Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win range

Legend

User Info Menu

Win range

[url]http://cover32.com/2014/08/08/team-by-team-the-likely-win-range-for-each-nfl-team-in-2014/2/[/url]

win range for each NFL team in 2014By cover32 Staff
    August 08, 2014

AFC NORTH

Baltimore Ravens – If it weren’t for their history, where every season in the John Harbaugh era other than last year finished with a playoff berth, there’d be no reason to believe it was going to be a good season in Baltimore. They had more defections than additions during the offseason, while the Ray Rice situation has left a stain on the organization that will take some time to go away. It just feels like a down year in Baltimore, except for the fact that Harbaugh always finds a way to field a winner.
    Projected win range: 7-9

Cincinnati Bengals – There are always a few teams who go from worst to first in the NFL, rebounds that get a lot of attention. That also means, however, that there are organizations who have the opposite kind of season, regressing from a team on the cusp to an also-ran, stories that tend to get ignored. This year, it’s beginning to feel a lot like the Bengals will be in the second group. They did little to improve during the offseason, providing a sense that they had their shot the past couple of years and blew it.
    Projected win range: 6-8

Cleveland Browns – There is a ton of talent on the Browns roster, something that makes them an enticing dark-horse pick. But the quarterback situation is a little worrisome. Frankly, they’d be fine with either Brian Hoyer (who went 3-0 last year as the starter) or Johnny Manziel (who will be a fun player to watch); figuring out how to prevent the battle for the starting job from becoming a circus that derails the season is the key. If Mike Pettine can do that, the Browns could surprise some people.

Pittsburgh Steelers – On offense, the Steelers have a two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, one of the league’s best young receivers and an upstart running back. And on the other side of the ball, they have what Pittsburgh always seems to have – a solid defense. So this just feels like the year in which they right the ship in the Steel City, getting back to the playoffs after a two-year absence. It’s hard to bet against head coach Mike Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.
    Projected win range: 9-11.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    [URL]http://cover32.com/2014/08/08/team-by-team-the-likely-win-range-for-each-nfl-team-in-2014/2/[/URL]

win range for each NFL team in 2014By cover32 Staff
    August 08, 2014

AFC NORTH

Baltimore Ravens – If it weren’t for their history, where every season in the John Harbaugh era other than last year finished with a playoff berth, there’d be no reason to believe it was going to be a good season in Baltimore. They had more defections than additions during the offseason, while the Ray Rice situation has left a stain on the organization that will take some time to go away. It just feels like a down year in Baltimore, except for the fact that Harbaugh always finds a way to field a winner.

Cincinnati Bengals – There are always a few teams who go from worst to first in the NFL, rebounds that get a lot of attention. That also means, however, that there are organizations who have the opposite kind of season, regressing from a team on the cusp to an also-ran, stories that tend to get ignored. This year, it’s beginning to feel a lot like the Bengals will be in the second group. They did little to improve during the offseason, providing a sense that they had their shot the past couple of years and blew it.
    Projected win range: 6-8

Cleveland Browns – There is a ton of talent on the Browns roster, something that makes them an enticing dark-horse pick. But the quarterback situation is a little worrisome. Frankly, they’d be fine with either Brian Hoyer (who went 3-0 last year as the starter) or Johnny Manziel (who will be a fun player to watch); figuring out how to prevent the battle for the starting job from becoming a circus that derails the season is the key. If Mike Pettine can do that, the Browns could surprise some people.

Pittsburgh Steelers – On offense, the Steelers have a two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback, one of the league’s best young receivers and an upstart running back. And on the other side of the ball, they have what Pittsburgh always seems to have – a solid defense. So this just feels like the year in which they right the ship in the Steel City, getting back to the playoffs after a two-year absence. It’s hard to bet against head coach Mike Tomlin and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.
    Projected win range: 9-11.
    I'm wondering on what he is basing his "solid defense" comment? There are going to be a couple rookies seeing a lot of action, a player that is returning after a two year hiatus and a corner back crew that probably isn't terrifying Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, or any other competent quarterback. We're all hoping for a solid defense, but until the young guys get into a game with live bullets flying it remains an unknown.

