Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For OV - Joe Burnett CFL Defensive player of the week

Legend

User Info Menu

For OV - Joe Burnett CFL Defensive player of the week

[url]http://cfl.ca/article/burris-fantuz-headline-players-of-the-week[/url]

The Defensive Player of the Week is Edmonton's first-year cornerback Joe Burnett.

In addition to registering three tackles in the Esks' 27-14 win over BC, Burnett intercepted Lions quarterback Travis Lulay twice, including a 108-yard return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter. Burnett currently leads the CFL in interceptions with three.

Legend

User Info Menu

I always liked Burnett, thought he had good natural instincts.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Thank you for this. I did see something about something else he did earlier.

There are some that can poo poo Burnett but like I said when he was here, I never saw a player who broke on a football as fast as he did. Seems to be working well for him north of the border.

Too bad it didn't work out here for whatever reason. However to my dying day I will never believe Keenan Lewis is a better CB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Let me preface what I am about to say, by first saying, I am a Canadian and big time CFL fan - especially for my beloved Saskatchewan Roughriders. That said, I am a huge Steelers fan and wanted Burnett (he's not the only former Steeler in the league or on that team actually - Edmonton Eskimos) to do well, even though I hate the team he plays for.

Burnett has had a very nice start to the season. But don't be fooled by the stats too much. 2 of his 3 picks, were right place and right time, fortunate picks on bad throws or off the hands of the receiver. That said, the Player of the Week honours are a bit of a joke up north. The deciding panel looks at stats not the paly IMO. Meaning, a guy could get beat for 2 tds but if he got 2 lucky picks and 7 tackles as a db (because his guy was beating him all day), the panel could easily give choose him for a player of the week honour.

What you should know, is that he has had tight coverage on his man on a regualr basis. Burnett is off to a good start so far in his young CFL career.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Top Pittsburgh Steelers Turnovers That Could Have Been

By Bill Kostkas (Contributor) on September 15, 2010

Joe Burnett Drops Game Clincher Against Oakland, December 6, 2009

The Steeler defense allowed the Oakland Raiders to walk down the field the last two times they had the ball. They had one last chance after Ben Roethlisberger gave them their second four-point lead to play with in five minutes.

In the middle of another Bruce Gradkowski march, rookie cornerback Joe Burnett had a Gradkowski pass hit him in the stomach. Unfortunately it didn't stay there. The ball hit the ground and gave the Raiders another chance to win the game.

They took advantage of the opportunity that the Steelers couldn't. A Louis Murphy touchdown catch with nine seconds remaining gave the Steelers their fourth-straight loss. Their second in three games to a team with a losing record. If Burnett catches that pass maybe the Steelers make the playoffs. Could it have had something to do with him not being on the current roster?

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/463845-the-top-steeler-turnovers-that-could-have-been[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    The Top Pittsburgh Steelers Turnovers That Could Have Been

By Bill Kostkas (Contributor) on September 15, 2010

Joe Burnett Drops Game Clincher Against Oakland, December 6, 2009

The Steeler defense allowed the Oakland Raiders to walk down the field the last two times they had the ball. They had one last chance after Ben Roethlisberger gave them their second four-point lead to play with in five minutes.

In the middle of another Bruce Gradkowski march, rookie cornerback Joe Burnett had a Gradkowski pass hit him in the stomach. Unfortunately it didn't stay there. The ball hit the ground and gave the Raiders another chance to win the game.

They took advantage of the opportunity that the Steelers couldn't. A Louis Murphy touchdown catch with nine seconds remaining gave the Steelers their fourth-straight loss. Their second in three games to a team with a losing record. If Burnett catches that pass maybe the Steelers make the playoffs. Could it have had something to do with him not being on the current roster?

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/463845-the-top-steeler-turnovers-that-could-have-been[/URL]
    Thank you for uploading this.

No matter what, no matter what kind of nice guy or whatever anyone wants to say about a guy like this, the bottom line is that he isn't/wasn't an NFL caliber player. And I know that you can't take one play, and indict a guy's total ability. But in that case (I can still see it in my mind's eye), you simply can't drop that pass. You can't.

It's worse than Tim McKyer getting beat in the '94 AFCC when he had no business getting beat...

The only Steeler play that comes to mind (off top of my head) that was worse, was Tommy Maddox fumbling away a regular season Jax(?) game by not being able to bend down to pick up a ball... a ball that my 80-year old grandpa could pick up.

Legend

User Info Menu

Burnett's drop during a losing skid a year after winning the SB is worse than Tim McKyer getting beat in the AFCCG?

Did you major in theatrics? LOL.... no way was Burnett's drop worse. LOL

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Thank you for uploading this.

No matter what, no matter what kind of nice guy or whatever anyone wants to say about a guy like this, the bottom line is that he isn't/wasn't an NFL caliber player. And I know that you can't take one play, and indict a guy's total ability. But in that case (I can still see it in my mind's eye), you simply can't drop that pass. You can't.

It's worse than Tim McKyer getting beat in the '94 AFCC when he had no business getting beat...

The only Steeler play that comes to mind (off top of my head) that was worse, was Tommy Maddox fumbling away a regular season Jax(?) game by not being able to bend down to pick up a ball... a ball that my 80-year old grandpa could pick up.
    I'm still waiting for Ike Taylor to drop that first INT. Oooops, I mean catch that first one.

Pointing out one drop as a definition of whether you have talent to play in the NFL is riduiculous. Burnett isn't in the NFL so be it, but it isn't because of one dropped INT...which by the way he was in position to get because he had the WR blanketed.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Kind of hard to blame that game on Burnett. Should he have held on - of course. But Gay had been beaten on the drive for 29 yards and again for 19 yards. And after the dropped int; Taylor allowed a 23 yarder to put the Raiders in great position. A total of 83 yards through the air on guys not named Burnett...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreegking View Post
    Let me preface what I am about to say, by first saying, I am a Canadian and big time CFL fan - especially for my beloved Saskatchewan Roughriders. That said, I am a huge Steelers fan and wanted Burnett (he's not the only former Steeler in the league or on that team actually - Edmonton Eskimos) to do well, even though I hate the team he plays for.

Burnett has had a very nice start to the season. But don't be fooled by the stats too much. 2 of his 3 picks, were right place and right time, fortunate picks on bad throws or off the hands of the receiver. That said, the Player of the Week honours are a bit of a joke up north. The deciding panel looks at stats not the paly IMO. Meaning, a guy could get beat for 2 tds but if he got 2 lucky picks and 7 tackles as a db (because his guy was beating him all day), the panel could easily give choose him for a player of the week honour.

What you should know, is that he has had tight coverage on his man on a regualr basis. Burnett is off to a good start so far in his young CFL career.
    With all due respect Newbie!! : )
    I would say half of INT's in the NFL are "right place, right time" ...and i would also say with the big advantage to offenses in the CFL, getting an INT is impressive none the less
    Tight Coverage?? now that's what we like to hear. I had high hopes for Burnett but with Brown & Allen waiting in the wings I have totally forgot about that guy.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!