Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Two reasons you don't take a ILB with a high pick in round 1:

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Heard of Sean Lee? Was he an exception to the rule? How about Navarrow Bowman?

Fact is that ILB is not as crucial a position as it once was. This is a passing league and there is often only one ILB on the field at a time. We already have one stud ILB that plays in passing situations. We don't need to waste a high pick on another one.
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute. We are talking about second round picks who came into the league and made an impact their first year. Neither Lee or Bowman did much in their first year in the league.

Rob can we at least keep this discussion the same without changing it?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fact is that ILB is not as crucial a position as it once was. This is a passing league and there is often only one ILB on the field at a time. We already have one stud ILB that plays in passing situations. We don't need to waste a high pick on another one.
    So you are saying that adding Te'o to play next to Timmons wouldn't improve the Steelers? That by doing so would be a waste of a pick?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a minute. We are talking about second round picks who came into the league and made an impact their first year. Neither Lee or Bowman did much in their first year in the league.

Rob can we at least keep this discussion the same without changing it?
    This wasn't about year one impact. Never said this discussion was about year one impact. This was about drafting players for the long term. Please stop with the year one impact thing. That is short sighted draft strategy. The Steelers draft for the long term, not the short term.

Uhh No, I am saying you don't need to draft ILB in round one to get pro bowl players. ILB has become a 2nd round position.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    So you are saying that adding Te'o to play next to Timmons wouldn't improve the Steelers? That by doing so would be a waste of a pick?
    Defenses are changing, your not going to stay in your base defense all game long. So who sits when the Steelers go into their Nickel looks? Te'o or Timmons?

Why draft a player that high who is going to be standing on the sidelines?

Much rather have LT,CB,S, or a Pass Rusher in the first round.

Legend

User Info Menu

Defenses are changing, your not going to stay in your base defense all game long. So who sits when the Steelers go into their Nickel looks? Te'o or Timmons?

Why draft a player that high who is going to be standing on the sidelines?

Much rather have LT,CB,S, or a Pass Rusher in the first round.
    In the nickel, you have a 4 man DL and 2 ILB, so they would both be out there.

When you go to dime, you'd have a 4 man DL and 1 ILB (you could use Te'o inside, and have Timmons put his hand in the dirt as a DE...granted, he wasn't a great replacement as a 3-4 OLB, but maybe he's better as a rush end in a 4 man line instead). We could also go with a 3 man DL in dime with 2 ILB, rushing either Timmons or Te'o from the inside (the offense wouldn't know which one).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In the nickel, you have a 4 man DL and 2 ILB, so they would both be out there.

When you go to dime, you'd have a 4 man DL and 1 ILB (you could use Te'o inside, and have Timmons put his hand in the dirt as a DE...granted, he wasn't a great replacement as a 3-4 OLB, but maybe he's better as a rush end in a 4 man line instead). We could also go with a 3 man DL in dime with 2 ILB, rushing either Timmons or Te'o from the inside (the offense wouldn't know which one).
    We played a lot of Dime this year. Why ask Timmons to do something you know he is not good at? Christ the man had 3 interceptions this year. We know he can hold down the middle.

No need to waste a pick on a devalued position when you already have one stud ILB. Te'o and Timmons strength is coverage. We don't need another Timmons clone.

We can pick up an ILB in the 2nd or 3rd and be just fine. Use your first pick on a value position LT,CB, or a Pass Rusher.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There are stars at every position in every round. BPA.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Manti Te'o but I don't think he is the best LB in this draft.

I think that honor would go to Jarvis Jones (Georgia).
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I'm a big fan of Manti Te'o but I don't think he is the best LB in this draft.

I think that honor would go to Jarvis Jones (Georgia).
    If he was a true linebacker I would agree.

Administrator

User Info Menu

He's a OLB. What is your definition of "true" LB?

EDIT: I didn't see the 'I' in 'ILB' in this thread title
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.