Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hood at NT

Backup

User Info Menu

Hood at NT

Was it me or did our pass rush instantly get an upgrade when McClendon went down and Hood took over at NT? If it turns out that Hood is a good NT that will be "the straw that breaks the camels back" in terms of my trust in our talent evaluation/coaching staff. It seems like there has been multiple misjudgements of talent on our team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought Woods took over, though I did notice Hood have a nice arm-over move, to get a pressure on the QB. Sadly, it really felt like the first good move I've ever seen Hood use on a pass-rush.

Legend

User Info Menu

In camp, Wolf and Tunch were describing Al Woods as a beast.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    In camp, Wolf and Tunch were describing Al Woods as a beast.
    Dude is built like a young Casey...

Legend

User Info Menu

Reality is that Hood would be a very, very good 4-3 DT. Just not sure he fits what LeBeau does
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Reality is that Hood would be a very, very good 4-3 DT. Just not sure he fits what LeBeau does
    I'm sorry, Ovi, but I don't see it. Even when he has been asked to rush the passer, Hood has shown very little. Look at the impact that Heyward has on passing plays vs. Hood. Hood did make a nice move yesterday, but hasn't done anything to show that he would be an impact player in any system.

It will be interesting to see what they do against the Ravens. The Ravens center had a hard time with McClendon (one of the few games where I've seen McClendon's play as a positive - the other was against the Titans). I'm not sure that Hood or Al Woods will give him similar troubles.

I'd imagine that the Steelers DL will be Hood-Woods-Heyward if Keisel cannot go again. If Keisel is able to go, it will be interesting to see if Hood gets reps at NT.

I'm interested to see if the Steelers have anything in Fangupo, who seems to be built in the mold of Joel Steed and Casey Hampton, but a huge game against the Ravens on a short week is not where I'd want to experiment.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hood can play NT if he needs to but I believe Woods gets the nod as the starter when Kiesel returns. To late in the game. Fangupo will back Woods up. Hoods does look better rushing the QB from the inside. He was getting good push & beat the G & C on some plays. If McClendon heads to IR I would think Arnfelt gets called up to add a body to the DL rotation.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MicroBioSteel View Post
    Was it me or did our pass rush instantly get an upgrade when McClendon went down and Hood took over at NT? If it turns out that Hood is a good NT that will be "the straw that breaks the camels back" in terms of my trust in our talent evaluation/coaching staff. It seems like there has been multiple misjudgements of talent on our team.
    I was watching what kind of lineup we had after McClendon went down. We went to a 4-3 with the first couple of snaps. Worilds, Hood, Heyword, Jones as the down linemen. Garvin, Timmons and Williams as the LBs and then 4 DBs. Williams came off the field and Allen came on for a 4-2-5 Nickel. When we went with a 3-4 it was Woods in at NT. Hebron Fangupo also had some playing time later in the game.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    I was watching what kind of lineup we had after McClendon went down. We went to a 4-3 with the first couple of snaps. Worilds, Hood, Heyword, Jones as the down linemen. Garvin, Timmons and Williams as the LBs and then 4 DBs. Williams came off the field and Allen came on for a 4-2-5 Nickel. When we went with a 3-4 it was Woods in at NT. Hebron Fangupo also had some playing time later in the game.
    Wow. Garvin got snaps with defense? I didn't catch that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Wow. Garvin got snaps with defense? I didn't catch that.

He has had some snaps in the Dime as well this year. You have to remember he played Safety at WVU. It wasn't until his Senior year at WVU that he moved into what I think they called a Bandit Safety, which that year was a S/LB Hybrid.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!