Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    So with all these shortcomings, how is it that many board members were touting the Adams pick as a good one? (I for one was never sold on the guy.... and still not.)
    I think that while many here are college football fans and watch a lot, very few actually have a real grasp on each player, and often rely on the analysis of the media who cover the game as a whole.

Adams has that thing that football people drool over and can't be taught - prototypical size, and athleticism. That, and the whole story about him wanting to become a Steeler so badly that he drove to Pittsburgh to beg for a chance made a nice story, so it was easy to find the fairy tale ending to this story.

However, the one person on this board who had watched his entire college career, was far from sold, and mentioned it every chance he could. To paraphrase, Adams was called big, dumb, lazy, and has no passion for the game - despite his midnight dash to Steeler headquarters.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    The second is find somebody who can teach our linemen how to play offensive line in the NFL. Name one OL on this roster who has improved his game since arriving. I can name two...Kelin Beachum, Ramon Foster. One went from UDFA to okay starting LG. One went from late round pick to spot starter/quality backup. Pouncey, Gilbert, Adams, Decastro (although I can give him a temporary pass due to injury), Urbik (who could not succeed in Pittsburgh but did under other coaching) etc.
    I think DeCastro has made a huge improvement during the course of this season. Don't know if it's partly due to coaching help, or not.

As I said, if we could get a real LT, I think our OL would be looking pretty good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that while many here are college football fans and watch a lot, very few actually have a real grasp on each player, and often rely on the analysis of the media who cover the game as a whole.

Adams has that thing that football people drool over and can't be taught - prototypical size, and athleticism. That, and the whole story about him wanting to become a Steeler so badly that he drove to Pittsburgh to beg for a chance made a nice story, so it was easy to find the fairy tale ending to this story.

However, the one person on this board who had watched his entire college career, was far from sold, and mentioned it every chance he could. To paraphrase, Adams was called big, dumb, lazy, and has no passion for the game - despite his midnight dash to Steeler headquarters.
    i don't typically watch OL, but Adams caught my eye due to him being so highly touted out of HS and discussions with my dad about him. I watched him and watched him. I was probably as familiar with him as any scout. I'm not sure how any scout seen him as more than a 4-5th round prospect and even then as a project and based on his size. If someone like myself who played two years of pee wee football knew confidently that he was a bum, how did our scouts get it wrong? And we wonder why our OL is so bad? Well that is easy. Our OL scouting department is really bad.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great Posts Just Plain nasty...good reading...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

I think we can officially focus on draft talk no matter what rah rah BS the Pep Band wants to put out every week.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    So with all these shortcomings, how is it that many board members were touting the Adams pick as a good one? (I for one was never sold on the guy.... and still not.)
    I really don't think you can say ANY college player coming out is a finished product can you? Like in Adams case, he was inconsistent in his play & technique in college but he did show what he "could" be. If he wasn't inconsistent & a positive test he is a Top 15 pick imo. When you have a kid who has the stature of a model LT and shown some skills...You project what he could become within an NFL program. The only "risk" in the Adams pick was with the positive test. The 2nd round pick on projected talent was worth it. The hindsight if he fails is easy to bring up because it was a 2nd. If he turns into Orlando Pace people will bow to the pick. It is just the wonderful mystery of the NFL draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I really don't think you can say ANY college player coming out is a finished product can you? Like in Adams case, he was inconsistent in his play & technique in college but he did show what he "could" be. If he wasn't inconsistent & a positive test he is a Top 15 pick imo. When you have a kid who has the stature of a model LT and shown some skills...You project what he could become within an NFL program. The only "risk" in the Adams pick was with the positive test. The 2nd round pick on projected talent was worth it. The hindsight if he fails is easy to bring up because it was a 2nd. If he turns into Orlando Pace people will bow to the pick. It is just the wonderful mystery of the NFL draft.
    I agree and disagree. While every player is a project to one degree or another coming out of college. There are those who dominate at the college level. While domination at the college level is a reasonable indicator for NFL success, it certainly isn't fool proof at any position. With that said, players who are scrubs at the college level, rarely become good in the pros, just because they have protypical size.

In the case of Adams, I know no one here watched more of him than me. He played with a lack of passion, never played with a mean streak. He never played with urgency. He was painfully inconsistent. I watched him look like a good OLman in some games, then give up two sacks the next. He has always been "potential"...and has never seemed to play up to it.

I fear the scouts were starry eyed over his look...his size...his long arms. I think he probably looked really good in controlled situations where he knew every eye in the house was watching him. How much game film did these guys watch? I suggest not much. Because if they had, they would have seen what I seen. He was a 4th-5th round project at best...but fooled the scouts into giving him a 1-2nd round grade.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree and disagree. While every player is a project to one degree or another coming out of college. There are those who dominate at the college level. While domination at the college level is a reasonable indicator for NFL success, it certainly isn't fool proof at any position. With that said, players who are scrubs at the college level, rarely become good in the pros, just because they have protypical size.

In the case of Adams, I know no one here watched more of him than me. He played with a lack of passion, never played with a mean streak. He never played with urgency. He was painfully inconsistent. I watched him look like a good OLman in some games, then give up two sacks the next. He has always been "potential"...and has never seemed to play up to it.

I fear the scouts were starry eyed over his look...his size...his long arms. I think he probably looked really good in controlled situations where he knew every eye in the house was watching him. How much game film did these guys watch? I suggest not much. Because if they had, they would have seen what I seen. He was a 4th-5th round project at best...but fooled the scouts into giving him a 1-2nd round grade.
    College dominance doesn't gauge NFL success. For every argument you could find a counter & you know that. It isn't any revelation to say a scrub in college won't explode as a pro. I also didn't say anywhere where size or stature grades a player out. I watched a lot of Adams. He was never a 4th or 5th round grade and to sit here & say YOU knew that now holds no weight. He was inconsistent...Like I said. But he also showed he could be a very good LT. Just like any other kid coming out...Could & Should is settled on the field. Scouts don't make the calls & Colbert, Tomlin, & position coaches evaluate. From Top to bottom...A miss is a miss.

You are critical of the Steelers scouts...But you have arrested coked-up drop out Colt Lyerla rated as a 2nd round TE in your Steelers mock. You should probably change that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I think DeCastro has made a huge improvement during the course of this season. Don't know if it's partly due to coaching help, or not.

As I said, if we could get a real LT, I think our OL would be looking pretty good.
    I agree that he has improved, but I see that as more of a recovery from injury and living up to his own level than anything else. He was a highly touted first rounder who, IMO, is simply getting back to where he should be, not jumping beyond his starting point.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    JPN, I agree that no player coming out of college is a finished product, they simply have a floor and a ceiling, with a certain likelihood that they will fall within that range. What I am seeing too often over the past few years are Steeler draftees who are coming much closer to hitting their floors than their ceilings. Much of that comes to character evaluation, while much also comes to coaching. These issues must be addressed if this team is to move forward.