Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Defense, defense, defense...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Who would you rather have? Mebane/Red Bryant? Or Steven McClendon and Ziggy Hood? I'd take the Seattle guys and it isn't close. How many guys on the 2014 Steelers do you really think would have been starters for Seattle? I think 3 would be a lot.
    You are basing Hood and McClendon's evaluation in a D that tells them to occupy blockers...

If they were in a 4-3 they may look totally different.

Look at Asumough (sp) and Revis.. both looked AWFUL in zone after being considered top talents in man to man....

I still believe we are slow to evaluate our talent and use them to the best of their ability.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You are basing Hood and McClendon's evaluation in a D that tells them to occupy blockers...

Look at Asumough (sp) and Revis.. both looked AWFUL in zone after being considered top talents in man to man....

I still believe we are slow to evaluate our talent and use them to the best of their ability.
    We've seen how Ziggy Hood looks when he plays a traditional 4-3 DT role in the nickel. He stinks. Cam Heyward plays in the same systems and generates a heck of a lot more pressure.

Nobody else in the NFL thought that McClendon would amount to much of anything. He had one visit as a FA, and GB obviously didn't see fit to match or exceed the deal the Steelers gave him, which pays him as a marginal starter.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with you 100%. How on this earth was Heyward sitting for two seasons? Really Lebeau? Hood was better than even a rookie Heyward? Doubt it.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

We've seen how Ziggy Hood looks when he plays a traditional 4-3 DT role in the nickel. He stinks. Cam Heyward plays in the same systems and generates a heck of a lot more pressure.

Nobody else in the NFL thought that McClendon would amount to much of anything. He had one visit as a FA, and GB obviously didn't see fit to match or exceed the deal the Steelers gave him, which pays him as a marginal starter.
    We hear that all the time...

Legend

User Info Menu

The nickel is not a 4 man Def Line. You are talking apples and oranges when citing play in the nickel as an indicator.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The nickel is not a 4 man Def Line. You are talking apples and oranges when citing play in the nickel as an indicator.
    When it comes to rushing the passer, not at all. You can see that Cam Heyward collapses the pocket and gets after the QB. Keisel also gets pressure. Hood does not.

Legend

User Info Menu

We hear that all the time...
    In the case of McClendon, he has done nothing to disprove that he is a marginal to below-average starter.

Legend

User Info Menu

How many guys on the 2014 Steelers do you really think would have been starters for Seattle? I think 3 would be a lot.
    I say only ONE. Timmons.
    But of course the only our problem is our DC not lack of talent.

Or we need another Casey because making no plays and the rare skill of being able to "occupying blockers" will will magically make Vince Williams into the next Farrior, JJ into Deebo and turn the clocks back on aging Troy.

Funny how Farrior used to tease Casey that he was BETTER behind Hoke.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-15-2014 at 11:20 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I say only ONE. Timmons.
    But of course the only our problem is our DC not lack of talent.

Or we need another Casey because making no plays and the rare skill of being able to "occupying blockers" will will magically make Vince Williams into the next Farrior, JJ into Deebo and turn the clocks back on aging Troy.
    Timmons would be a backup for SF.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

In the case of McClendon, he has done nothing to disprove that he is a marginal to below-average starter.
    Nose tackles are judged based on the success of others.
    We had the number one defense in the league in the only time Casey missed half the season.
    All of a sudden HOKE could be a starter anywhere else in the league. Dude could not make the ALL MOUNTAIN WEST team.

As long and we have average players BEHIND the NT, the NT will look bad.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 03-15-2014 at 11:45 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher