Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: US Football...err Soccer

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They are 120 pound people that run all the time for a living.....im not impressed

Also, despite it being boring as all hell theres a major problem with TV networks not getting commercial time during game

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    They are 120 pound people that run all the time for a living.....im not impressed

Also, despite it being boring as all hell theres a major problem with TV networks not getting commercial time during game
    That's actually a positive for a fan. Commercials are the reason that I only watch Steeler games. Can't bring myself to sit through all the commercials for a team I'm not emotionally invested in.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I dont mind commericals too much

But its not about the fan, we know that. Its a money play and that market isnt NEARLY good enough to go without commericals for 45 straight minutes and still be beneficial to broadcast

Legend

User Info Menu

The guy who came in in extra time for Belgium and was the difference maker is 6'2" 220lbs and fast as hell. If he was growing up as a kid in the US he would be pushed into football as a RB or Safety. In Belgium, his first choice is soccer. That is the type of players we need to see more of taking up soccer here in the US and whether people want to believe it or not it is happening more and more. The whole concussion thing with football has many of the parents of boys I know not wanting then to play football.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The guy who came in in extra time for Belgium and was the difference maker is 6'2" 220lbs and fast as hell. If he was growing up as a kid in the US he would be pushed into football as a RB or Safety. In Belgium, his first choice is soccer. That is the type of players we need to see more of taking up soccer here in the US and whether people want to believe it or not it is happening more and more. The whole concussion thing with football has many of the parents of boys I know not wanting then to play football.
    Yeah, but he came in extra time lol

Belgium has a young and very talented team...but i dont think its too shocking to see someone come off the bench and stand out when everyone else has been running around playing keep away for 90 minutes

Should just make them run sprints for an hour before they play since the goals are only scored when everyone is tired

Legend

User Info Menu

I dont mind commericals too much

But its not about the fan, we know that. Its a money play and that market isnt NEARLY good enough to go without commericals for 45 straight minutes and still be beneficial to broadcast
    That's why soccer uniforms are walking billboards advertising something or other. The actual team name goes on a tiny crest on the chest that you'd need to zoom in on a 60" HDTV to see, but you can clearly read the name of the airline or bank or insurance company or car manufacturer or whoever is the primary sponsor.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Anyone who watched some of the world cup can see that these guys are also taking a beating. I wonder what the effects of headers are on a soccer players brain.

Good article pointing out the rise of concussions in soccer
    [url]http://www.bustle.com/articles/29535-jermaine-jones-head-on-collision-during-us-germany-game-highlighted-soccers-concussion-problem[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Anyone who watched some of the world cup can see that these guys are also taking a beating. I wonder what the effects of headers are on a soccer players brain.

[URL]http://www.bustle.com/articles/29535-jermaine-jones-head-on-collision-during-us-germany-game-highlighted-soccers-concussion-problem[/URL]

you mean when someone touches them they fall down like they were shot with a gun, roll around for a few minutes, act like their leg is broke and then miraculously jump up and never miss a second of the game and run around with no noticeable effect?
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    you mean when someone touches them they fall down like they were shot with a gun, roll around for a few minutes, act like their leg is broke and then miraculously jump up and never miss a second of the game and run around with no noticeable effect?
    Because of the concussion they just sustained, they must have forgot they were injured.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

[URL]http://www.bustle.com/articles/29535-jermaine-jones-head-on-collision-during-us-germany-game-highlighted-soccers-concussion-problem[/URL]
    Ive had all of my major injuries in life from playing soccer. Now my knee is ground down some and I quit to save the knee for my future. It is a grueling game, plenty of contact, and heading the ball is not near as bad as klonging heads wth another player.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.