Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mendenhall may have played his last snap as a Steeler

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'd keep Mendenhall if he comes cheap... otherwise, I'd show him the door. When we drafted him, I thought he was going to be a stud. After watching him play, I'd say he was overrated and not a good selection in the 1st round. Maybe, he's just not a good fit in our offense.

But then again, maybe he just needs to:

1) Open his eyes when he runs
    2) Not run in the back of o-lineman
    3) Run w/ anticipation
    4) Not tap dance behind the LOS.
    5) Learn how to break a tackle and not break his shoulder in the process

He's a guy that can be easily replaced.... Take the money and sign a guard.
    I remember the days when everyone was saying the same things about FWP and how Mendy was the future. Back then I said it's the offensive line that's the problem and I'll say that again now. Both FWP and Mendy don't have a running style for our line. They both needed to be sprung to the 2nd level to be successful and our line can't do that consistently. That's just the type of runner they both are (or were in FWPs case). We need a guy that can break tackles and always fall forward. Even if the hole isn't there hit it anyway and get a yard or two. Don't stop in the backfield and look for somewhere else to go.

I think our running game will improve with Redman getting more carries but that doesn't neccessarily mean he's a better back than Mendy. He just has a style that better fits our line right now.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ikestop you are a wise man.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I remember the days when everyone was saying the same things about FWP and how Mendy was the future. Back then I said it's the offensive line that's the problem and I'll say that again now. Both FWP and Mendy don't have a running style for our line. They both needed to be sprung to the 2nd level to be successful and our line can't do that consistently. That's just the type of runner they both are (or were in FWPs case). We need a guy that can break tackles and always fall forward. Even if the hole isn't there hit it anyway and get a yard or two. Don't stop in the backfield and look for somewhere else to go.

I think our running game will improve with Redman getting more carries but that doesn't neccessarily mean he's a better back than Mendy. He just has a style that better fits our line right now.
    Anyone who is not Jerome Bettis or Franco Harris will not be an acceptable RB to most Steelers fans. Even Franco gotripped constantly by fans because he avoided unnecessary contact. Times have changed and that style of offense won't win championships.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, this is why I think we will take a running back with some speed in this draft. Barron Batch is a great kid, but he hasn't been fully healthy in years. We can't count on him.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Anyone who is not Jerome Bettis or Franco Harris will not be an acceptable RB to most Steelers fans. Even Franco gotripped constantly by fans because he avoided unnecessary contact. Times have changed and that style of offense won't win championships.
    My mom hated Franco because he avoided contact. LOL.

I never understood the hate for FWP. He made the most out of what he had... same with Redman. Mendenhall has all the tools... but he leaves a lot of yards on the field.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Franco was smart with saving his body for the next play, game or his lifes future. I wonder how many games he would have missed had he fought for an extra yard or two. The thing about Francos days, he knew he had an o-line that could get him the yards on the next play.
    I don't understand the hate for Willie either. No one can deny he didn't try hard, run hard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Franco wasn't even a power back. He was a shifty back with quick feet and break away speed. Ditto for the best years we had Jerome in 1996 and 1997.