Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Its Time Sombody Said It

Backup

User Info Menu

ccI wonder if we maybe should find someone better at recognizing O-Line ability. I mean a few seasons ago, we took a player from Wisconsin, Kraig Urbik and the Penn State Center, A.Q. Shipley, and BOTH were outright waived. Now Shipley is gonna likely be the Ravens starting Center, and is as Powerful of a Linemen that there is ( 740 Lb Bench press ) and Urbik has been a cemented Guard for the Bills for 3 years, and I would actually LOVE to have him back here playing RG for us.

I'm not calling out Pouncey as a stiff, or even a bad player. But maybe before we give this guy a HUGE new deal, maybe we should think about moving him to Guard, and get another player for Center...one with more pure Bull strength.

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL from the Sidelines

Post-Washington thoughts

@ As tough a night as it was for the running backs, it might have been worse for the offensive line, particularly Maurkice Pouncey, Marcus Gilbert and Guy Whimper.

All were beaten badly numerous times at the line of scrimmage. It's one thing for it to happen to Whimper, who is likely to be cut.

It's another for your supposedly Pro Bowl center and starting right tackle to have issues. Then again, David DeCastro had some issues as well, so maybe it was just one of those nights.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS0602[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

WOW ! I said these comments about Pouncey last year and had these same unspoken feelings his rookie year only to be blasted by Steeler fans wearing their rose colored glasses. The guy might be a decent center but that is as far as it goes. He made me wish for Legursky last night to be our center and for Pouncey to move to guard. At the minimum, Pouncey has gotten too much love on the field and I'm not thrilled with how he behaves off the field neither.

Legend

User Info Menu

I said this past offseason that Max Starks was our best lineman for for the last few years. Some on here said that Maurice Pouncey was much more talented. I tend to disagree.

From what I have seen these first 2 preseason games, Decastro is the best lineman on the squad, and Starks is sorely missed.

Big Ern McCracken

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Now Shipley is gonna likely be the Ravens starting Center, and is as Powerful of a Linemen that there is ( 740 Lb Bench press )
    Just as an aside...he only has to push that weight about 3 inches and then he's ranged out.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Just as an aside...he only has to push that weight about 3 inches and then he's ranged out.

Yeah okay, you're right, he did have some short arms didn't he ? But still, he has been a Center since we released him. And Urbik, OUCH. That one hurt cause it's not like we put him on the PS and was signed by Buffalo. We outright Cut him, and then the BILLS of all teams signed him, and has turned him into a very good, Damn near Pro Bowl Guard!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Doug Legursky is nothing but a TE with 20 extra pounds, and Kraig Urbik was a Bruce Arians draft pick, which means that he might not even be the right kind of offensive lineman for the blocking schemes that the Steelers now use.

As for Maurkice Pouncey, at least we know he's capable of performing at an All-Pro level even if he hasn't recently.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sedatedsteelerfan View Post
    Yeah okay, you're right, he did have some short arms didn't he ? But still, he has been a Center since we released him. And Urbik, OUCH. That one hurt cause it's not like we put him on the PS and was signed by Buffalo. We outright Cut him, and then the BILLS of all teams signed him, and has turned him into a very good, Damn near Pro Bowl Guard!!
    ramon foster beat him out that year and foster has started even more games in the NFL.

not saying we couldnt use a guard, but what the heck did ubrik show when he was here ??? nothing

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    ramon foster beat him out that year and foster has started even more games in the NFL.

not saying we couldnt use a guard, but what the heck did ubrik show when he was here ??? nothing
    How much of a chance was he given? That's right, we had that stud guard, Kemo... or was it Colon. No reason to consider Urbik.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Redskins defense is used to practicing against the ZBS as their offense uses it as well. Being this is only the 2nd preseason game these guys have had to go against an actual opponent, I'm hoping they are still becoming comfortable with the new coach and system. As to the point of Pouncey being out muscled, I will have to watch the game more closely, (I was watching it while in the Seattle airport), but if he was tentative or still thinking about his reads, etc, the defensive man may have beat him to the punch and gotten leverage. I'm hoping this is what is happening, I'd rather not think one of our top lineman is regressing.