Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A great read on Wallace, and might make some look different at the situation...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not sure I want to find out.

I just find the vitriol for wallace to be over the top by most here. I don't blame a guy for wanting to be paid commiserate with his talent level and production. I guess everyone in the anti-wallace group would readily sign up for less than what their peers make. Glad I'm not balancing their checkbook.

I see a lot of FGs in our future, but that's what we were getting last year with this new and improved offense, so saving money is a wash.
    Last edited by Eddie Spaghetti; 02-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't understand why people want to pay elite money for Wallace. I hear the argument "He's a legit deep threat" or the "offense will struggle". The "offense will struggle"? Yea, let's pay a guy 10+ mil a year because the offense MIGHT struggle.

To me, he isn't elite and I can list several reasons why. I'm not a Wallace hater. I would love to have Wallace back on the team but I would refuse to bring him back for elite $$. It's that simple.

The same people that want to pay Wallace huge money because of depth/need at the WR position are the same people that would reach for a player in the 1st round of the draft because of "need". That is not how the Steelers operate. They won't be held hostage by a WR because of "need" or "depth". They don't typically draft based on "need" alone either. They draft BPA at a position of need. That is a BIG difference because several positions are taken into consideration.

I don't want the Steelers to pay Mike Wallace 10/mil + per because of need. You pay him the $ because he's worth that dollar amount.... I don't think he's worth even close to that figure.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so is AB elite? The steelers seem to think he is close judging by his shiny new contract.

doesn't compute. Wallace is the better player, that's all I'm saying.

and they will miss him in the offense. There is no "might" about it. Can they get it done in other ways, I hope so but I'm not convinced.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    so is AB elite? The steelers seem to think he is close judging by his shiny new contract.

and they will miss him in the offense. There is no "might" about it. Can they get it done in other ways, I hope so but I'm not convinced.
    Ok... so we should pay Wallace 10 million + because we'll miss him? You want to pay him more $ than Brandon Marshall? Why? Overpaying for a player is not the answer. I pay him the $ because #1 he deserves it and #2 he'll continue to deserve it and continue progressing. I don't see either being the case.

And... I don't think Wallace is the better overall WR. Still and always will be a one-trick-poney.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

doesn't matter now as there isn't any money to pay wallace even if they wanted to.

agree to disagree on who is the better player, the numbers certainly back wallace whether you continue to deride him as a one trick pony or not. That's a nice trick to have in any case.

I hope you guys are right about AB and certainly love the guys toughness and commitment to the team, but he is going to enter a brave new world next season when opposing DCs don't have to account for wallaces one lousy trick. Hope it works out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

I don't agree at all that Wallace is the better player. He might be more physically gifted - I don't know. But Mike does one thing really well - flies. His hands are definitely not better than Brown's, his routes aren't better than Brown's and he doesn't appear to have the same heart.

"Get it done" without Wallace? We got it done with Hines Ward, Randle El and Cedrick Wilson. We can surely get it done with Antonio Brown, Sanders, Cotchery/Plax and/or whomever else they get to plug in there.

If we want to upgrade the receiver position, we need a guy like Boldin or Fitz who can out-physical the opponent and attack the ball. Wallace won't ever be that. Maybe we'll be lucky and find one to compliment AB.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't agree at all that Wallace is the better player. He might be more physically gifted - I don't know. But Mike does one thing really well - flies. His hands are definitely not better than Brown's, his routes aren't better than Brown's and he doesn't appear to have the same heart.

"Get it done" without Wallace? We got it done with Hines Ward, Randle El and Cedrick Wilson. We can surely get it done with Antonio Brown, Sanders, Cotchery/Plax and/or whomever else they get to plug in there.

If we want to upgrade the receiver position, we need a guy like Boldin or Fitz who can out-physical the opponent and attack the ball. Wallace won't ever be that. Maybe we'll be lucky and find one to compliment AB.
    I like DeAndre Hopkins from Clemson. He has speed, body control and catches the ball at it's highest point. He will be a good player in the pros and is proven at the college level.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post

the guys you mentioned at WR had a superb running game behind them, not to mention a HOF in ward. This group doesn't have anything close to that. Do you honestly believe that this WR group is capable of winning a championship? I don't.

and I can't help but find it amusing that we now need a fitz type WR to "compliment" our highest paid player at that position. Doesn't add up. WR is a huge need in this draft, but most rookie WRs don't contribute in year 1. I hope there is a p,an in place, but it sure doesn't look like it.

Legend

User Info Menu

F wallace. i still hope he gets severley injured before FA and cost him millions. the guy sold us out and the team in 2012 so not to get injured. wallace cares about wallace and nobody else. there is not 1 single NFL player that sacrifices his body for the fans, they all do it for the money. any fan that thinks a player cares for us is an idiot. if these players cared about getting injured more than making a ton of money they would all fall back on that free educatuion they received and work at a real job. name 1 player that decided to quit the nfl on their own and decide to work for 30-50K a year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why are people that don't feel Wallace is the teams biggest priority labeled "Anti Wallace?"
    Sh-t, I loved Yancey Thigpen and we some how survived.
    I also thought Plax was a great asset to the Steelers but we managed.
    Calling people delusional because we think we can make it w/o Wallace is just delusional