He was named 1st Team All-Pro that year.

Same stature, same skill set as Brown an even FASTER start but it did not last.

I am with Hawaiian on my top three:
    1) Stallwoth
    2) Ward
    3) Swann

I have Lipps and Brown tied for fourth at this point. Brown has a great chance to move up the list.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-30-2014 at 10:44 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Man, what could have been with Holmes too....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I get your point from a returner perspective but I am perplexed that with his clear ability to juke people and make them miss how he does not actually score more receiving TDs.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-30-2014 at 10:52 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I get your point from a returner perspective but I am perplexed that with his clear ability to juke people and make them miss how he does not actually score more TDs.
    I was a big critic of his ability to score....first half of last season he had 2 TDs in 8 games, and both came in a blowout loss to chicago.

He turned it on (along with the rest of the team) scoring 6 in the final 8 games. I would fully expect him to get double digits this year