Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye bye k. Lewis

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    So Steelers will be looking for Ike Taylor replacement in this draft?? They already had too many holes to fill now add CB.

Ike Taylor is 33. He was atrocious early on during last season. Ike Taylor is going to get worse..on top of that his 10 million salary is not going to look good.

Steelers FO philospphy is let young players go by...sign one of the worst player in NFL just because he knows the system....awesome way of rebuilding...
    Im not saying I totally agree with what the Steelers are doing. Im just stating a fact. Keenan Lewis was done here the day Gay signed. End of story. Ive been following them enough to know how they do business. To be honest I would have been more shocked if they did sign Lewis.

All that being said, I really think everyone is over-valuing Lewis. This reminds me alot of when Gay went to Zona. He was coming of his only good season here, and people were pissed when the Steelers let him go. Bottom line is Gay is an average to below average player. And Lewis is an average to above average player. I wouldnt over pay for either one of those guys.

Rookie

User Info Menu

William Gay is a good Nickel DB...say whatever else you want to about him, but he is a good Nickel DB...

I don't know that the Steelers have really lost that much with Taylor/Lewis/Allen as opposed to Taylor/Allen/Gay...now, if something happens to one of the starters and Gay is pushed into a starting role, I won't be enthused...

As far as young players go, they still have Brown, Van Dyke and Victorian on the roster...it took Keenan Lewis four years to become a competent starter...those players are still developing...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    William Gay is a good Nickel DB...say whatever else you want to about him, but he is a good Nickel DB...

I don't know that the Steelers have really lost that much with Taylor/Lewis/Allen as opposed to Taylor/Allen/Gay...now, if something happens to one of the starters and Gay is pushed into a starting role, I won't be enthused...

As far as young players go, they still have Brown, Van Dyke and Victorian on the roster...it took Keenan Lewis four years to become a competent starter...those players are still developing...
    I agree with this. Plus at some point during the draft they are going to add another corner to the mix.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Maybe Colbert was serious when he said the team wants more turnovers. Lewis is overpriced- a 1 year starter that couldn't catch.

The NFL really is a 'what can you do for me now' league- last year Lewis plays pretty good, and his moving on to another team is contemptible. Forget, if you will, the previous years significantly uninspiring performances. He had 1 years success- lavish money on him!

On the contrary, rejoice people- the Steelers lost a WR that had a down year, but had previously had over 1000 yards a season in successive seasons. He didn't top 1000 last season- get rid of him!

Don't suppose Chadman needs to bring up the other 1-year wonder the Steelers lavished money on, and how wonderfully that worked out...
    I 100 percent agree, it took three years to start heck he couldn't even beat out William fn Gay now all of a sudden people think it's a big loss
    But yet they dog Wallace for having great seasons.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes the same William Gay that everyone hates now, Lewis couldn't beat him out THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!!! Have one decent year and now he's the next Woodson
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers were very high on DVD, Allen, & Brown in the 2011 draft. They have all three on their roster. Taylor, Allen, Gay, Brown, DVD, & maybe King/Victorian. Still solid with potential to be very good. Believe in the Lake effect.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Yes the same William Gay that everyone hates now, Lewis couldn't beat him out THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!
    Was he given the chance?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

He's a decent nickle CB. I'll give you that. He's not even close to having the ability to lineup on the outside against #2 like Lewis did last year. We've seen him get absolutely abused on the outside and opposing teams recognized how much of a weak link he is against a #2.. If the Steelers thought signing Gay and letting Lewis go was the best for the FUTURE of this franchise then they're stupid.

Some of you are knocking Lewis for his lack of INTs. What about Ike? He's not exactly an INT machine. Ike will be close to 33.5 by the start of the season and is due almost 9 MILLION. Are some of you saying that you wouldn't pay Lewis the contract he got but you want an old Ike Taylor that has proven his entire career that he CAN'T create INTs and pay him almost 9 MILLION? I don't see the logic in that at all. There is no way I would pay an aging Ike Taylor 9 million. I've always been a fan of Ike but I just don't understand how you pay Ike 9/mil at his age when he doesn't create INTs.

Signing Lewis to that deal and giving him the #2 spot and Allen the #1 spot (or vice-versa) makes more sense than keeping Ike around for 1 more year at 9/mil.

Some of you are knocking how long it took for him to become a solid player. How long did it take Timmons to be a solid all-around player (especially in the run game)? How long did it take James Harrison to become a solid all around player?

For the record, I'm ok with Ike and Allen starting this year with Gay, Victorian, etc has our depth. However, I think it was an incredibly stupid decision for the future of the defense past this year. It was very a very short sighted decision...
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

The lack of picks isn't a DB's fault in this system. They are taught to "tackle the catch".

Legend

User Info Menu

Has anyone thought...hey maybe Lebeau will play a young player if they are ready to play?
    Trolls are people too.