It's always nice to know that D1ck Lebeau is there directing the unit.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the defense will be solid for sure....it has the chance to be very good though.

The steelers arent THAT far removed from a top 5 defense. They have addressed a few of the weak spots. Rookies can make a difference, we are just used to them not. If Tuitt and Shazier play well they could be a special group.

While the CBs might not "scare" anyone, i wouldnt be surprised at all if they have a top 10 DL, a top 5 safety due, and a top 5 LB corps...which is plenty to put together a good unit

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I think the defense will be solid for sure....it has the chance to be very good though.

The steelers arent THAT far removed from a top 5 defense. They have addressed a few of the weak spots. Rookies can make a difference, we are just used to them not. If Tuitt and Shazier play well they could be a special group.

While the CBs might not "scare" anyone, i wouldnt be surprised at all if they have a top 10 DL, a top 5 safety due, and a top 5 LB corps...which is plenty to put together a good unit
    We are that far removed...

I hope we are top 10 but it's a totally different D IMO and they have yet to prove they have this scheme figured out. The 73 yarder on the first play looked just like last year

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

2012? #1 overall, #1 pass, and #2 rushing?

Again, they addressed the weaknesses. DOnt know what else can be done besides realizing where you are weakest and correcting it

Legend

User Info Menu

2012? #1 overall, #1 pass, and #2 rushing?

Again, they addressed the weaknesses. DOnt know what else can be done besides realizing where you are weakest and correcting it
    The D in 2012:

Casey
    Keisel
    Wodley
    Foote
    Harrison
    Lewis
    Clark

We have addressed our weaknesses but we have no idea if the holes have been corrected.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    The D in 2012:

Casey
    Keisel
    Wodley
    Foote
    Harrison
    Lewis
    Clark

We have addressed our weaknesses but we have no idea if the holes have been corrected.
    Casey was a shell of himself that year....his burst off the snap was no where near where it was the few years before

Keisel should be brought back.

Linebackers have obviously been addressed, im excited about the current group.

Lewis was no where even close to as good as he was last year when he was with us....he thrived in the press man last season

I cannot see how Mitchell isnt an upgrade from Clark, and clark had a great year in 2012 despite being horrid in 13.

All i am saying is optimism is warranted given the draft, FA, and the current state of the offense. Lebeau has turned different rosters into top 5 defense before. Back in 05 casey hampton was the only guy on that list on the roster and they had the #4 defense

Legend

User Info Menu

Casey was a shell of himself that year....his burst off the snap was no where near where it was the few years before

Keisel should be brought back.

Linebackers have obviously been addressed, im excited about the current group.

Lewis was no where even close to as good as he was last year when he was with us....he thrived in the press man last season

I cannot see how Mitchell isnt an upgrade from Clark, and clark had a great year in 2012 despite being horrid in 13.

All i am saying is optimism is warranted given the draft, FA, and the current state of the offense. Lebeau has turned different rosters into top 5 defense before. Back in 05 casey hampton was the only guy on that list on the roster and they had the #4 defense
    I'm cautiously optimistic... lol.

I think we addressed our needs but we have no idea if they will be ready this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It didn't say Great Defense ... it said "Solid" ... that means with a good offense they can hold their own.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    It didn't say Great Defense ... it said "Solid" ... that means with a good offense they can hold their own.
    And, with a "solid" defense they put the Steeler win range at 9-11, to me a solid defense and a great offense give you 8-10 at best, not even sure the offense can be called great at this point. It looks like all the pieces are there, but until they're averaging 26/27 or more points per game, it's only a good offense. That along with a solid defense wouldn't warrant 9-11 win prediction in my opinion, I would say 7-9, maybe 10. I wouldn't have thought twice about the solid defense comment had the win range been lower. I don't think solid gets you over .500, solid is the definition of a .500 team more or less.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount